Is this the new standard and am I the only one who sees it?

I don't disagree with any of your post (only quoted a little to keep it brief), if I worked at Disney on minimum wage, I think I'd feel much the same way. However, this doesn't detract from the expectations that Disney has given us, and as consumers paying a lot of money, we expect their cast members to keep up that level of quality and service.

As someone said a few pages back, people move from around the world just to work at Walt Disney World -- these people obviously turn up with a desire to keep making this magic and keep the level or serivce at an all time high - but you're right, it's probably lost along the way due to poor working conditions and poor pay. Ultimartely though - this isn't my problem. It's Disney's. It's one they need to fix - because I'm now part of that crowd that says: 'enough is enough, you've lost my recurring visits'

Hi, I'd like to offer some insight and perspective into this as a current College Program participant.

I agree that quality of service at Disney World has gone down in recent years, but disagree that it is worse than Universal, having spent quite a lot of time in both Disney and Universal parks since moving down here to Florida. Furthermore, I take issue with your assertion in your original post that the reason the CM was yawning was due to boredom.

You said the CM was working at HM. HM is located in the busiest park of the resort, and that CM was most likely a CP. It is likely they are working 50 hours a week, with very little time between shifts (closing the park and then having to be there the next morning with only 8 hours in between) and so are exhausted thus possibly causing them to involuntarily yawn. It has happened to me on multiple occasions, despite my best efforts to ward it off. Please, give them the benefit of the doubt for something so involuntary, natural, and otherwise inconsequential.

Also quick note on cell phones in the parks: I've never witnessed any CMs use their personal phones when on stage. That is a strict no-no. If you see a CM on a cell phone, I can basically guarantee it is a work phone. Disney provides certain cast with iPhones in a black LifeProof case to use as a work phone, and you will often see them attached to the hip or lanyard or in a pocket of a CM. They are used often to coordinate and manage cast in that particular area and communicate with various other cast members across property. They are an invaluable asset we have at our disposal.

As multiple other people have suggested, the issue of a decrease in quality at the parks can be directly attributed to bad leadership, and I agree with this. I have come in contact with multiple leaders who don't inspire us cast to be putting on a good show, who aren't leading by example, who are sitting in their offices most of the time and only coming out to bark orders and rudely correct us when things go wrong rather than using it as a teaching moment and allowing us to understand why one way is better and how to improve our process.

Furthermore, as some others have pointed out, another cause of low quality is low morale. You mentioned here poor working conditions and poor pay. This is especially true for College Program participants. College Program participants sacrifice quite a bit to come here to Florida to work for Disney because we are sold on the "dream" of being a cast member. We, myself included, often put our lives on hold, move thousands of miles away to a place where we don't know anyone, and often spend a decent amount of money to get here, all to be placed in a role we have little choice over and a location we have no choice over. We don't get to choose what we work as like a normal job would, Disney decides for us, sometimes against our wishes. We don't know what the location on property is where we will be working in until about a month before we move to Florida. If we receive a job offer, we are told the general role, but not the location or any other specifics, and we have 48 hours to accept or decline the offer otherwise it is rescinded. Our current pay rate is $11 an hour, which was just raised from $10 this summer, and is below the normal CM pay rate of $13.50 an hour. Both of those rates, or at least especially the CP rate, however are below most other rates you can get at basic entry jobs like Target, which has committed to paying $15 an hour by the end of 2020 and is even in effect already at my local store. I took a pay cut from my previous job to come here and work for Disney. When we finally get here to Florida, we may not like our role, our location, or whatever but we already have so much invested in being here that its hard to quit and leave. If we are living in company-sponsored housing as most CPs are, if we quit we have to be fully moved out by 11am the next day. The housing we are provided is very poor quality for the price we are paying. The apartment Disney has me living in is a 6 person 3 bedroom unit. All roommates together, we are paying over $3,000 a month for this apartment. Way overpriced. So this "dream" we had of being a cast member when we are treated poorly by Disney with our scheduling, our pay, our housing, and dealing with leaders who berate us, can quickly die and lead to a poor morale which leads to a poor guest experience. A lot of CPs just are exhausted and want to go home or no longer care, guest experience be damned.

I am sorry this happens and I'm sorry you did not enjoy your vacation. I try to always put on a smile and create a great guest experience because that's what I grew up with coming to the parks as a kid, and thats what I want everyone especially the kids visiting to experience from me. This is a systemic issue that needs to be addressed from the top at Disney. They just shook up resort leadership and replaced the President of the resort, so hopefully this new president and executive leadership team can start tackling some of these issues.

Tony the Tigger

I dont get it. Whats is supposed to be if not "another thing coming"?

Another “think” coming.

That sounds awkward to me. “Thing” is fine. From Webster:

585AAD61-E85A-4331-A53F-408717149556.jpeg

Jon81uk

It is likely they are working 50 hours a week, with very little time between shifts (closing the park and then having to be there the next morning with only 8 hours in between) and so are exhausted

Soon as I saw this I thought, "but that's illegal" then I remembered the US is very different to Europe. By law we have to have 11 hours between shifts.

Brad Bishop

I really don't think the current management will do anything until revenue drops significantly.

I see them in a spiral now of:
- cut services
- raise prices
- increase revenue!

Eventually that'll start falling off and they'll be forced to either go back to the way things were or, more likely, determine that the way things were weren't working (forgetting about how they screwed it all up) and go forward with cutting services and raising prices to meet the decline.

Six Flags went through this during the early 2000s. Their staff was garbage. Their parks were garbage (literally garbage everywhere) and, eventually, they turned it around (late 2000s to present) simply by having their staff pay attention and having the right amount of staff for the jobs at hand. They also increased the landscaping, etc. of the parks and they're much, much nicer than they were in the past. It still took another 10 years for people to get past the "Six Flags is garbage" thoughts, locally, but that's the price you pay for letting things slide.

Granted, Six Flags isn't Disney but it does show how bad management can nearly destroy a company and how good management can recover it (which is rare).

The difference with Six Flags is that they had to go outside their organization to get a CEO (former Redskins owner, I think) and a team to turn it around. The current process at Disney is to groom and promote from the inside which leads to the cancer spreading.

Jedi Stitch

On another thread, some said "Whats wrong with relaxing the standards" Just make make short beards, pendent necklaces, and bracelet be ok part of the standard. To me this is the proof in the pudding, for letting standards relax. The market for employees who think, well just fire me, good luck finding someone better than me. The sad truth, is the companies are finding it harder to find good people.

Glasgow

I wonder what the graph would look like showcasing the gap between Exec and entry level salaries over the history of WDW. I'm sure its demoralizing as a CM seeing that your bosses can make anywhere from 10 to 1500x more than you .. gasp. And the fact that profits are off the scale, yet true fans are complaining about show quality more than ever (see last 100 threads on this site - how many are complaints?) - what does that say about the company as a whole? Correct - its driven by the same thing that drives most other non-experiential companies .. shareholder value only.**

**Note .. yes, I know this a capitalistic economy and if they don't like it, the CMs can work elsewhere. My point is simply the psychological effect that the salary gaps must have on the entry-level employees. Sure, everyone really should give their best effort, no matter what they are doing - but we don't live in an idyllic world, do we.

Lilofan

The more Washington squeezes the immigration / migrant issues the more we are losing out on the folks willing to do an honest days work. No, I don't have all the answers, but if you have unhappy cast members doing entry level jobs that the production or lack of it and customer service clearly will show. As former Pres Bush was quoted in Cleveland on March 20, 2006 " There are jobs that just simply aren't getting done because Americans won't do them. If you're making 50 cents an hour in Mexico, and you can make a lot more in America, and you've got mouths to feed, you're going to come to try to find the work. " If one really thought about it, the one cooking your food in a fine dining location is probably an immigrant.

Minnesota disney fan

I want to thank FinnWhitman for giving us the real scoop on what CP CM's have to go through. What an eye opener for me!
I can see why some things are the way they are after reading that.
I hope the new WDW head makes some much needed changes to the program for these CP's, and also all the CM's at WDW.
We really appreciate all the CM's who keep "show" as their priority. It really shows and makes our visits special.
Again, thanks for the heartfelt report on what a new CP goes through.

Randyland

Being a Cast Member is like being in Service in the Military...

It is an HONOR, and NOT just a job.

When you BELIEVE in what you stand in service for, it is very easy to reflect that through your actions and interactions...

Sure there is much to be said about society and today's morals...

And it is true when it is said that it is demoralizing to see those on high levels are collecting crazy high saleries, and record profits are announced while the Cast Members get paid little...

It is all about INSPIRATION...

It is about WANTING to be there.

THAT is what made Disney far different from ANY OTHER Amusement Park...

It is about the Dreams... And LIVING the Dreams.

What has been described by others is TRUE...

It is a result of a change in the MEANING of Disney...

If it is a giant mega profit making COMPANY, then it is every man for himself as each wants the most and resentment is in the air when big PROFITS are announced, while you do not get your fair share of that wealth...

However, when you are part of an IDEAL, it is NOT about money...

You serve for the enjoyment of SERVING...

You are PART of something meaningful, and it is an HONOR to be there.

What is required to restore all which has been lost, is the iconic leader to live the DREAMS working right along with the front line Cast Members...

The example to teach through his actions, and to uphold the REASONS for being there...

Yes, i once was a Cast Member, and through my actions i inspired all this and more...

It can be again; it first requires those in position of decision making, to understand there is a problem, and then the desire to correct it.

Hi, I'd like to offer some insight and perspective into this as a current College Program participant.

I agree that quality of service at Disney World has gone down in recent years, but disagree that it is worse than Universal, having spent quite a lot of time in both Disney and Universal parks since moving down here to Florida. Furthermore, I take issue with your assertion in your original post that the reason the CM was yawning was due to boredom.

You said the CM was working at HM. HM is located in the busiest park of the resort, and that CM was most likely a CP. It is likely they are working 50 hours a week, with very little time between shifts (closing the park and then having to be there the next morning with only 8 hours in between) and so are exhausted thus possibly causing them to involuntarily yawn. It has happened to me on multiple occasions, despite my best efforts to ward it off. Please, give them the benefit of the doubt for something so involuntary, natural, and otherwise inconsequential.

Also quick note on cell phones in the parks: I've never witnessed any CMs use their personal phones when on stage. That is a strict no-no. If you see a CM on a cell phone, I can basically guarantee it is a work phone. Disney provides certain cast with iPhones in a black LifeProof case to use as a work phone, and you will often see them attached to the hip or lanyard or in a pocket of a CM. They are used often to coordinate and manage cast in that particular area and communicate with various other cast members across property. They are an invaluable asset we have at our disposal.

As multiple other people have suggested, the issue of a decrease in quality at the parks can be directly attributed to bad leadership, and I agree with this. I have come in contact with multiple leaders who don't inspire us cast to be putting on a good show, who aren't leading by example, who are sitting in their offices most of the time and only coming out to bark orders and rudely correct us when things go wrong rather than using it as a teaching moment and allowing us to understand why one way is better and how to improve our process.

Furthermore, as some others have pointed out, another cause of low quality is low morale. You mentioned here poor working conditions and poor pay. This is especially true for College Program participants. College Program participants sacrifice quite a bit to come here to Florida to work for Disney because we are sold on the "dream" of being a cast member. We, myself included, often put our lives on hold, move thousands of miles away to a place where we don't know anyone, and often spend a decent amount of money to get here, all to be placed in a role we have little choice over and a location we have no choice over. We don't get to choose what we work as like a normal job would, Disney decides for us, sometimes against our wishes. We don't know what the location on property is where we will be working in until about a month before we move to Florida. If we receive a job offer, we are told the general role, but not the location or any other specifics, and we have 48 hours to accept or decline the offer otherwise it is rescinded. Our current pay rate is $11 an hour, which was just raised from $10 this summer, and is below the normal CM pay rate of $13.50 an hour. Both of those rates, or at least especially the CP rate, however are below most other rates you can get at basic entry jobs like Target, which has committed to paying $15 an hour by the end of 2020 and is even in effect already at my local store. I took a pay cut from my previous job to come here and work for Disney. When we finally get here to Florida, we may not like our role, our location, or whatever but we already have so much invested in being here that its hard to quit and leave. If we are living in company-sponsored housing as most CPs are, if we quit we have to be fully moved out by 11am the next day. The housing we are provided is very poor quality for the price we are paying. The apartment Disney has me living in is a 6 person 3 bedroom unit. All roommates together, we are paying over $3,000 a month for this apartment. Way overpriced. So this "dream" we had of being a cast member when we are treated poorly by Disney with our scheduling, our pay, our housing, and dealing with leaders who berate us, can quickly die and lead to a poor morale which leads to a poor guest experience. A lot of CPs just are exhausted and want to go home or no longer care, guest experience be damned.

I am sorry this happens and I'm sorry you did not enjoy your vacation. I try to always put on a smile and create a great guest experience because that's what I grew up with coming to the parks as a kid, and thats what I want everyone especially the kids visiting to experience from me. This is a systemic issue that needs to be addressed from the top at Disney. They just shook up resort leadership and replaced the President of the resort, so hopefully this new president and executive leadership team can start tackling some of these issues.
Very insightful post. Thanks for taking the time to compose it.

OG Runner

Currently at WDW for 19 days for my annual trip. It's expensive getting over here from the UK, so I tend to do it once and do it big.

I usually write off the threads that talk about declining service and getting less for more - but I'm coming to agree more and more. Now I'm experiencing a combination of the two; even the upcharge events (which I frequently splurge for) are getting worse.

But now onto the actual point of my post - which is a drill-down on a subsection of of the theme of 'reduced service'.

What the hell is going on with front-line cast members in the parks?

Has someone torn the manual and rule book for cast member training?

A hig level elaboration (as I lie in bed about to get ready for a day at Universal's IOA, where I know team member quality is going to surpass Disney's), the number of disconnected, disinterested cast members I've seen working the entry point of attractions and in stores/shops/merch locations around WDW is astonishing.

There's usually two CMs at the entry point of attractions, and on over half of attraction I've been on this trip - they've been engaged deep in personal conversation about what they did this weekend, their love lives, family, or something else. Not even glancing at guests as they enter an attraction or tap in a FastPass. Some of them not even looking in the direction of guests, but motioning them past with their hands while they continue their conversation.

I've seen multiple CMs taking personal phone calls on their Apple Watch's stealthily while working merchandise, and others checking their phones/social media'ing.

The icing on the cake was yesterday in Epcot, in Ye Olde Shoppe in the United Kingdom. A cast member working a checkout/till/register (whatever you call it), was using the land-phone line for a personal call while twirling her ****ing hair for a good 10 minutes, as I stood there in disbelief (as she was the only one working the checkout in that area of the store). I contemplated going over to get the name on her tag - which she conveniently either wasn't wearing, or it was out of view. I decided not to deal with her and walked to the other end of the shop to checkout my items, cause I would have unloaded a barrage of sarky comments to her.

I mean... if I wanted to deal with substandard disengaged CMs, I'd goto a theme park with better rides. I pay an extortionate amount of money for the high quality serivce and attractions WDW has to offer - I expect so much more than CMs who don't want to be there.

I'm surprised it's being allowed, because I refuse to believe team leads/supervisors aren't aware of this happening. It's prolific.

This is the first year I've really noticed this - and it is noticable. I should be fair and say it's not all CMs -- some of them are still attentive, amazing, engaged, and interested - but those are no longer the majority.

In another note - Epcot Forever was great last night. Around 5 shells fired during the show, but no other fireworks at all - yet they let the whole thing play out... music with some weak lighting -- all without an announcement, suspension of show, reset, or apology. That was the final straw, after paying $400+ for the Frozen Dessert Party (but far less under their immediate control).

I can understand you may have some legitimate complaints, but a few small remarks. You mention later in the discussion the individual on the phone was in costume, without a name tag, why would you expect her to wait on you? You also mention going to Universal
where you "know" you will get better customer service? Good Luck with that. I have been to the Universal Parks, last time in May of this
year. The customer service is not on the same level, and I don't mean in a good way.

Weather_Lady

I can understand you may have some legitimate complaints, but a few small remarks. You mention later in the discussion the individual on the phone was in costume, without a name tag, why would you expect her to wait on you? You also mention going to Universal
where you "know" you will get better customer service? Good Luck with that. I have been to the Universal Parks, last time in May of this
year. The customer service is not on the same level, and I don't mean in a good way.

I know it's all subjective, but as to customer service, my recent experiences mirror the OPs. Our last 4 family vacations were to Disney World (5 days), Disneyland (4 days), and Universal Orlando (twice; 3 days and 5 days), and the customer service we received from Universal (both at onsite hotels, and in the parks) was a step above the Disneyland employees in terms of friendliness and professionalism, and the Disney World cast members were several steps below that, for many of the reasons cited by the OP.

Granted, it's not like they were horrible, but there are definitely cracks forming in WDW's carefully-crafted CM facade. We saw things from Disney World employees that we'd never seen before in prior trips: snippy remarks and defensive attitudes in response to polite questions, blatantly ignoring customers waiting to be seated or helped in order to engage in personal and profanity-laced conversations with one another, etc. A TS waitress overtly complained that "you know, they don't pay any of us enough to do this, and I wouldn't be doing it if I wasn't so old and set it my ways -- that's why all the 20-somethings have left to go work for Walmart, which pays them better. This has become an awful place to work."

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom