Trip Report No Sounds Like Summer? We'll JOURNEY Anyway! *COMPLETED*

It was this week last summer that @TrolleyFollower91 and I had an epic girls trip to WDW.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...e-july-journey-completed.917246/#post-7369605

On our first day we rocked to the music of DSB ~ the ultimate Journey tribute band ~ at the America Gardens Theater in Epcot. It was an event we'll always remember. DSB was the final band in the annual "Sounds Like Summer" concert series. The lead singer said the band was looking forward to returning next summer.

IMG_1332.JPG

And here we are.....it's "next summer."

But there has been no "Sounds Like Summer" concert series in 2017. :(
No DSB. :arghh:

Don't. Stop. Believin'.

Em and I refuse to go our Separate Ways. We have too much fun together. We have one last chance to do WDW together before school starts and by golly we're gonna do it....even without DSB.

Want to tag along?

Attempting a full-fledged LIVE trip report is daunting and difficult, so I decided to follow @TheMouseFan's lead and be LIVE-ish. Real time pics and updates to be expanded on after my return home.

Oh, and I will finish my currently-in-progress trip report. :D

Who's ready for Summer #2?
IMG_3160.JPG

We are!!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Good thing we weren’t planning to ride 7DMT next.
View attachment 239194

Actually we did not have time to ride anything next, as it was ADR time!

View attachment 239198

View attachment 239195

Though this trip was planned less than 60 days in advance I was still able to book lunch at BOG. Pixie dust is possible if you believe!

As I mentioned during the live part of this TR, Em’s favorite roast beef sandwich had been replaced by a French Dip. She wasn’t happy but tried it anyway. We’re still waiting for her assessment of the sandwich (and of the moonshine margarita from Homecomin’ :brb:)
View attachment 239196

I was disappointed with my turkey sandwich. The baguette was smaller and soft...almost soggy...not the typical light-but-chewy texture of a baguette.
(Side note: the sandwich was much improved in August. I’ll get to that trip eventually! :joyfull:)
View attachment 239197

As we were finishing, I received a call from @fractal. We made arrangements to meet. While I was excited, Em was reserved (remember I am much more comfortable with new people than she is.) My boldness can embarrass her and I know meeting up with strangers (even WDWMagic friends) takes her out of her comfort zone. She is fine once the ice is broken but the anticipation is stressful. We had a little pep talk and laughed about how @Zipitidoda had already spoiled the surprise Fractal and I had planned.

And then we walked to Frontierland.

Ha! I just read the this post to my DD starting with who does this sound like....my DD a few days older the Em is exactly the same way. She is very reserved and doesn't do well with strangers. So reading the post my DD says 'that's me." Em and I could be good friends as neither of us would find strangers to talk to. I'm OK talking to people I don't know but I don't have that boldness, I tip toes, I couldn't ask a stranger if they'd mind me sticking my hand into their bag of cotton candy. ;)

Big Hair

Catching up. I am another June fan. Flag day is my b-day. Margherita 's are my go to. Every visit has me at La Cava for a avocado margherita and of course the obligatory ones at each resort I stay at in search of the perfect one. Still searching but the journey is a blast.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday, con’t

The plan was to meet @fractal and his family at the exit to Splash Mountain. They were due to complete their ride and Em and I had a little time before our Splash FP window opened. When we got there I scanned the crowd, concerned that we might miss each other.

I needn’t have worried. Thanks to his Hawaiian shirt, Fractal was easy to spot. Was his island attire a nod to my name? (It never dawned on me until now.)

B48C8506-1BB1-4B4E-93D2-5B5E84FFAFD5.jpeg

Em did a wonderful job of not melting into the pavement during my gregarious greeting. I think I freaked out Toni a little bit when I called her by name and said the dance pictures I’d seen of her were stunning. I quickly explained that I had read all her dad’s trip reports and felt like I “knew” her family even though I really didn’t ~ and that this wasn’t the first time our paths had crossed.

Remember I mentioned that Em was a Fractal follower before me? Six years ago she was reading about the Fractal family’s evening at the Hoop Dee Doo Review (in August 2011). Some of his comments and observations seemed familiar to her which caused her to take a closer look at his photographs.

Here’s Toni chowing down on a piece of fried chicken. Notice anything?
94A9A9E9-DAB4-40AE-8A8D-BD5A3F074494.jpeg

How about now?
34087FDA-3CB5-40CE-95E3-1C57703CE7C0.jpeg

Yup, that ponytail belongs to Em! And although my face is obscured, Woody’s is plainly visible.

“It’s a small world after all....it’s a small world after all....it’s a SMALL SMALL WORLD!!”

Ice broken, we had a very fun chat and I must say Fractal’s family is delightful. Sadly, we did not get to meet the infamous Yia-Yia ~ she was off somewhere else on her scooter of terror! :joyfull:

Em and I bid goodbye and took our turn at the Laughin’ Place.
70D5577D-A02C-4886-97E9-D026BBCCDFE8.jpeg

The pose was “wave”. I gave it my all. :hilarious:
80FF66D7-67B2-4930-AD51-BF912AFC0E05.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
You don’t get very wet sitting in the back of the log and Em and I really needed some cooling off.
“Pool?” I asked.
“Duh,” she replied.

Duh it was.
3195802E-38BD-45ED-8A17-8D0C26940107.jpeg

This was the afternoon we found loungers near the waterfall....

EC7020C4-97F2-4071-B0CF-3C8197B710EA.jpeg

....which provided the perfect “white noise” for napping. :cool:

Swim, nap, swim, lounge. Doesn’t get much better than this.

Our evening was wide open. After we cleaned up we enjoyed some balcony time and discussed our options.
“I have a craving,” I announced.
“For what?” asked Em.
“Carnitas and Caramelitas!” I sang gleefully.

We hopped a bus to MK to make the transfer. And this was when #ShirleyStatus kicked into high gear.

A01A865B-A09C-4FFD-A4AF-398B1E9CB002.jpeg

We had a private ride all the way to:
9B02CEE2-9F3A-4CB3-A937-DF3F047B4E62.jpeg

The driver had to make all the stops before we disembarked at the main building. Not a soul got on.

There wasn’t a soul (other than CMs) at the Pepper Market either. It was oddly quiet for 6:30 pm!
D8DDE426-0AF6-4983-B0DE-E40427659808.jpeg

Gee, I wonder if we can find a quiet table.....
7F78E1DB-CE98-4456-8AF9-8FD2D036A13A.jpeg

.....seems it won’t be much of a challenge!
2FC0F1E4-3A40-4030-A4CE-CE6BAEA5909D.jpeg

This food court is so festive, the CMs are so friendly and the food is so delish! It is well worth going out of your way for!

I don’t think I came up for air once I began eating my carnitas....it was that good. Em also made quick work of her cheese empanadas (thought of you, @bee!) We shared the Caramelita even though I had bought two....another treat for later, yay!
36F0CA5A-AE1E-4A83-B689-D2DE01D1FBA5.jpeg

Full and satisfied, we made our way to the bus stop out front where the MK bus was waiting for us. As we climbed aboard, I recognized the driver as the one who had dropped us off.

“Enjoy your dinner?” he asked.
“It was delicious!”
“Ready to return to the MK?” the driver inquired as he closed the door.

The bus looked like this:
71018976-511F-44E1-B0E3-513B497727E2.jpeg

We had another private ride! The bus driver said we were the only guests he had driven today! :jawdrop: Now I don’t know how long his shift was, but to not have any other passengers on a day in July is remarkable (even for a resort under refurbishment.)

“Well you were cheaper than Uber!” I exclaimed as we exited the bus. “Have a nice night!”

mcstensrud

You don’t get very wet sitting in the back of the log and Em and I really needed some cooling off.
“Pool?” I asked.
“Duh,” she replied.

Duh it was.
View attachment 239686

This was the afternoon we found loungers near the waterfall....

View attachment 239694

....which provided the perfect “white noise” for napping. :cool:

Swim, nap, swim, lounge. Doesn’t get much better than this.

Our evening was wide open. After we cleaned up we enjoyed some balcony time and discussed our options.
“I have a craving,” I announced.
“For what?” asked Em.
“Carnitas and Caramelitas!” I sang gleefully.

We hopped a bus to MK to make the transfer. And this was when #ShirleyStatus kicked into high gear.

View attachment 239691

We had a private ride all the way to:
View attachment 239693

The driver had to make all the stops before we disembarked at the main building. Not a soul got on.

There wasn’t a soul (other than CMs) at the Pepper Market either. It was oddly quiet for 6:30 pm!
View attachment 239687

Gee, I wonder if we can find a quiet table.....
View attachment 239688

.....seems it won’t be much of a challenge!
View attachment 239689

This food court is so festive, the CMs are so friendly and the food is so delish! It is well worth going out of your way for!

I don’t think I came up for air once I began eating my carnitas....it was that good. Em also made quick work of her cheese empanadas (thought of you, @bee!) We shared the Caramelita even though I had bought two....another treat for later, yay!
View attachment 239690

Full and satisfied, we made our way to the bus stop out front where the MK bus was waiting for us. As we climbed aboard, I recognized the driver as the one who had dropped us off.

“Enjoy your dinner?” he asked.
“It was delicious!”
“Ready to return to the MK?” the driver inquired as he closed the door.

The bus looked like this:
View attachment 239692

We had another private ride! The bus driver said we were the only guests he had driven today! :jawdrop: Now I don’t know how long his shift was, but to not have any other passengers on a day in July is remarkable (even for a resort under refurbishment.)

“Well you were cheaper than Uber!” I exclaimed as we exited the bus. “Have a nice night!”
We got some of your Shirley Status in September when we went there for lunch and there was a convention going on. They were on lunch break and not a table to be had At the Pepper Market so we were ushered into the Maya Grille for a private dining experience.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We entered the MK. Em had brought her tripod and wanted to take HEA photos from the somewhat secluded location we’d discovered in June.

But first a stop in the Emporium.

What a Dapper Mouse!
EA0801AB-B22F-4D8D-9D8C-7F7D31DCA642.jpeg

The HEA convert remarked how much she liked this cap. But even her winsome doe eyes did not cause her mama to open her wallet.
BDC9B914-0A7A-4DDC-98A0-5BF6B12E6898.jpeg

(Not this trip anyway. But let’s just say Em will be sporting this hat on her next vacation ~ I bought it in August to thank her for watching the kitties when Woody and I were here.)

Once we found our spot we had about a half hour wait for the fireworks to begin.

00A8566A-A9A2-4E9B-867F-34B61ECCCF8D.jpeg

There was actually a bench I could sit on while watching the show!
BB2002D6-18E8-4FC8-88E7-A03AF86198F5.jpeg

Almost time....
31129ACE-8EF0-4C6C-BE7D-5454FF759EBF.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I’ll let Em’s work speak for itself.

32F5BB25-F009-45BC-89F7-A55952FAA45C.jpeg

1AF39DA7-5B6D-4D9B-A3AD-897EB0685184.jpeg

3EDD3C15-1748-4DA7-BA2E-42B37E822177.jpeg

4021BC7A-5F38-4483-8224-1D2ED307ADA4.jpeg

6F29DBD1-3E07-4B49-8D47-4412FE873D0B.jpeg

8E9473F7-C3FC-4023-AADA-2BE0B8562B44.jpeg

3D691F5A-EE9D-4290-AB01-0C5614FACE0A.jpeg

52CA3AEC-B7CD-413D-910E-C3BF4931BDD2.jpeg

Earlier I had made a FP for Big Thunder Mountain for when HEA was over. Nighttime rides are the best!

As much as we wanted to stay until closing it was still sticky humid and crowded. Returning to the Lodge was the better choice.

Besides, we’d be back.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
You're an inspiration! :p
It’s a tough life but somebody’s gotta do it. :D

We got some of your Shirley Status in September when we went there for lunch and there was a convention going on. They were on lunch break and not a table to be had At the Pepper Market so we were ushered into the Maya Grille for a private dining experience.
Now that’s pretty cool!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom