Getting from one resort to another.

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
If I'm staying at Port Orleans and I have breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey's, what's the best/easiest way to get there if you don't have a rental car? How much time should I leave myself to do this?

fluffy

So if one is staying at the Dolphin and going to the Fort Wilderness Hoop De Do you have to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom then get a bus or the boat to Fort Wilderness right? ugh! Seems like one would have to allow more than an hour for transportation.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So if one is staying at the Dolphin and going to the Fort Wilderness Hoop De Do you have to take the bus to the Magic Kingdom then get a bus or the boat to Fort Wilderness right? ugh! Seems like one would have to allow more than an hour for transportation.
Yes and yes. There are other routes, but that is one of the better ones that works at all hours of the day.

Anytime a transfer is involved, it is a good idea to add another 30 minutes of travel time.

An Uber can get you from the Swan to Ft wilderness in about 12 minutes. From the entrance it is about a 5-10 minute bus ride to the back of the campground where Pioneer Hall is located.

slappy magoo

Resort to resort transportation is really kind of a pain as it is rarely direct.

The fastest will be an uber or a cab.

The next option would be to check at the front desk of your resort and see if they are running a direct shuttle.

The last option would be to take the bus to MK and walk to the Contempoary.

Chef Mickey's is one of the easiest restaurants to get to because you're able to walk to the Contemporary from MK. You can also take the monorail but knowing that you only have to wait for one mode of transportation - the bus to MK - is convenient.

However, it would almost-definitely be faster to take a cab, or see if a shuttle is available.

DisneyJoe

IMHO, bus to MK and then boat to Ft Wilderness is best, since the boat dock is extremely close to Pioneer Hall.

After the show you can use the boat again, or they will have many other buses near Pioneer Hall to take guests to many locations, including directly to the Epcot resort area.

BoarderPhreak

If time is of the essence; use Uber, Lyft, Minnie Van or taxi.

If you have some time, take a bus to either Disney Springs or a nearby park, and from there take a bus to your destination.

Be sure to also consider alternative options like the monorail, boats and of course, walking or taking your own car.

In your case, I'd take the bus to MK and either monorail or walk to the CR.

slappy magoo

IMHO, bus to MK and then boat to Ft Wilderness is best, since the boat dock is extremely close to Pioneer Hall.

After the show you can use the boat again, or they will have many other buses near Pioneer Hall to take guests to many locations, including directly to the Epcot resort area.

Yeah, when it comes to getting to Fort Wilderness, it's better to get to MK then boat to FW because to take a bus to any other park or Disney Springs, and then take a bus to Fort Wilderness, you'll be dropped off at the front of FW, then take an internal shuttle to get to the other side of the campground where Hoop De Doo is.

Or cab it to FW and use their shuttle, at least it's still only 2 modes of transportation versus 3.

nickys

Premium Member

Sometimes they actually just take everyone back to the MK bus stops and you change there. Happened to us after the late show.

DisneyRoy

I would honestly think about using the Minnie Van service. It was great when we were there last time. You get an actual Disney cast member instead of some random dude using his own car. It gave the wife piece of mind anyways.

fluffy

I would honestly think about using the Minnie Van service. It was great when we were there last time. You get an actual Disney cast member instead of some random dude using his own car. It gave the wife piece of mind anyways.

Never heard of the Minnie Van Service. Is it very costly compared to Uber?

crawale

If I'm staying at Port Orleans and I have breakfast reservations at Chef Mickey's, what's the best/easiest way to get there if you don't have a rental car? How much time should I leave myself to do this?
Taxi is a lot cheaper than the 'Minnie Mouse van'. You could also go to Magic Kingdom on the bus and take the monorail to right inside the hotel.

dreamfinder

Never heard of the Minnie Van Service. Is it very costly compared to Uber?

Current price is $25 per ride. More than a Taxi or Uber, but comes with two car seats and a WDW employee who should know how to get where they are going while a taxi/uber might take the wrong/long way.

Skibum1970

We stayed at POFQ in February and wanted to walk around the Contemporary. So, we took the bus to MK and then walked. Took approx. 15 minutes on the bus and another 10 to 15 minutes to walk (due to having to pass through security). Coming back was a pain as we had to catch a bus to POFQ and we had just missed one. Depending on your budget, I'd go with Uber. Price would probably be around $13/each way.

fluffy

One would think that Disney would have provided better, uncomplicated transportation for their guest to travel from one resort to another by now. They certainly profit with people going to resort restaurants and shows that are not at their own resort. I know it would not be feasible to have buses at all the resorts 24/7 but I would think a reasonable bus schedule could be arranged without the expense of the Minnie Van.

dreamfinder

One would think that Disney would have provided better, uncomplicated transportation for their guest to travel from one resort to another by now. They certainly profit with people going to resort restaurants and shows that are not at their own resort. I know it would not be feasible to have buses at all the resorts 24/7 but I would think a reasonable bus schedule could be arranged without the expense of the Minnie Van.

Why? The amount of guests that go from resort to resort at any given time is going to be pretty slim. Sure, most of the deluxes have dining or entertainment that guests might be interested in, but it's what, 2,000 maybe 3,000 covers a night max? (Assuming 500 people per seating at a place like Boma, 60 mins to turn the table, open for 5 hours for dinner.) Spread that out over all the resorts thats roughly 160 guests. Then spread that out over the 5 hours they do seating, thats 30 or so guests per hour. Half a bus load of people who don't get sat all at once, but spread out. It just doens't make much sense to run buses for that. You either need to run a bunch of almost empty buses, or you have people having to get there early enough to make an hourly bus, they waste just as much time as if they transferred at a park.

fluffy

It's inefficient to have busses resort to resort. The amount of buses you would need would grow exponentially.

For Example:
From Contemporary you would need a bus that goes to:
1. All Stars
2. Animal Kingdom Resorts
3. Wilderness
4. Poly/GF/Contemporary
5. CBR
6. Coronado
etc.
etc.

Then each other resort would also need bus lines to the other resorts.
That may be true but they don't really have to have ONE bus for each resort. They could have ONE bus that goes to like 3 different resorts that are near one another. I really think, from the beginning, back in the 70's they should have considered extending the Monorail gradually so it hit all the resorts and parks.
Yes, very costly, but doing it gradually could have not only been feasible but it could have eliminated all the busses. Big cities have subway trains taking you everywhere. I think Disney is like a big city.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom