Rumor Higher Speed Rail from MCO to Disney World

nickys

Premium Member
But it is not a newstory everytime someone dies from getting hit by a car or truck (heck I was hit while running by a truck that ran a red light and hit my at 50 mph...and there was no mention of it in the news the next day!)

:oops:

Hope you’ve recovered.

Ripken10

But it is not a newstory everytime someone dies from getting hit by a car or truck (heck I was hit while running by a truck that ran a red light and hit my at 50 mph...and there was no mention of it in the news the next day!)

:oops:

Hope you’ve recovered.
It was just a flesh wound!

I was in the best shape of my life at the time, never saw the truck coming (which helps because I didn't tense up), was flown to the hospital where I arrived in some ridiculous time around 17 minutes after I was hit, had an amazing paramedic unit (which funny enough I knew both and was able to have able to have light conversation with them that eased the mood despite the bad situation), was taken to one of the best hospitals in the country (where I was initially given a 50% chance to live, and would be "lucky to walk again"). All that contributed to me surviving, but I liked to think it was the 1 to 2 gallons of milk I was drinking a day (don't give me that rubbish that milk doesn't make your bones stronger!). Some say I was lucky, I say it was lucky it was me and not someone else. I actually ran in my college conference championships 8 weeks after the accident (admittedly the slowest time I ever ran in my life - only was able to run for the first time without support 3 days before the race, and was preparing to be lapped in a 2 lap race...but I beat those suckers to the finish line...on my first lap before they finished their second!...it was close).

Note - for anybody that now thinks I am crazy for running 8 weeks after my accident (I had a broken femur and many other injuries) in my defense I was a senior in college, and my team was trying to win a fourth straight conference championship. I was ranked 3rd in the conference in my event when I was hit, and while I did not have any dreams of scoring, I wanted to find a way to help my team win, and the way I thought to do it was to inspire my teammates by running. 3 days before, when I ran that first run, it felt awful. But my roommate (who was an elite runner) said to me I should do it because "nobody will remember who won that race, but they will remember that you ran". He is wrong, I still remember that my teammate won the race! But -- just this past weekend I had someone come up to me when I was timing a meet and said they remembered me from me running my senior year after the accident. So maybe he was partly right;-)

Last edited:

Rider

There is not enough distance for the top speeds to radically impact the average speed and travel time (this was the huge flaw with the state's Orlando-Tampa plan). Even a fare under $20 will grow when multiplied for all members of the family and there is still the need to get from the station to the hotel.

Likely near the terminus of FL-417 as the desired route would have the train follow FL-417 to I-4 to Tampa.

Yes that seems likely. That is about where the original HSR station was planned.

https://www.yesterland.com/highspeed.html

AndyS2992

I hope it happens, the train station at Disneyland Paris is great and I'd like to think that a train from MCO to WDW would be useful.

Lensman

Does anyone know if Virgin intends to run trains specifically along the MCO/WDW route or if this service will just be two stops along a Tampa/WDW/MCO/PB/Miami route? I think this matters because if MCO/WDW is just space on the MCO/WDW/Tampa train, they may reserve inventory for their more profitable long haul passengers.

It makes me wonder whether Virgin plans to go after local traffic or whether they're really looking at customers in Tampa or South Florida looking to travel to WDW.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It was just a flesh wound!

I was in the best shape of my life at the time, never saw the truck coming (which helps because I didn't tense up), was flown to the hospital where I arrived in some ridiculous time around 17 minutes after I was hit, had an amazing paramedic unit (which funny enough I knew both and was able to have able to have light conversation with them that eased the mood despite the bad situation), was taken to one of the best hospitals in the country (where I was initially given a 50% chance to live, and would be "lucky to walk again"). All that contributed to me surviving, but I liked to think it was the 1 to 2 gallons of milk I was drinking a day (don't give me that rubbish that milk doesn't make your bones stronger!). Some say I was lucky, I say it was lucky it was me and not someone else. I actually ran in my college conference championships 8 weeks after the accident (admittedly the slowest time I ever ran in my life - only was able to run for the first time without support 3 days before the race, and was preparing to be lapped in a 2 lap race...but I beat those suckers to the finish line...on my first lap before they finished their second!...it was close).

Note - for anybody that now thinks I am crazy for running 8 weeks after my accident (I had a broken femur and many other injuries) in my defense I was a senior in college, and my team was trying to win a fourth straight conference championship. I was ranked 3rd in the conference in my event when I was hit, and while I did not have any dreams of scoring, I wanted to find a way to help my team win, and the way I thought to do it was to inspire my teammates by running. 3 days before, when I ran that first run, it felt awful. But my roommate (who was an elite runner) said to me I should do it because "nobody will remember who won that race, but they will remember that you ran". He is wrong, I still remember that my teammate won the race! But -- just this past weekend I had someone come up to me when I was timing a meet and said they remembered me from me running my senior year after the accident. So maybe he was partly right;-)
Are you sure it wasn't a rival school pulling a Kerrigan Solution on you?

Walt d

I never leave it to DME to fetch my luggage from baggage claim...I've heard way too many horror stories of it taking ridiculous amounts of time for it to appear in-room (even one that took more than 12 hours). We bring it to them ourselves. I can't imagine it being any more efficient if/when handled by a rail service.
That could be interesting stay in Miami art deco hotel then jump the train to MK for the day lots of Possibilities

Lensman

As of now.. but with the ongoing driver shortage. I could easily see this taking some pressure off it and using the buses for moving around the resort over to the main train station. Then train to Airport.
But wouldn't the train service actually increase the need for Disney bus drivers? Right now Mears provides service from your resort to the airport. With this hypothetical service, I don't see Mears providing service from the resort to the train station that might be on-property - though they might because they might still want to use the coaches that have the underfloor storage for carry-on luggage plus the checked luggage for airlines that don't allow check-in at the resort.

Hmm. So maybe this post is really a question: Do you think Disney would provide the bus service to the train station or would they just extend the Mears contract to provide that service?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But wouldn't the train service actually increase the need for Disney bus drivers? Right now Mears provides service from your resort to the airport. With this hypothetical service, I don't see Mears providing service from the resort to the train station that might be on-property - though they might because they might still want to use the coaches that have the underfloor storage for carry-on luggage plus the checked luggage for airlines that don't allow check-in at the resort.

Hmm. So maybe this post is really a question: Do you think Disney would provide the bus service to the train station or would they just extend the Mears contract to provide that service?

All the MDE buses that regularly go from the airport to the hotels can now go on a much shorter loop from the Disney Train Station to the hotels.

Lensman

All the MDE buses that regularly go from the airport to the hotels can now go on a much shorter loop from the Disney Train Station to the hotels.
But aren't those all Mears buses with Mears drivers? So I'm not sure how that affects the shortage of cast member drivers. Or is there more generally a driver shortage even at Mears?

Robbiem

But aren't those all Mears buses with Mears drivers? So I'm not sure how that affects the shortage of cast member drivers. Or is there more generally a driver shortage even at Mears?

I guess if the journey was a lot shorter you wouldn’t need as many buses and drivers. Disney could also have a luggage transfer system seperate to the guest transfer buses so many possibilities 😀

homerdance

A train ride will not be any quicker if there are multiple stops on the 20 mile journey. Hope there is an express dedicated to MCO-WDW Travel. The on property station will be very interesting and how they transport people from the station to the resorts/parks.

nickys

Premium Member
I really hope this doesn’t replace DME.

As an international visitor, if I fly direct I have to claim my checked luggage to clear customs. So after over 12 hours travelling and feeling the effects of jet lag, I would need to lug all my luggage to a train. Then find somewhere to store it all, and get it off at the other end. I’m usually barely functioning at this point, I’d probably end up in Tampa or Miami!

And since I never get any email confirmation of my DME booking, I would have to check in anyway at a WDW desk somewhere in MCO or the station to get a ticket. And then I go through the whole thing again at the other end, of checking in and being directed to a resort bus.

I’d rather just get a taxi, or Uber.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom