Thoughts on switching hotels?

GotEarsSayCheers

Original Poster
We are currently planning a trip 2 adults and 2 kids. Since we don't want to break the bank but we love the beach club we are thinking about doing like 9 days at pop century and 4 days at the beach club. Have any of you ever switched resorts? Will Disney move luggage and provide transportation to the next resort? We have to do beach club for that awesome pool.

CaptainAmerica

We are currently planning a trip 2 adults and 2 kids. Since we don't want to break the bank but we love the beach club we are thinking about doing like 9 days at pop century and 4 days at the beach club. Have any of you ever switched resorts? Will Disney move luggage and provide transportation to the next resort? We have to do beach club for that awesome pool.
I've done it but don't really like it. Mentally, it shortens the trip IMO. Instead of thinking "I have a 13 night trip," you end up thinking "I have a 9 night trip followed by a 4 night trip," which feels shorter, not to mention you lose at least half a day to packing and moving.

Yes, Disney will move your luggage for you. No, they will not transfer you directly. You'd be taking a bus to Epcot and then walking to Beach Club.

The only time I'd really recommend a split stay is if you had no choice in order to catch the specific date of a promotion or if availability at your main resort was limited.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I've set this up numerous times for clients. What @CaptainAmerica says above is true about the luggage. They will transport your luggage, you do need to have it notated on your reservation when you check in at the hotel and I would make sure to mention it when you are checking out also. I would suggest taking a lyft over to the Beach Club since it will be quicker but won't break the bank so that you can check in and utilize the tickets/dining on that portion of your stay.

Pam

We just did this in January. While Disney makes it very easy for you to move, I agree with the above post about the mental stress of it, silly as that sounds. It really felt like we had two short stays, and I wouldn’t do it again unless we had to. Also, if you have the dining plan, you will have two separate plans, as they are tied to each reservation, which just makes one more thing you have to manage.

Tony the Tigger

I've set this up numerous times for clients. What @CaptainAmerica says above is true about the luggage. They will transport your luggage, you do need to have it notated on your reservation when you check in at the hotel and I would make sure to mention it when you are checking out also. I would suggest taking a lyft over to the Beach Club since it will be quicker but won't break the bank so that you can check in and utilize the tickets/dining on that portion of your stay.

Pam

I would add to that: if you’re going to take a Lyft anyway, take at least the important luggage with you, if not all of it. Then you don’t have to worry about what time your luggage will arrive.

As someone who often takes short trips, I’ve found a split stay has the opposite effect: it makes the trip seem longer, like two separate trips. The first day of arrival seems further away after you’ve moved.

Just keep the room from getting out of hand so getting ready to move doesn’t become an hours long project.

nickys

Premium Member
We do split stays a lot. We have had some issues with the luggage transfer (bags not getting transferred or going to the wrong resort). However you could get an Uber and take it with you.

Always move up, so from POP to BC!

And if you do it, make sure you take a day or a couple of half days to use Stormalong Bay. In case it closes early for lightning etc. Have a leisurely start, swim, then head into Epcot for the late afternoon and evening.

Hcalvert

I am going to have my first split stay in July. I would have loved to stay entirely at Poly, but my brother could not afford it. When I had to add my one extra day, it was just as expensive to book a room at POR as renting points for an one-night stay at Poly. My booked room category wasn't available, so I was going to have switch rooms regardless. I figured if I had to do that, I may as well stay at a deluxe resort for a night. I don't think that this will really affect me negatively other than the bother of transferring to another resort. I am just going to meet my brother at the second resort (POR) the next day when he arrives.

Club Cooloholic

I've done it but don't really like it. Mentally, it shortens the trip IMO. Instead of thinking "I have a 13 night trip," you end up thinking "I have a 9 night trip followed by a 4 night trip," which feels shorter, not to mention you lose at least half a day to packing and moving.

Yes, Disney will move your luggage for you. No, they will not transfer you directly. You'd be taking a bus to Epcot and then walking to Beach Club.

The only time I'd really recommend a split stay is if you had no choice in order to catch the specific date of a promotion or if availability at your main resort was limited.
I would agree with you if they were on a short trip but 14 days at the same resort? I think breaking it up is a good idea, especially if you want to get a taste of another level of resort to see if you like it and want to do more of it next time.
You would think i was insane, next trip is 4 nights at BCV, 3 at Poly, 3 at Vero, 1 at OKW lol

CaptainAmerica

I would agree with you if they were on a short trip but 14 days at the same resort? I think breaking it up is a good idea, especially if you want to get a taste of another level of resort to see if you like it and want to do more of it next time.
You would think i was insane, next trip is 4 nights at BCV, 3 at Poly, 3 at Vero, 1 at OKW lol
I'd rather do 8 nights at a deluxe than 9 at a value followed by 4 at a deluxe.

My worst split stay was 1 at PORS, 7 at Saratoga, 1 at POFQ.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Split stays are a pain. If you do one, move between resorts as early as possible and move your own bags so they're there when your room is ready.

Weather_Lady

We did it last time (on a much shorter trip -- 3 nights onsite at Universal, 3 nights at the Beach Club, then 2 nights at the Polynesian). Our reasons were much the same as the OP's: for the Disney leg, we'd always dreamed of staying at the Polynesian, but it wasn't going to fit the budget for the whole stay, so we split it. (We were staying in DVC studios on rented points, so the price differences were probably different from the norm: for our dates, it was $250/night at BC and $411/night at the Polynesian).

We had no issues at all with the move and didn't find it very inconvenient, BUT -- and this is a big BUT -- we are light packers, we don't tend to spread things all over our hotel room, and we packed specifically to accommodate the move. By that, I mean we each had a single 21" carryon bag with 5 days' worth of clothes, PJs and swimwear packed in packing cubes color-coded for each person. I did laundry on our second day at the Beach Club so we could "reset" our wardrobe for the second half of the trip. Other than our "cubed" clothes, we had only a couple of dopp kits for toiletries/makeup, a foldable little bin of breakfast items, and a packing cube of sundries (e.g., phone chargers, disposable ponchos, clothespins, laundry bag), all of which could just be unzipped and tossed in a dresser drawer or under the vanity when we unpacked.

Packing in this modular fashion meant that packing up each hotel room, and unpacking it again at our destination, took about 5 minutes each time. On our "hotel switching" day at WDW, we simply dropped our carryons with Beach Club Bell Services on our way out to rope drop the MK (with instructions to transfer them to the Polynesian). Although we usually take a mid-day nap/pool break, we structured our "moving day" differently to minimize the pain of temporary homelessness: we stayed at MK until after the 4pm DVC check-in time (lingering to see the 3pm parade, which we usually miss). Then we took the monorail to the Poly to check in, head to the room (our bags arrived within 10 minutes of our calling for them), relax by the pool and enjoy a dinner reservation at 'Ohana. Because we also structured our touring to take advantage of our transportation options (going to Epcot and HS via boat/walking path while at Beach Club, and MK via the monorail while at the Polynesian), we felt like we really got the best of all possible worlds.

I wouldn't recommend a split stay to everybody, however. If yours is a party that just really likes to "use the space" and spread out in your hotel room, or if packing and unpacking are a lengthy and/or stressful process for you, then doubling the amount of times you have to do it on vacation might be more hassle than it's worth. Ditto if you have small children who need a nap every afternoon and would be overtired for the day if you weren't able to get into your hotel room on "moving day" until after check-in time. However, if you see the hotels as attractions unto themselves, are torn as to which ones you want to try, and intend to take advantage of different' hotels' proximity to different parks (and/or their onsite dining options), a well-executed split stay can add fun and excitement to your trip.

Last edited:

JusticeDisney

I’m sorry, but I just don’t get the whole split stay thing. I mean, is there anywhere else in the world where you would vacation and actually move hotels in the middle of that vacation? I must be missing something. Then again, to each his/her own.

nickys

Premium Member
I’m sorry, but I just don’t get the whole split stay thing. I mean, is there anywhere else in the world where you would vacation and actually move hotels in the middle of that vacation? I must be missing something. Then again, to each his/her own.

Fly drive holidays are actively marketed all over the US! And I spent 3 months in Australia travelling all over the country. Cruises, tours, multi-destination breaks. People do this all the time in various parts of the world.

I get this is slightly different, you’re in the same area, visiting the same paces but staying in a different resort. But the resorts are so different, that some people like to,experience more than one. Sometimes it’s a case of availability too.

slappy magoo

If you're going to do it...
1: Make Beach Club the 2nd part of the trip.
2: The day you check out of Pop, wear your bathing suits out with some kind of coverup over them, and keep a change of clothes for your party with you in one or two backpacks.
3: If you don't want to cab or take a Lyft or Uber direct to Beach Club, bus to Hollywood Studios. From there, you can walk or boat or perhaps Skyline to Beach Club if it's open by then. That'll be easier than going to Epcot because you'd have to walk through the park to get to the "back door" at International Gateway to get to Beach Club. Much shorter to do Hollywood Studios. Plus you'd be using one of your park tickets to walk through.
4: Once at the Beach Club, you might have to go to the front desk to ensure your MagicBands are ready to use at the resort, but then, head on over to the pool and get your fill.
5: If you can get reservations at Beaches and Cream for lunch, even at an off-hour, do it, just anticipate making that day a day at the Beach Club resort. But if you've had your fill of the pool for the day and want to do something else, but your room isn't ready, you have your clothes packed with you, get changed in the bathroom and head to a park.
6: Be prepared for Mother Nature to bleep with your plans and make it rain, which is what happened to us the day we did the exact same thing. Took over an hour to get the all-clear and have the pools re-open but when they did, fun was had.

Tom 55

Last September we moved from 2 days at Contemporary to 7 days at POP. They did tell us that it takes quite a while to get your luggage when you change hotels. As it works out there is one truck that gets loaded with all the luggage then it starts it deliveries. POP is the last delivery. So we did not get our luggage till after 5pm. It did not help that when we called Bell servies for our luggage the CM that was supposed to bring it up" forgot" and it took an extra hour to find that out. We figured the next time we did this we would call Minnie Van and move everything our self.

Seeshark

I've done split stays my last three trips to Disney and I'm planning on doing it on my next trip. I mostly enjoy: 1) experiencing the different vibes the different resorts present in the same vacation - for example, the chillaxing feel of WL versus the bustle of the Boardwalk; and 2) being close to the parks I plan on visiting on a given day, so I can either walk, boat or use the monorail and avoid the buses to the extent that I can. I don't tend to go crazy unpacking the suitcases once I'm in a room, so moving is easy enough. Like others, I recommend using an Uber or taxi to take your stuff to the next hotel as opposed to having Disney move it. It's just nice to know it's there if you need it. I usually pick one place to go first for a short stay (2-3 nights), and a second place last for a longer stay (4-6 nights), so not really a 50-50 split.

Andrew M

We just did a trip with a couple split-stays and I don't think I ever will again. I am a light packer but my wife is not, plus 3 small kids (5,4&2) and it just becomes a pain. We did 2 nights in Vero Beach (which was incredible), 2 nights at AKL and 4 nights at Boardwalk. I originally wanted to just do Vero and Boardwalk, but we were renting points and there was no availability.

I thought the split-stays would breakup the trip to make it feel longer, but it definitely did the opposite. It might work better for just adults, or parents with older kids, but constantly packing and unpacking took alot of time, especially when the kids fully disperse their belongings across the room and you've already spent a long day in the parks.

Disney was great with transferring luggage between AKL & Boardwalk. Dropped it off in the morning, went to the parks, and it was waiting for us later that day when we got to Boardwalk.

One perk I did like was that I was able to choose the dining plan for only a portion of my stay. We did the deluxe plan for the 4 nights at Boardwalk that kicked in the morning we checked out of AKL, and everything was set up intime for our 8:40 breakfast at Crystal Palace.

I'd only suggest doing it if you are taking a really long trip and switch prior to the halfway mark. It is a nice way to try out new hotels. And I definitely wouldn't do it with kids under the age of 6.

correcaminos

I don't really enjoy split stays if both nights are only a couple of nights. I definitely like it more if I am moving up and if I've been at one at least 3 or so nights previously. It's not bad, but not my choice (for any vacation beyond Disney too).

Lisalovesdisney

We just did that in December. We stayed 2 nights at the Poly and the rest of time at Boardwalk (DVC- our home resort). Yes Disney moved our luggage with no problems. We enjoyed the day and came back picked up our luggage at the bell desk and went to up to our clean room

It's amazing to read how people don't understand why you would do a split stay. We do this every time we go to Disney. I am not a rich person, but would like to experience all of the Deluxe resorts. We usually do a few nights at one of the Deluxe resorts and then the rest of the trip is somewhere more affordable. Because the resorts are spread out through Disney property, we plan our theme park visits based on where we are staying. If I stay at Boardwalk,Beach Club, or Yacht Club, I will plan on going to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. When we change resorts to Animal Kingdom Lodge or The Monorail route, we will then do Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. All you have to do is bring your luggage to bell services and tell them what resort you are transferring to. They usually transfer luggage after 4 p.m. I have done this about 5 times now and haven't had any trouble. Last month, we did the Grand Floridian and the Boardwalk and in October we are doing Coronado and Animal Kingdom Lodge. Another point...There have been times when I am trying to book a resort for an entire week where it hasn't been available. If I reduce that search by a few days, sometimes I can get the reservation I want and then book another resort for the remainder of the trip. I have also done Club level for a few nights and then booked a moderate for the rest of the trip. I agree with all the points about kids. I don't have children and wouldn't want to change resorts if I did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom