Pinioned birds at Animal Kingdom—UPDATED

KBLovedDisney

I will add that I never liked the concept of circus animals. I do believe a lot of the animals in those shows were mistreated. However, IMHO, there is a huge difference in the treatment of the animals at AK and zoos versus circuses. Like @Nottamus said, zoo animals are treated with a lot of kindness. I can vouch for this as my cousin married a zoologist and my husband and I went to the zoo one day with my husband's heat reader tool to check on one of the giraffes hurt leg. There was him reading the leg, a doctor and two zoo keepers trying to help. The way she talks about the animals in her keep, is like she is talking about her pets, the same way we nurture creatures we take in and take care of regardless if they came from a shelter or not.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exhibiting animals that aren’t threatened or endangered is difficult to justify in my opinion. Awareness and conservation are important goals, but I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we believed that these are the motivating factors behind Animal Kingdom. Clearly I’m in the minority here, but I look forward to the day when zoos go the way of animal circuses.
I don't for a second think that conservation is the motivation for AK or most other zoos for that matter. Thankfully, it is now "the price of admission" for most modern zoos in the US and I will take that as a win.

While it might be your opinion that there is no justification to display non-endangered animals, the facts are overwhelmingly in contrast to your opinion. The simple act of comparing circuses to modern zoos alone shows how out of touch with reality your opinion is.

I would love to not need zoos. I would also like to not need a police force or the military, but that is not the world we live in. The simple fact is that zoos have done a great deal to not only educate the populus and have actually helped in saving numerous animals from extinction.

Goofyernmost

Exhibiting animals that aren’t threatened or endangered is difficult to justify in my opinion. Awareness and conservation are important goals, but I think we’d be fooling ourselves if we believed that these are the motivating factors behind Animal Kingdom. Clearly I’m in the minority here, but I look forward to the day when zoos go the way of animal circuses.
Then the vast populations will never get to see any of them. I don't say that they should be abused, but, life in the wild isn't exactly a picnic. Have you ever heard of the food chain? That doesn't mean a chain store mega-mart. Almost all animals survive to a long life in a place like AK or a well run zoo (and there are plenty that don't cage them), but, are altered slightly to prevent their getting away especially if they were born in AK or some responsible location, that were never taught how to survive. They would be the equivalent of Animal McDonalds within hours except being served is a much different meaning. Places that abuse animals should not be allowed to continue and the people responsible should be drawn and quartered, but, without those places millions and millions of kids never get to actually see up close many species of wild life. Did you ride the Safari. If so did you see any animals that act like they can't wait to find their way out of there or even see a hint of bad treatment or becoming some other animals midnight snack?

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I will add that I never liked the concept of circus animals. I do believe a lot of the animals in those shows were mistreated. However, IMHO, there is a huge difference in the treatment of the animals at AK and zoos versus circuses. Like @Nottamus said, zoo animals are treated with a lot of kindness. I can vouch for this as my cousin married a zoologist and my husband and I went to the zoo one day with my husband's heat reader tool to check on one of the giraffes hurt leg. There was him reading the leg, a doctor and two zoo keepers trying to help. The way she talks about the animals in her keep, is like she is talking about her pets, the same way we nurture creatures we take in and take care of regardless if they came from a shelter or not.

No-one is suggesting that zookeepers don’t take very good care of the animals under their charge. That doesn’t mean that one can’t find fault with the industry itself.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I am married to a zoo curator, animal lover, caring person....

I was never really an 'animal' guy until we met....and seeing the way she and her staff, and vets care for these animals at the zoo turned me into an animal guy. People see a bird in a cage and feel sorry for that bird. Its so crazy the amount of work, caring, and love that goes into caring for that bird day after day, year after year. And the tears shed when an animal passes, after living longer than it would in the wild...

but, by all means, lets continue to spay and neuter our pets, remove their claws etc.

So there, my opinion on zoos. (and AK)
Yup. Ignorant people who are anti-zoo have obviously never met anyone who actually works at a zoo. Zookeepers are the most pro-animal people on the planet and they do a thankless job for crap wages simply because they love their creatures so much. They're not greedy capitalists exploiting animals for profit, they're dedicated caretakers who work brutal hours in harsh conditions for near-minimum wage out of love.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
I don't for a second think that conservation is the motivation for AK or most other zoos for that matter. Thankfully, it is now "the price of admission" for most modern zoos in the US and I will take that as a win.

While it might be your opinion that there is no justification to display non-endangered animals, the facts are overwhelmingly in contrast to your opinion. The simple act of comparing circuses to modern zoos alone shows how out of touch with reality your opinion is.

I would love to not need zoos. I would also like to not need a police force or the military, but that is not the world we live in. The simple fact is that zoos have done a great deal to not only educate the populus and have actually helped in saving numerous animals from extinction.

You’ve not presented any facts to show me that my opinions are wrong, merely opinions of your own.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Then the vast populations will never get to see any of them. I don't say that they should be abused, but, life in the wild isn't exactly a picnic. Have you ever heard of the food chain? That doesn't mean a chain store mega-mart. Almost all animals survive to a long life in a place like AK or a well run zoo (and there are plenty that don't cage them), but, are altered slightly to prevent their getting away especially if they were born in AK or some responsible location, that were never taught how to survive. They would be the equivalent of Animal McDonalds within hours except being served is a much different meaning. Places that abuse animals should not be allowed to continue and the people responsible should be drawn and quartered, but, without those places millions and millions of kids never get to actually see up close many species of wild life. Did you ride the Safari. If so did you see any animals that act like they can't wait to find their way out of there or even see a hint of bad treatment or becoming some other animals midnight snack?

I don’t see why people’s desire to see wild animals should take priority over the happiness and comfort of the animals themselves. There are plenty of things I won’t get to experience in real life; that’s just my tough luck.

As for your other argument, we are all exposed to the dangers of the world every time we step out of the door—that’s the price one pays for living life. An animal kept in captivity may be safer, but I doubt it’s happier.

KBLovedDisney

I don’t see why people’s desire to see wild animals should take priority over the happiness and comfort of the animals themselves. There are plenty of things I won’t get to experience in real life; that’s just my tough luck.

As for your other argument, we are all exposed to the dangers of the world every time we step out of the door—that’s the price one pays for living life. An animal kept in captivity may be safer, but I doubt it’s happier.
Yep. Scruffy is very upset.
scruffy_by_otakuangelx-d8ewc09.gif

correcaminos

I repeat: they pinion birds that are in no way endangered. It has nothing to do with conservation. The birds in question include the saddle-billed stork; see the bottom of p. 8 of the following link: http://alouattasen.weebly.com/uploads/8/9/5/6/8956452/storksaddlebilledstudbook2013-9a4b16fa.pdf
I read you the first time as well as the second time. These birds will not survive on their own. That's why they are clipped. It doesn't bother me. Nor does rescuing cats that I have (in fact their lives IMO are likely significantly better being rescued. My orange girl snuggles so much that I doubt she minds being rescued). So for the final time, if it does you, don't go. But don't expect Disney to change for you.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
An animal kept in captivity may be safer, but I doubt it’s happier.
Factually wrong. Not a matter of opinion, you're plain incorrect.

First of all, animals are incapable of "happiness." Second of all, life in a zoo is better than life in the wild in every conceivable way, assuming the zoo in question is following appropriate standards of animal welfare, nutrition, etc.

An animal's life in the wild is full of disease, infection, injury, fear (the one emotion animals do experience), threat of predation, threat of starvation, threat of dehydration, etc. "Wilder" doesn't equal "better."

There's a strange notion that has possessed people that somehow "natural" is the same thing as "good." There's nothing natural about computers and iPhones and penicillin and vaccinations and pooping indoors, but sign me up for the unnatural world that includes all of those things.

Goofyernmost

It's pretty obvious that your mind is made up so there is no use in confusing you with facts. So, It is what it is, and always will be. Make sure you campaign to release those sad, unhappy, pet dogs and cats free from the bonds of human forced incarceration and let those lucky animals experience life in its most dangerous, because having your neck snapped in the jaw of a predator is a very happy experience. Just their tough luck, I guess.

LittleBuford

Original Poster

I am aware of the arguments in favour of zoos. They are still largely opinions. I am all for animal sanctuaries and conservation efforts. Keeping flocks of flightless flamingoes, however, is about nothing more than giving humans something pretty to look at.

LittleBuford

Original Poster
Factually wrong. Not a matter of opinion, you're plain incorrect.

First of all, animals are incapable of "happiness." Second of all, life in a zoo is better than life in the wild in every conceivable way, assuming the zoo in question is following appropriate standards of animal welfare, nutrition, etc.

An animal's life in the wild is full of disease, infection, injury, fear (the one emotion animals do experience), threat of predation, threat of starvation, threat of dehydration, etc. "Wilder" doesn't equal "better."

There's a strange notion that has possessed people that somehow "natural" is the same thing as "good." There's nothing natural about computers and iPhones and penicillin and vaccinations and pooping indoors, but sign me up for the unnatural world that includes all of those things.

Anyone who has canine or feline companions knows that animals are fully capable of feeling happiness.

correcaminos

Facts don't care about your feelings.

Your dog doesn't feel happiness.
Apparently cats do feel some level. I found this same info on multiple sites. So I'll list the quote and not a source as there are far too many

"Cats have human-like emotions Although experts disagree on the depth and range, all confirm that kitties feel emotions not that dissimilar from people. Happiness, excitability, playfulness, depression and anger. "

I would agree with that. I notice a range of emotions from my cats. Though I still stand by the idea that all my rescued kitties are quite content in my home and have a far better life than when alone. My one has finally stopped being such a ravenous eater since he realizes he won't have to worry about food. Poor boy had issues with worrying about food for a while. His brother apparently did too (they thought he was going to be a TNR, but finally had hopes he was happier indoors and was adopted out after we got his brother).

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
I’m going to try to contact the people at Animal Kingdom to ask how exactly they keep their bird populations flightless
I’m not attempting to discourage you. What type of response, if any, do you expect? What title(s) and/or qualifications do you possess to receive more than a preformatted response, beyond being a concerned individual?
Anyone who has canine or feline companions knows that animals are fully capable of feeling happiness.
I’m guilty of projecting humanity onto my cats. They do seem to enjoy when I stroke under their chin, but experience happiness? Ehhhhhhhhhhhh...............

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom