First visit to OKW

BobParr

Original Poster
We have "near hospitality house" reservations in early October. We've never stayed or visited OKW before. We will have a car. Would appreciate tips on recommended room locations, dining (including Disney Springs) and any other things to enhance our stay. Thanks!

correcaminos

My favorite area of HH is the Peninsular stop. The buildings will be 23-26 in that area and it's just quiet and tranquil. The walk to the HH is short and it is by the first bus stop (I love being first off). The other HH buildings (11-14) are fine, but the parking is worse and to me they aren't quite as quiet. But still very nice.

Definitely check out the Community Hall for activities. The staff there and at the pool (and the nighttime activities) are some of the best honestly.

Olivia's is great for any meal.

We're not huge DS people so let me think on that one and get back to you.

Skibum1970

My favorite area of HH is the Peninsular stop. The buildings will be 23-26 in that area and it's just quiet and tranquil. The walk to the HH is short and it is by the first bus stop (I love being first off). The other HH buildings (11-14) are fine, but the parking is worse and to me they aren't quite as quiet. But still very nice.

Definitely check out the Community Hall for activities. The staff there and at the pool (and the nighttime activities) are some of the best honestly.

Olivia's is great for any meal.

We're not huge DS people so let me think on that one and get back to you.

Question(s). We're going this fall and will be staying at Old Key West. Some people throw off on it. I get that proximity to parks might be a loss for some people. What do people not like about this resort?

correcaminos

Question(s). We're going this fall and will be staying at Old Key West. Some people throw off on it. I get that proximity to parks might be a loss for some people. What do people not like about this resort?

Well I think DVC people poo poo it because the resort is so large and has more than one bus stop (like SSR). Some claim the condo feel really is more of a motel feel to them since there are no long hallways. I find the condo style to be more quiet as a whole than the longer hallway buildings though. So that doesn't bug me. We always book at HH area now so we don't care about buses. Plus we rent a car most of the time so we can drive.

That said the location is actually *extremely* centrally located. Both OKW and SSR are right in the middle of it all so bus rides or drives to and from the parks are minimal. Probably like AKL it is bus only to the parks which bothers some.

Reality though is that the remaining DVC resorts have more than one stop too (MK areas share and Epcot does too, AKL has 2 stops).

We love it there and could happily stay there every single trip. It's just so quiet and peaceful there.

lostpro9het

For us, its just at the bottom of the WDW DVC list. We would still stay there above any mod or value. The multipe bus stops don’t bother us but the sterile retirement community feel does. The extra square footage isnt enough to pull us away from the theming of a place like AKL or the Poly. Being able to park so close to your room and the proximity to DTD are nice features of OKW but the themeing ain't our cup. You’ll have a great time. Enjoy the peaceful balcony with a cup of coffee in the morning before the park madness! Its a great way to start the day.

jaklgreen

For us, OKW feels more like a condo/timeshare type of location and less a Disney resort. I also do not like the lack of a food court that most of the resorts have. The room size and the 2 queen beds is really nice.

Phonedave

I love the rooms at OKW. The location, layout, and bus stops are a non issue.

The "food window", Table Service Restaurant (Olivia's), and pool area are what I do not like.

There is no real quick service option, just a limited selection at a window, and no inside tables to sit at. Olivia's is OK. I know some people rave about it, but for me it really is about the same as it's sister restaurant, the Turf Club Grill. It's good food, but nothing special, and it gets old very quickly. The pool area is too small and cramped.

Oh, and while I don't hand out in the lounge that often, the Gurgling Suitcase is also very very small.

-dave

Skibum1970

Well I think DVC people poo poo it because the resort is so large and has more than one bus stop (like SSR). Some claim the condo feel really is more of a motel feel to them since there are no long hallways. I find the condo style to be more quiet as a whole than the longer hallway buildings though. So that doesn't bug me. We always book at HH area now so we don't care about buses. Plus we rent a car most of the time so we can drive.

That said the location is actually *extremely* centrally located. Both OKW and SSR are right in the middle of it all so bus rides or drives to and from the parks are minimal. Probably like AKL it is bus only to the parks which bothers some.

Reality though is that the remaining DVC resorts have more than one stop too (MK areas share and Epcot does too, AKL has 2 stops).

We love it there and could happily stay there every single trip. It's just so quiet and peaceful there.

It will be different as we typically stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, and Port Orleans (either one). However, I'm trying Dave's DVC and paid $650 for four nights at OKW. That is less than the moderates per night average. I am looking forward to the peacefulness and also the walking paths. It will be nice to be able to walk through in close proximity to the golf course. Thus, I appreciate all the feedback as I hijacked this thread. It is interesting to get more than one take.

correcaminos

It will be different as we typically stayed at Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, and Port Orleans (either one). However, I'm trying Dave's DVC and paid $650 for four nights at OKW. That is less than the moderates per night average. I am looking forward to the peacefulness and also the walking paths. It will be nice to be able to walk through in close proximity to the golf course. Thus, I appreciate all the feedback as I hijacked this thread. It is interesting to get more than one take.
If you like moderates, I think this will be an improvement at least in size. The balconies are quite nice too. Just be sure to check out the community hall and other activities going on. I liked POs myself and OKW just was even more of a homey feeling after staying at both of those moderates. I do hope you like it as much as we do!

Phonedave

The boat service to Disney Springs is an other bonus. It is much nicer than the bus. It is also slower than the bus most of the time, but it is a much much nicer trip.

-dave

correcaminos

I love the rooms at OKW. The location, layout, and bus stops are a non issue.

The "food window", Table Service Restaurant (Olivia's), and pool area are what I do not like.

There is no real quick service option, just a limited selection at a window, and no inside tables to sit at. Olivia's is OK. I know some people rave about it, but for me it really is about the same as it's sister restaurant, the Turf Club Grill. It's good food, but nothing special, and it gets old very quickly. The pool area is too small and cramped.

Oh, and while I don't hand out in the lounge that often, the Gurgling Suitcase is also very very small.

-dave

Honestly have you looked at BCV? The food selection there is worse. You also missed the QS at Turtle Shack (I think under refurbishment at this time).

The QS there is better than a lot of the other DVC locations but not the best. But with a kitchen and a fridge, why would you need fried QS when you can have better quick meals (sandwiches, bagels, yogurt, heck frozen pizza) instead?

Or hop the boat to DS and be done with it. But these are things that many want and others don't. I love OKW and how it is and honestly wouldn't change a thing. Love it's charm.

jaklgreen

Honestly have you looked at BCV? The food selection there is worse. You also missed the QS at Turtle Shack (I think under refurbishment at this time).

The QS there is better than a lot of the other DVC locations but not the best. But with a kitchen and a fridge, why would you need fried QS when you can have better quick meals (sandwiches, bagels, yogurt, heck frozen pizza) instead?

Or hop the boat to DS and be done with it. But these are things that many want and others don't. I love OKW and how it is and honestly wouldn't change a thing. Love it's charm.

I see what you are saying but the issue with OKW is that it is not in walking distance of 4 other resorts and a theme park. All of which you can get food from. OKW has the boat to DIsney Springs but it is not the same as walking over someplace. I don't cook anything while at WDW. That is one of my "not gonna do it" while on vacation. Plus I love so much of the food at WDW that I refuse to spend stomach space on a frozen pizza. And not all QS is fried. Out favorite is the shawarma platter form Morocco. I can walk there from BVC, and have many times.

correcaminos

I see what you are saying but the issue with OKW is that it is not in walking distance of 4 other resorts and a theme park. All of which you can get food from. OKW has the boat to DIsney Springs but it is not the same as walking over someplace. I don't cook anything while at WDW. That is one of my "not gonna do it" while on vacation. Plus I love so much of the food at WDW that I refuse to spend stomach space on a frozen pizza. And not all QS is fried. Out favorite is the shawarma platter form Morocco. I can walk there from BVC, and have many times.

True, but that requires park tickets. DS does not.

Notice the things I said weren't cooking though. I'm the only one who cooks and I don't on vacation LOL. We do simple meals at the room. So sandwiches, bagels, yogurts, frozen waffles, haven't done pizza but I could. No matter, I don't cook and the only one meal a day we don't do in our room is big enough that simple sandwich type meals work.

The QS fried food thing is in regards to most QS resort (particularly by the pool in the Epcot resort) locations. A lot of fried foods or greasy things. There are many good options for not so fried or greasy pizzas but not so much at any resorts.

jaklgreen

True, but that requires park tickets. DS does not.

Notice the things I said weren't cooking though. I'm the only one who cooks and I don't on vacation LOL. We do simple meals at the room. So sandwiches, bagels, yogurts, frozen waffles, haven't done pizza but I could. No matter, I don't cook and the only one meal a day we don't do in our room is big enough that simple sandwich type meals work.

The QS fried food thing is in regards to most QS resort (particularly by the pool in the Epcot resort) locations. A lot of fried foods or greasy things. There are many good options for not so fried or greasy pizzas but not so much at any resorts.

I hate most of the quick service options at most places. Epcot is one place that has more decent options. I hate the limited options at the Beach Club. I have no idea why they can't find a place to put in a food court there, even if it is closer to the yacht club. It is nice to be able to walk to the other resorts for some other options. Last trip I walked over the the Dolphin and got something there one day.

correcaminos

I hate most of the quick service options at most places. Epcot is one place that has more decent options. I hate the limited options at the Beach Club. I have no idea why they can't find a place to put in a food court there, even if it is closer to the yacht club. It is nice to be able to walk to the other resorts for some other options. Last trip I walked over the the Dolphin and got something there one day.

I agree - Epcot has some of the best QS options out there. The Marketplace at the Beach Club used to offer so much more. I remember when you could have made to order sandwiches, lots of soups, salads, and gelato. OMG I still miss the gelato. Yes, I can walk to the Dolphin or Epcot for food, but it's really kind of pathetic there now. I haven't had a chance to check out the new Market at Ale & Compass but I hear that's improved. Still would be nice if BC could have a nice one instead of having to walk next door (though mostly covered/protected still not always great when rainy and windy).

richg35

I love OKW. My grandparents bought DVC in the early years when this was the Disney Vacation Club, so I stayed here two times in my teens. As an adult and now DVC-owner, I have also stayed here with my family twice over the last 5 years (AKV is our home resort).

I don't really know what people mean when they say it doesn't "feel" like a Disney resort. Most DVC resorts do not feel like "Disney" resorts to me because they are themed to represent something specific. I happen to think the Keys/Conch Flats theming is well done, and I do like the "townhouse" feel of it rather than just being a typical "corridored" hotel.

The main hotel pool area does get crowded, but Turtle Pond pool rarely is. Unless you need the waterslide, the main pool is avoidable.

Olivia's is solid. The pool area QS is fine, although it also gets crowded. Years and years ago it was better, but that can be said for a lot of food options at WDW.

The community hall is great - we have spent many nights in there doing activities and playing games with our kids.

The rooms are very large, which is a plus for us, and the balconies are nice as well.

If you're an active person, it's a great "walking" resort but internal bus service is available for those who arent, and the boat ride to Disney Springs is a nice option. There's ample parking for those who have cars.

Last edited:

Phonedave

Different strokes I guess.

First, I don't care what the food is like at the BCV. We are talking about OKW. Just because there are crappy options at BCV does not make the options at OKW any better. I also expect the QS at the main building to be, well, the main QS.

When we go for a week, we do a combination of eating in the room and eating out, especially if we are by the pool. We don't fully stock the unit because we do not want leftovers. For that matter, who cares if I can cook in the room or not, many people want a QS lunch or breakfast. And you make getting to DS sound quick "hop on a boat". It's not that quick or convenient, especially for breakfast.

-dave

correcaminos

Different strokes I guess.

First, I don't care what the food is like at the BCV. We are talking about OKW. Just because there are crappy options at BCV does not make the options at OKW any better. I also expect the QS at the main building to be, well, the main QS.

When we go for a week, we do a combination of eating in the room and eating out, especially if we are by the pool. We don't fully stock the unit because we do not want leftovers. For that matter, who cares if I can cook in the room or not, many people want a QS lunch or breakfast. And you make getting to DS sound quick "hop on a boat". It's not that quick or convenient, especially for breakfast.

-dave
I am sorry if you misunderstood my point. I was simply saying that Disney as a whole is really sucking with their quick-service options at DVC resorts. I am making a complaint for not just Old Key West but other Resorts too. I do find Old Key West to be decent with their Quick Service though compared to or some other places. So I guess I find them average. I know we are talking about Old Key West but I don't see the harm in discussing other locations. I get it you don't like Old Key West for that and as you said Different Strokes.

I agree - Epcot has some of the best QS options out there. The Marketplace at the Beach Club used to offer so much more. I remember when you could have made to order sandwiches, lots of soups, salads, and gelato. OMG I still miss the gelato. Yes, I can walk to the Dolphin or Epcot for food, but it's really kind of pathetic there now. I haven't had a chance to check out the new Market at Ale & Compass but I hear that's improved. Still would be nice if BC could have a nice one instead of having to walk next door (though mostly covered/protected still not always great when rainy and windy).

I agree with Helenabear, the Marketplace at The Beach Club was much better before. We dislike the new menu and limited offerings, now we mostly go off property to eat. Our family also loved the gelato!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom