Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

phi2134

Smugglers run should be that the captain of the ship has been taken by the hutts, bounty Hunters , or the first order. The guests aboard the millennium falcon at the time have to team up and figure out how to fly the falcon and get them back. Bring in more iconic characters but newer versions...jabba the hutt's son, a new bounty Hunter, or kylo Ren simply hating the falcon and it's connection with his dad. Would help out with the guests needing the figure out all the controls of the falcon and being thrust into the conflict.

Goodeone

It's become absolutely painful to even remotely attempt to follow along with the construction and updates on SW:GE on these threads. The constant back and forth about the movies and how they have or haven't destroyed the franchise is IMO exactly what's wrong with the franchise.

As has been discussed by many, there are many factors that have gone in to the lower than expected crowds and soft bookings for fall at WDW...but I would be willing to place a strong bet that new trilogy vs. old trilogy is very far down that list. AP blockouts, warning after warning of crowd levels, ROTR not being open yet, lack of fall discounts, and others are likely much bigger influences in what's happening.

CinematicFusion

The question is.... will Galaxy’s Edge have a Darth Vader problem? Will the audience not care if he isn’t around in the coming years when they buy a ticket to Galaxy’s Edge?

According to USA Today back in 2018.
Darth Vader is the most recognized character in Star Wars. Han Solo..2, Luke Skywalker 3.... with the new trilogy Rey comes in at 11. Finn at 17. Ren at 18.

Is that a problem going forward for the new land? Or does it even matter?

drod1985

The question is.... will Galaxy’s Edge have a Darth Vader problem? Will the audience not care if he isn’t around in the coming years when they buy a ticket to Galaxy’s Edge?

First, they're not buying a ticket to Galaxy's Edge, they're buying a ticket to Hollywood Studios.

As a Star Wars fan Darth Vader's physical absence in GE means absolutely nothing to me because the land represents the repercussions of his actions on the Star Wars galaxy. And in my experience it's not something the general audience is going to care to even ask about. They're not going to determine whether they'll make a visit to Disney's new flagship land based on what characters are present from the films. At the end of the day you'll have new rides with the Falcon, X-Wings, Stormtroopers, the Cantina, and general Star Wars architecture. That's going to be a draw, not a guy in a Vader costume or a bad Han Solo lookalike.

If we're talking GE problems based on DL's opening... Well first and foremost GE needs to get ROTR online and increase overall streetmosphere/activity. Then the land will be fully fledged and operating as intended. After that they probably need to add a more family friendly attraction with no height requirement like the rumored Bantha people mover.

WDW Pro

According to USA Today back in 2018.
Darth Vader is the most recognized character in Star Wars. Han Solo..2, Luke Skywalker 3.... with the new trilogy Rey comes in at 11. Finn at 17. Ren at 18.

Is that a problem going forward for the new land? Or does it even matter?

Would you open a Harry Potter expansion at a park worth 1.5 billion dollars and not have it feature Harry Potter? Would you give the green light to having that expansion star Dobby instead?

jrogue

Tried going back in the discussion but saw mostly movie arguments ... any updates on Rise of the Resistance's construction? Keeping fingers crossed that it's open by my trip in October! I saw some places mention it should be opening this year, with some even speculating by the HS opening.

It would be awesome if it could open with the rest of GE in HS, but that's coming up really quickly...

WDW Pro

The movies are not called Darth Vader, Darth is not the main character in all of movies, that the land is not a Darth Vader expansion. Thus, a comparison to a Harry Potter expansion is really meaningless.

If comparing one major theme park expansion to another major theme park expansion is meaningless, I have no idea what metrics we can use to create a hierarchy of success in execution. This just feels like postmodernism applied to a business model. If your number one star in your franchise isn't utilized in a massive investment, and your investment isn't viewed within your company as being successful, then clearly not using your top character is something to look at. And then when your top ten characters aren't used, well, you might want to look at that.

CinematicFusion

First, they're not buying a ticket to Galaxy's Edge, they're buying a ticket to Hollywood Studios.

As a Star Wars fan Darth Vader's physical absence in GE means absolutely nothing to me because the land represents the repercussions of his actions on the Star Wars galaxy. And in my experience it's not something the general audience is going to care to even ask about. They're not going to determine whether they'll make a visit to Disney's new flagship land based on what characters are present from the films. At the end of the day you'll have new rides with the Falcon, X-Wings, Stormtroopers, the Cantina, and general Star Wars architecture. That's going to be a draw, not a guy in a Vader costume or a bad Han Solo lookalike.

If we're talking GE problems based on DL's opening... Well first and foremost GE needs to get ROTR online and increase overall streetmosphere/activity. Then the land will be fully fledged and operating as intended. After that they probably need to add a more family friendly attraction with no height requirement like the rumored Bantha people mover.

Darth Vader will always be one of the biggest characters in the Star Wars universe to many... and is still the number one character to this day.

When I went to Disney World right after Star Wars opened... I imaged the contemporary hotel as the Death Star, John Williams music dancing in my mind. The shuttle was the falcon, we were captured In the tractor beam and about to meet Darth Vader.

Characters are everything to a story.

I don’t have the answer, time will tell is Galaxy’s Edge has a Vader Problem

CinematicFusion

Would you open a Harry Potter expansion at a park worth 1.5 billion dollars and not have it feature Harry Potter? Would you give the green light to having that expansion star Dobby instead?
Agree... it’s an interesting discussion.

They have opened a land with the 13th and 18th most recognized characters in Star Wars. Rey and Ren.

Who are the 13th and 18th most recognized characters in Potter?

CinematicFusion

Tried going back in the discussion but saw mostly movie arguments ... any updates on Rise of the Resistance's construction? Keeping fingers crossed that it's open by my trip in October! I saw some places mention it should be opening this year, with some even speculating by the HS opening.

It would be awesome if it could open with the rest of GE in HS, but that's coming up really quickly...
Rumors have pointed to October

Agree... it’s an interesting discussion.

They have opened a land with the 13th and 18th most recognized characters in Star Wars. Rey and Ren.

Who are the 13th and 18th most recognized characters in Potter?

We aren’t allowed to discuss the films but it could be Ep.9 brings Galaxy’s Edge together.
Have to wait and see.

false equivalency seeing as the harry potter parks are based off of the original movies and not the new movies

Now i'm sure when they open a Fantastical Beast area we won't see Harry potter there.

I mean they essentially did open Harry Potter lands with out Harry.

but how often do you see Harry at Diagone Alley? or the Wizarding World? Do you ever see Harry or any of the cast walking around the parks.

We see him from a distance in Gringots or at least a CG version of him and we see him video of him in what 1 or 2 scenes in Hogwarts? then a silhouette of an actor playing him on the Hogwarts express.

When Star Tours opened none of the trio were featured at the ride.

A better comparison would be opening a 1.5 billion dollar Harry Potter land and only having the characters from the Fantastic Beasts movies.

no it would be like opening Fantastic Beasts land and only having characters from Fantastic Beasts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom