Pre-Trip Running Around the World - A WDW Marathon Weekend Pre-Trip Report

During a week in which I finally finished our most recent trip report, read all about it here, and many of you likely thought you’d at least get a little break from our posts, I jump right back into the mix with possibly my most anticipated pre-trip report I’ve had the pleasure of sharing with all of you.

PREAMBLE

I have made mention in several of our recent reports that I have pretty much become obsessed with running over the last two years. At first, it was just something I was doing to keep active and feel better about myself. When I first started, I’d struggle to get through 2km of straight running but I kept at it and started to see results as the weeks went by. Soon enough I had worked my way up to 5k jaunts and eventually worked my way up to 10k runs.

As I continued to enjoy hitting the pavement and the results started to show, running had become a major part of my weekly routine. So much so that I was making sure to carve out time to run on family vacations or business trips.

It wasn’t until last fall that I set my sights on training for and completing my first half marathon. When I first started that seemed like an impossible feat, but after a year of solid results, I felt it was within grasp. I thought my local half marathon would be the obvious starting point but I’m talking with Kelly, we decided that a WDW trip focused on the marathon weekend would be a great motivator to wanna train hard and accomplish a big goal all while enjoying another visit to the World.

With that, we started planning a trip that would be just the two of us, no kids this time, to make this happen.
IMG_0193.JPEG

THE TEAM

Not long after making the decision to pull this together, we were out for dinner with our best friends, Mike and Kerri, and we told them about the big plan to run this half marathon in Disney.

They, too, are big Disney fans but never in a million years would I expect them to say “that sounds so cool, we should do it too!”

With that comment, the conversation got pretty serious and not long after it was decided that they would join us on the trip and Mike would start training to run the half with me. I was pretty excited to have my best buddy commit to this, even if the task ahead is pretty daunting.

Not only did Mike step up, but Kerri somehow convinced Kelly to run the 5k with her to kick off the week. I couldn’t believe Kelly said yes but to her credit, she’s been running regularly to ensure she finishes this race in a respectable time!

Mike and Kerri will be staying at All-Star Music Resort and will both be making their first visit to the World in several decades. Everyone is pretty fired up about the trip and we already had an early-summer running summit to start building out the plans for our trip.

We will be packing a lot of action and not a lot of sleep into a few pretty compact days but it should make for an extremely memorable visit.

WARM-UP

With the wheels now in motion, we started figuring out where we wanted to stay. Because we wanted to save up some of our DVC points, we felt like renting points from David’s DVC was the way to go. As February 2019 approached, we narrowed our resort selection to our favourite property on the resort, Wilderness Lodge. We decided that we’d try for Boulder Ridge instead of Copper Creek.

When the 11-month window opened up, we put in our request and within hours we had received word that there were points available and a booking secured at Boulder Ridge if we wanted to move ahead. We were pretty pumped to finalize the booking on a deluxe studio for the two of us to enjoy from January 8-12, 2020.
IMG_7856.JPEG

In preparing for the trip I did a lot of research behind when you can register for the races and how quickly things tend to book up. Sounded like the 5 and 10k races sold out very quickly so we had to be on the ball when the registration dates opened up. Just so happens that DVC members get advanced registration which took place while we were at Aulani and with the time change, I would have needed to set an alarm for 1 am to be ready.

By the time I woke up, all available space for the 5k was booked so we had to wait for general public. Thankfully when that day came a week later, we were able to secure the 5k for both Kelly and Kerri and the half marathon for me. Mike has yet to pull the trigger but has a little time to finalize that as I see there is still the option to register for this race. I keep bugging him to register so it’s only a matter of time.

THE ROUTE

Needless to say, we will all be making the trip from Edmonton down to Orlando and at the moment the plan is to hop on the redeye from Edmonton to Toronto, then down to Orlando. If all goes according to plan, we will arrive on January 8th around 1030 am. From there we will make our way directly to the run expo to pick up our race kits before heading to our hotels to drop off whatever carry on luggage we brought with us.

We will meet back up at EPCOT for our first park day and try to squeeze in as much as we can. The ladies will be running the 5k bright and early the next morning so we’ve made reservations at Tutto Italia at 630 pm so they can carb up!
IMG_7887.JPEG

January 9th will be a very early morning as the buses to the 5k start transporting runners at 330 am. Once the girls go the distance we will head back to the hotel to shower and change before bolting over for a day at Hollywood Studios and our first experience with Galaxy’s Edge! We will wrap up our evening with reservations at the Sci-Fi which even though we pushed hard for the 50’s, Mike and Kerri selected.
IMG_8493.JPEG

January 10th will be a full day from rope drop to park close at Magic Kingdom with reservations for a late breakfast at the Crystal Palace and a chance for Mike and me to carbo-load at the Plaza for dinner. As we planned this trip, the most unlikely thing I thought I’d hear Mike say was he needed to do a character breakfast while we were there and ideally that breakfast would include an omelet station. Done and done!
IMG_8356.JPEG

January 11th is the day of the half marathon and will be another very early morning as we make our way to the starting position at EPCOT. Neither of us has run this distance before and since we are very much novice “racers” we will be in the corral of runners who expect to finish at 2 hours and 45 minutes or more. Ideally, we want to be done in 2:30 but we shall see what happens!

After the craziness of the race, we will head back to shower and change before making our way to the final park of the trip, Animal Kingdom. I cannot wait to introduce them to Pandora and Mike has already made it very clear that he is super nervous for Everest!
IMG_7910.JPEG

Our long day will conclude with a trip to Disney Springs to have a celebratory dinner at the Boathouse. Having become obsessed with the WDW Radio Show Podcast of late, and hearing Lou Mongello rave about how amazing the Boathouse is, I felt like this was a great way to end the trip.

The next morning we will load up and head back to the airport to make our way home. Hopefully, both Mike and I will be able to walk through the terminals but at least there will be other options available to us if we just can muster up the strength!

We still have quite a bit to do in the time we have before we leave with the next big items including securing flights, buying our park tickets and booking our FastPass+ reservations.

And I guess we still have a lot of KM’s to log as we build up to our race days!

I look forward to keeping you all in the loop as more of these plans fall into place and as a first-time marathoner at WDW, any insight you have is most appreciated!

riverside

Premium Member
I've always enjoyed the food at 'Ohana but I would say California Grill since you've never been there. I've only been there once & while I wasn't blown away by the food it was very good. We have reservations there for November so I must have liked it since we're going back---but then again we also have them for 'Ohana!! I guess I'm really of no help!! 🤣

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
CALIFORNIA GRILL!!! Good for you for getting into running! What a great motivator for a Disney Trip!
My first response to the thread was BE OUR GUEST but they don't have park tickets this night but it's my #1 restaurant!

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestion! I am definitely getting motivated for a different experience this go around. Be Our Guest would be a good option but as far as I know we don't plan on going to the park that evening.

I've always enjoyed the food at 'Ohana but I would say California Grill since you've never been there. I've only been there once & while I wasn't blown away by the food it was very good. We have reservations there for November so I must have liked it since we're going back---but then again we also have them for 'Ohana!! I guess I'm really of no help!! 🤣

Thanks for the input! Since we know what to expect at Ohana, it sounds like Cali is winning out. Plus, we can then slip up to the Top of the World Lounge for a nightcap. And since it sounds more and more likely that we will be returning in September 2020 for a big family trip, Ohana can find its way back into the mix at that point!

I would do Cali Grill over ‘Ohana, but I might do Narcoosee’s over CG.

Perhaps Kelly and I may have to talk about our options still!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
As of now, we have made a reservation for California Grill on January 7th at 900pm. I've put in a TouringPlans reservation request for 730 so fingers crossed that pops up.

Right now it's just for Kelly and I but if Mike and Kerri decide to join we can always adjust. Ideally, we'd like to be in the restaurant for the MK fireworks, which Kelly thinks will be at 800pm, but if we end up sticking to the 900pm dinner we can always kick off the night at with a drink at the Top of the World Lounge while watching the show.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Thanks to reading some other trip reports, Kelly took the advice of others and was able to jump on an Oga's Cantina reservation at 1135am on January 9th!

While the drink prices look a little steep, I'm still pretty excited to check it out. I have plenty of time to debate on my decision of a cool Star Wars themed beer or one of the unique cocktails.

Very much looking forward to experiencing Galaxy's Edge!

Rista1313

Thanks to reading some other trip reports, Kelly took the advice of others and was able to jump on an Oga's Cantina reservation at 1135am on January 9th!

While the drink prices look a little steep, I'm still pretty excited to check it out. I have plenty of time to debate on my decision of a cool Star Wars themed beer or one of the unique cocktails.

Very much looking forward to experiencing Galaxy's Edge!

And by that time, both rides will be open. Woo hoo!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

Been a while since my last update to our pre-trip report but now that we are closing in on two months away things are starting to come together.

Training for the races has been ongoing over the last few months and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be ready for the half. Kelly has been pretty diligent in getting out and training for the 5K as well and has finished a few full distance runs in really good times. I know Mike has been logging a lot of miles and is on the Jeff Galloway training program to build up to race day. Kerri has been working out like a fiend but not sure how much running she has done! Still, we're all looking forward to getting out there in January.

A few months back we ended up deciding to leave a day earlier than planned and arrive in the afternoon of January 7th instead of taking the redeye first thing January 8th. We both added an extra night's stay to our reservations and as of last night booked our flights. It'll be a long travel day starting with our first flight at 630 am but we should land in the late afternoon, a little after 400 pm which will give us more than enough time to settle in.

Our DME requests were approved and now we await our luggage tags to arrive in the mail!

We will be buying our park passes next week (thanks Disney for the Canadian resident discount) and preparing to book our FastPasses on November 7th. We planned on buying 4-day passes but it looks like we will pay the extra $20 and add that fifth day so we can hit up one of the parks the day we arrive. Looks like EPCOT is open the latest that evening so that will likely be our spot.

More updates to come as we continue to prepare for the FP+ date.

Oh, and as an aside, we also secured accommodation for yet another visit in September 2020 to celebrate both Kelly's mom (65) and my moms (60) birthdays. The moms will be there for 10 days, Kelly's sister, her hubby and their kids are staying for a week and our family will be enjoying a full two weeks.

Everyone is staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas for the trip but Kelly, the kids and I will be switching resorts halfway through. Right now we are slated to stay at our home resort of Saratoga Springs but plan to change to another resort once the 7-month window opens. Much more to come on that but I clearly have a tonne to write on this trip before I dive into the next one!

Finally, one last thing, after quite some debate, I decided to start a Disney-specific IG account to document our family adventures. If you'd like to follow along we can be found here Canadians_In_Fantasyland

I can't wait to share more!

Oh bother!

Hi everyone!

Been a while since my last update to our pre-trip report but now that we are closing in on two months away things are starting to come together.

Training for the races has been ongoing over the last few months and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be ready for the half. Kelly has been pretty diligent in getting out and training for the 5K as well and has finished a few full distance runs in really good times. I know Mike has been logging a lot of miles and is on the Jeff Galloway training program to build up to race day. Kerri has been working out like a fiend but not sure how much running she has done! Still, we're all looking forward to getting out there in January.

A few months back we ended up deciding to leave a day earlier than planned and arrive in the afternoon of January 7th instead of taking the redeye first thing January 8th. We both added an extra night's stay to our reservations and as of last night booked our flights. It'll be a long travel day starting with our first flight at 630 am but we should land in the late afternoon, a little after 400 pm which will give us more than enough time to settle in.

Our DME requests were approved and now we await our luggage tags to arrive in the mail!

We will be buying our park passes next week (thanks Disney for the Canadian resident discount) and preparing to book our FastPasses on November 7th. We planned on buying 4-day passes but it looks like we will pay the extra $20 and add that fifth day so we can hit up one of the parks the day we arrive. Looks like EPCOT is open the latest that evening so that will likely be our spot.

More updates to come as we continue to prepare for the FP+ date.

Oh, and as an aside, we also secured accommodation for yet another visit in September 2020 to celebrate both Kelly's mom (65) and my moms (60) birthdays. The moms will be there for 10 days, Kelly's sister, her hubby and their kids are staying for a week and our family will be enjoying a full two weeks.

Everyone is staying in the Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas for the trip but Kelly, the kids and I will be switching resorts halfway through. Right now we are slated to stay at our home resort of Saratoga Springs but plan to change to another resort once the 7-month window opens. Much more to come on that but I clearly have a tonne to write on this trip before I dive into the next one!

Finally, one last thing, after quite some debate, I decided to start a Disney-specific IG account to document our family adventures. If you'd like to follow along we can be found here Canadians_In_Fantasyland

I can't wait to share more!
Looking forward to your trip report and now following along on IG!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
With having two trips in the same year, have you looked at buying APs? The Gold APs you can get through DVC will probably end up saving you money over buying park tickets two separate times. Just something to thing about. I'll be down in Disney the same dates as you doing the 10k. We're staying at Copper Creek.

We have looked into APs and while that was originally going to be the route we took, the Canadian discount made things quite cheaper for us. But that was with platinum passes. Gold didn’t show as an option when we were looking. Perhaps that’s because our DVC is resale? Not sure exactly but worth a phone call in the morning to find out.

Very cool that you’ll be there at the same time and on the same property! Hopefully we will cross paths while we’re there.

Looking forward to your trip report and now following along on IG!

Thanks for following along!

Last edited:

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
With having two trips in the same year, have you looked at buying APs? The Gold APs you can get through DVC will probably end up saving you money over buying park tickets two separate times. Just something to thing about. I'll be down in Disney the same dates as you doing the 10k. We're staying at Copper Creek.

and just to follow up on this, I did call member services this morning to confirm we are not eligible for Gold passes. Bummer, but that Canadian discount will definitely help out.

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
We’re under a week away from our FP+ window opening up and today we picked up our park passes (thanks, Canadian resident discount!).

5-day, one park per day passes are all set and linked to our MDE. Mike and Kerri will be purchasing theirs in the next day or two.

Now we wait for that early wake up cal Friday morning to start booking those FPs!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
Our 60-day mark has arrived and that meant setting the alarm for 500am to book our FP+ reservations.

The plan was to start with Animal Kingdom on our last park day (January 11) to try and secure Flights of Passage. The early morning must have left me a little foggy as I started searching and booking FPs on January 12! Good thing I realized and made the switch to the right day.

All in all the wake up call was worth it. Here’s our lineup for the trip.

232BBB62-2335-4C53-BDA2-EE0DC79DE958.jpeg
FB62FE01-8ADB-4A05-B9CB-3439EFD7BE93.jpeg
4DA9ACFA-D26F-4AF2-BC6A-5B8AFFEF343E.jpeg
A94526C5-BE06-4107-AAA9-7675598BEAFD.jpeg
5052B305-D64E-4469-820E-D69095293059.jpeg

Not too shabby in my mind. I’m sure that most of our morning on January 9th will be dedicated to Galaxy’s Edge!

With that, all of our advanced planning is complete. Maybe a few tweaks here and there leading up but the only thing left to do is countdown the days...and keep training of course!

Matt and Kelly

Original Poster
This arrived late last week...

6DDB353A-1485-48DB-A133-C4AA0DB7EE55_Original.jpeg

We're under 30 days away from taking off and I cannot be more excited. The training is coming along and the hype around Rise of the Resistance has made for even more anticipation of getting back Home.

We will be keeping a close eye on how guests are able to access the new attraction and whether the current Boarding Group system will stick around until our visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom