Ghostbusters 3

flynnibus

Premium Member
As to your last point, I really can't think of a movie where that was a problem for me. You have any examples?

See any recent color-blind 'casting' discussions. Heck, you could make the case for Heimdall in THOR too being out of place. But there, his race isn't a story element used in the story, so you eventually go blind to it.

Plenty of period films struggle with this of late...

Seeshark

I feel like most of funny ad-libbed stuff that made the original movie so great was cut out of the reboot to make time for more special effects. While I'm looking forward to this, if Bill Murray isn't a big part of it in some fashion, I'm not sure how good it can be. I think Ghostbusters II, while not as good as the original, with some of the banter feeling forced, is still funny because of Bill Murray.

lebeau

See any recent color-blind 'casting' discussions. Heck, you could make the case for Heimdall in THOR too being out of place. But there, his race isn't a story element used in the story, so you eventually go blind to it.

Plenty of period films struggle with this of late...

Sorry, I've got nothing. I did a Google search and it didn't turn up anything either.

I agree with you that its' not a problem in Thor. I also don't have any issues with Michael B Jordan as the Human Torch or any other example that got fanboys in a foamy fury.

The live action remake of Beauty and the Beast featured a surprisingly diverse provincial town, but the silverware also sings so...

I'm sure there are examples out there but I can't think of one. Let me know if you do.

lebeau

The last Robin Hood movie, giant flop. Casted a black man as some sort of great archer or whatever, I did see the movie. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/robin_hood_2018/

Sorry, that movie was doomed. Smart *** black guy running around being cool and having better skills than anyone else. I'm sure that is what went on. It's a full-on stereotype in movies now. The only problem is they didn't exist in Robin Hoods time. It's a pure white story and there was no women empowerment going on in that time period either.

I'm not going to take the time to think up more examples.

Wonder Women is Wonder Women complete with a back story and everything. That is different from trying to change a man's role into a women's. There are many other women roles out there, the Ghost Busters could have been women but the problem is the originals were men. Switching that is a bad idea.

I didn't see the new Robin Hood either like most people. But the Kevin Costner movie had Morgan Freeman in a large role. Also, I mean, it's Robin Hood. Who cares?

I am going to strongly disagree with your last point. Historically, there are not "many other women roles out there". That's the problem. Marvel celebrated their 10th anniversary last year and they are just now getting around to releasing a movie with a female lead! Hollywood has a very long track record of insisting that movies starring women don't make money and refusing to make them.

The original Ghostbusters weren't defined by their gender. There was no reason they had to be male. The concept was fine, the execution was off.

There's no point remaking a movie if you keep everything exactly the same. The point of a remake is to update the material.

lebeau

The story isn't nearly as good or thought out. The overall number of characters and their stories isn't nearly as good. The plot is much stronger in the original. Goes back to what I said, if you know the first movie you aren't going to think the 2017 is good.

I haven't seen the 2017 version of Ghostbusters but the 2016 remake has a 74% approval rating on RT. Surely some of those critics are familiar with the original movie. ;)

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I haven't seen the 2017 version of Ghostbusters but the 2016 remake has a 74% approval rating on RT. Surely some of those critics are familiar with the original movie. ;)
True, but the audience score is only 51%. I imagine plenty of critics were familiar with the original, but many critics and the papers they write for were also acutely aware that negative reviews would also likely mean dealing with a certain amount of backlash and accusations of sexism and not being progressive enough even if their critiques didn't even mention the gender of the stars.

The thing about this movie is between the lines drawn in the sand before the movie was even released by Fieg and by the message board guys, there was a line drawn in the sand, so it seemed that anyone that expressed an opinion on whether they liked or disliked the film afterwards was dismissed as a pawn by whichever side disagreed with the opinion. Because of that, looking at critic numbers and even audience approval numbers is difficult because there is a big question mark as to how many are genuine reviews and how many are just trying to score some sort of political point.

Last edited:

lebeau

True, but the audience score is only 51%. I imagine plenty of critics were familiar with the original, but many critics and the papers they write for were also acutely aware that negative reviews would also likely mean dealing with a certain amount of backlash and accusations of sexism and not being progressive enough even if their critiques didn't even mention the gender of the stars.

The thing about this movie is between the lines drawn in the sand before the movie was even released by Fieg and by the message board guys, there was a line drawn in the sand, so it seemed that anyone that expressed an opinion on whether they liked or disliked the film afterwards was dismissed as a pawn by whichever side disagreed with the opinion. Because of that, looking at critic numbers and even audience approval numbers is difficult because there is a big question mark as to how many are genuine reviews and how many are just trying to score some sort of political point.

I don't really think critics gave Ghostbusters 2016 positive reviews out of fear of accusation of sexism. That's internet stuff, not professional critics. The audience score was impacted by men's rights nutballs who also launched organized campaigns against The Last Jedi.

TwilightZone

I don't really get the Jedi thing, female Jedi's go back in the story. Princess Leia had the force and could have been a Jedi with training or at least that's the way I looked at it. I'm not one to put a whole lot of thought into SW but I'm sure someone here would know the answer to that? There's no such thing as a self-made Jedi is there? Don't you need training to use the force to a large extent?
Also the original sequels, the extended universe, had tons of female jedi.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't really get the Jedi thing, female Jedi's go back in the story. Princess Leia had the force and could have been a Jedi with training or at least that's the way I looked at it. I'm not one to put a whole lot of thought into SW but I'm sure someone here would know the answer to that? There's no such thing as a self-made Jedi is there? Don't you need training to use the force to a large extent?
Technically no. However, the Jedi were an organization that you had to belong to in order to be called a "Jedi". Just like you could know everything about military strategy, combat and operations but you don't get the rank of even Private without joining the military. Becoming proficient in the use of the force would be easier if you were with the Jedi or Sith, but it is not necessary.

As to non-Jedi or Sith force users there are quite a few. If we just stick the the movies and cartoons there are the Nightsisters, Chirrut Îmwe, the Mortis Gods, Bendu. Loath wolves and the Force Priestesses to name a few. Technically, Snoke and Kylo-Ren are not Sith so they would actually make the list as well.

If we bring in the Expanded Universe (now called "Legends" there are literally dozens more that were everything from main characters to lizard like sloth creatures called the Ysalamir that evolved a force repelling bubble to protect them from a force sensitive predator called the Vornskr.

When it comes to female Jedi and Sith there have been a bunch (during the Clone Wars nearly half of the Jedi Council was female),but Rey is only the second to appear as a main character. Ahsoka Tano was the first being a main character in Clone Wars. Asajj Ventress was a female force using assassin trained by Count Doku that also appeared in the Clone Wars, but she was more of a secondary character.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

Ghostbusters and especially Ghostbusters II have been among my favorite movies since I was a kid. I was amazed when I went to Universal Studios and saw the GB. They even used to drive around in the car. There was a mannequin of Janine at her desk next to the containment unit and Slimer at the top of a staircase in the gift shop.

Anyway, the remake with those broads was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I think that came out the same year as Independence Day: Resurgence, another massive insult to fans of a beloved movie. What a terrible year that was.

I'm unable to get even remotely excited about this. There's been no cast announcement and the trend with these sequels to 20-30 year old movies is to put the focus on teenagers we don't care about while the original beloved characters we came to see are relegated to cameos and/or die. A real GBIII would need to have been made many years ago now. They're not even all still with us.

macefamily

I told my kids that the old Ghostbusters ride at Universal was awesome. They never got to experience it. Universal brought back a different version of Kong so I'm hoping they rehash a new GB ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom