A strange Magical Express Question

durangojim

Original Poster
This might be a little long so I apologize in advance. We’re doing a split stay in July and are transferring from WL to GF. We will have been in Florida for about a week prior and have a car rented. Our plans changed so I actually need to return the rental car to the airport the day we change hotels. My question is this. Can I give Disney info about an incoming flight so that I can take ME from the airport to the GF? We’ll be using it to return to the airport after our GF stay. If not, no big deal, I’ll just catch an Uber or Lyft. Thanks!

21stamps

You can call and explain exactly what you need to do. It’s totally possible. In 2015 I used the ME to pick up a rental car at the airport. Easy peasy!

durangojim

Original Poster
In future don't rent the car from the airport. It's much cheaper and easier to rent it from your Disney hotel. Their shuttle will come and pick you up.
Usually we don’t, in this instance we’re not doing Disney until the end of the trip after we we have travelled around Florida. It was much cheaper to go with Budget and would have been fine if we didn’t extend our vacation.

21stamps

In future don't rent the car from the airport. It's much cheaper and easier to rent it from your Disney hotel. Their shuttle will come and pick you up.
Usually we don’t, in this instance we’re not doing Disney until the end of the trip after we we have travelled around Florida. It was much cheaper to go with Budget and would have been fine if we didn’t extend our vacation.

I rented from Firefly or something like that at the airport. Less than $200, including SunPass and pre paid refueling.. for 10 days.
Much cheaper than even using my company’s discount with Alamo.

slappy magoo

Easier maybe, especially with the shuttle services. But I'm not so sure about cheaper. We usually drive but on occasions we either flew or thought about flying, I would price cars both upon arrival/departure from MCO, and renting at WDW the day after arrival and returning the car the day before heading back home. In every occasion, every rental company, every car type, renting for X days from MCO was cheaper than renting for "X-2" days at WDW. I suspect it's because there are so many more cars at the airport to choose from, the volume warrants competition. I last checked prices a few months ago - we've since decided to AutoTrain down and drive back - but that discrepancy in prices still was there.

EDIT: Aaaaaand here's where I contradict myself because for chucks and giggles I checked prices again from Alamo (without applying any discount coupons or codes). I put in dates from MCO for the duration of my upcoming stay, and then the day after arrival/before departure from the WDW Car Care Center. The Car Care Center price is significantly cheaper. I did change my dates from the last time I checked. I don't know if it's the change of dates that significantly affected the price, or if they dropped prices based on some kind of current lack of demand but for whatever reason it upends what I wrote earlier. Probably best to always check both ways unless you need a car for your entire length of stay.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Easier maybe, especially with the shuttle services. But I'm not so sure about cheaper. We usually drive but on occasions we either flew or thought about flying, I would price cars both upon arrival/departure from MCO, and renting at WDW the day after arrival and returning the car the day before heading back home. In every occasion, every rental company, every car type, renting for X days from MCO was cheaper than renting for "X-2" days at WDW. I suspect it's because there are so many more cars at the airport to choose from, the volume warrants competition. I last checked prices a few months ago - we've since decided to AutoTrain down and drive back - but that discrepancy in prices still was there.

EDIT: Aaaaaand here's where I contradict myself because for chucks and giggles I checked prices again from Alamo (without applying any discount coupons or codes). I put in dates from MCO for the duration of my upcoming stay, and then the day after arrival/before departure from the WDW Car Care Center. The Car Care Center price is significantly cheaper. I did change my dates from the last time I checked. I don't know if it's the change of dates that significantly affected the price, or if they dropped prices based on some kind of current lack of demand but for whatever reason it upends what I wrote earlier. Probably best to always check both ways unless you need a car for your entire length of stay.
It fluctuates WILDLY based on dates and vehicle type. On my last trip, the only reasonable rate for a seven passenger vehicle was to get a full size SUV from the Dolphin and return it at MCO. It beat out all of the round-trip rental options and crushed the minivan prices.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom