News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

DisneyJoe

emergency equipment is a sound guess... but what they include is up for speculation.

Padded seats would have been nice... the idea of being able to quickly pop them in or out as an assembly could have had some legs. Hopefully the slats will be contoured enough to be comfortable (this is from the guy who can't sit on bleachers flat anymore due to my back issues)
Slats for airflow?

Smooth

I wonder what this is.

View attachment 365652

It's actually missing in the shot at the end of the video...

View attachment 365654
Alligator repellant ...
I wonder what this is.

View attachment 365652

It's actually missing in the shot at the end of the video...

View attachment 365654
Alligator repellant ...

joelkfla

They all tilt out. The two on the left and the side one are closed while the 3 on the right are open.
Then what's this?

Answering my own question - looks like a deflector to direct incoming air downward. I've seen those sold for residential heating registers.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

That is to ensure the greatest amount of airflow. Were all the windows tilting out, the glass would basically block any kind of circulation, but with all the glass opening in the same direction, airflow will be maximized.

The mesh that prevents anyone from throwing things out of the window should be more than enough to prevent guests getting wet should it rain...but it appears as though the windows can also be closed.

However, there is one thing that's really irking me - the graphic doesn't appear to be perforated (note that it is nearly impossible to see the trees behind the Pluto graphic - were it perforated, the trees would be easier to see, like at the top of the center window; and you would also see the moire effect you see in the mesh on the right-hand side). Why on earth would they use solid graphics and hinder guests from seeing out? I'm also wondering how they handled the graphic on the mesh covering the window openings...

Grimley1968

In the videos I've watched of unwrapped Skyliner gondolas on the lines in testing, the windows all open outward in every gondola shown. For that demonstration gondola on the ground, obviously one side had its windows installed to open on the inside, but that does not appear to be the way the gondola windows will operate in future actual operation, when all the testing video is taken into consideration. Here's a still from one of the Passport to the Parks videos:

Last edited:

joelkfla

In the videos I've watched of unwrapped Skyliner gondolas on the lines in testing, the windows all open outward in every gondola shown. For that demonstration gondola on the ground, obviously one side had its windows installed to open on the inside, but that does not appear to be the way the gondola windows will operate in future actual operation, when all the testing video is taken into consideration. Here's a still from one of the Passport to the Parks videos:

View attachment 365754
It looks like the windows do indeed open outward, but what's seen in my screenshot is a deflector mounted inside the window to direct airflow downward. If the windows were open, the view thru the screen would be clearer, as it is thru the rear windows.

Club Cooloholic

Lets be honest with many of today's guests, you are rarely going to fit 10 people in there, nor would you want to other than in the winter! But it makes me wonder when they come out with figures of how many people per hour will be moving on them. I hope operators treat it like a park ride and push to make it as "comfortably" full as possible, even if you are riding with strangers at least during busy times.
Two questions, how do wheel chairs and strollers work and are strollers even allowed if they fold up easy?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom