Packing question about visiting WDW in early December

My son and I are visiting WDW at the end of November/early December. For the most part we plan to spend all day and night in the parks without going back to our room. Does anybody have any packing tips? I’ve nevet gone any other time other than spring break.
I’m guessing shorts during the day and bring a change of jeans for the night? Also, what do you use for jackets? We are from
Michigan so I was thinking of bringing a spring jacket and a sweatshirt? Or should I bring our winter jackets? Any help would be appreciated!

carriebeth

we have gone in december a couple times. ONce we were fine in shorts all day and a sweatshirt to start off and end the days. THe next time it was simply freezing. We had to go out and buy gloves hats wear leggings for under the girls princess dresses etc. I bought footed pajamas for the little ones to change them into at nights and they wore those with heavy fleece sweatshirts and I bought big fleece blankets to tuck them under in the strollers. Winter coats would have totally been appropriate. This was the trip that ruined Disney in December for us. we couldn't use the pools and wore long pants with heavy sweatshirts all day and was still cold. while i think that was more of an unusual year, I would wait to closer to your trip and watch the weather to decide exactly what to take.

Upvote 0

drizgirl

I can only speak to WDW in January cool weather when the average high is 71. On a sunny day we wear shorts, on an overcast day we wear jeans. Regardless, stuff a sweatshirt in your backpack.
Unfortunately "averages" are made up of temps above and below that level. Once you've headed for the parks in sub freezing temps, you never leave it to chance again. Unless you want to pay Mickey prices to outfit everyone in your group with winter wear.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

As one who traveled to FL in December often - really nobody knows. Like spring break it can be hot or it can be chilly or it can be both in the same week. Watch the weather and adjust for it as best as you can. It's been in the 80s and 40s both when I've been there in Dec.

Upvote 0

Courtney6682

We've gone in either Jan or Feb since 2013 and have always been lucky during the day. We've done long pants and short sleeved shirts during the day and then long pants and hoodies at night...we've experienced a few nights that got down into the 30's in Jan and early Feb....so I'm assuming December might be close to that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NelleBelle

We did a trip in Nov. where we did shorts during the day but had to change to jeans and sweatshirts/sweaters at night. I packed a large tote bag with changes of clothes and just rented a large locker for the day to shove our stuff in. If for some reason we park hopped, make sure you get a receipt so you don't have to pay for another locker at the new park. I'm someone that can't stand to be cold (would rather be hot) so would rather be on the safe side than be miserable (and have to look for long pants, which is harder to find at the gift shops at the parks). :)

Upvote 0

DisDadWoz

We've had trips during that time when we started the week with long pants and coats and ended with shorts and t-shirts. If you have a backpack to use you can carry a pair of sweatpants and sweatshirt on those days where it may get colder in the evening. You can tell the night before what the weather will be like the next day. One thing is for sure, it's never "average":eek:

Upvote 0

Driver

I live down here, and to back up what others have said bring a variety of options. For the most part daytime is shorts but nights depends on your comfort level. I would not bring a heavy winter jacket. But to keep from bringing all your clothes to FL.(LOL) think layering. Back when I lived out of state and was a visitor my fallback was " oh well guess I gotta buy another Disney sweatshirt " enjoy and have a magical visit.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

Thanks everybody! I didn’t know you could rent lockers either so that gives a me a little more flexibility.
The lockers are a life saver for us! Remember, when you are returning your key to get your deposit back, ask for a receipt if you're going to another park and plan to rent another locker so you're not paying twice. The lockers are multiple sizes and we always try and get a large/xtra large one since I'm shoving such a large bag in there :oops::rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Raegansmommy

We have only ever visited Disney the first week in December. One year it will be beautiful weather, shorts during the day, even in the evenings, others a bit chillier. Then the next, it's in the 50's all day! My husband mostly wears shorts all week, but packs a few pair of jeans just in case. I normally change into pants or capris for the evening. We usually start the day in a sweatshirt since it's chilly in the mornings and you will need them again in the evening. We are from Northern Ohio (near Sandusky), so when we fly out, I usually leave our winter coats in the car and I take our Columbia Fleece jackets for myself and my daughters, and my husband has a lighter NorthFace jacket. I would say like more like Fall coats than Spring. Also, if you have any small children I would even throw a lighter winter hat in the bag or at least make sure they have a hooded jacket. Keep a close eye on the 10 day forecast before leaving as well. I am one that I wait until the night before to pack because you never know! Have a great trip, we are going the 2nd week in Dec this year!

Upvote 0

jaygatsby

We're gonna be there for Christmas week and are trying to pack lightly. We don't want to rent a locker, crowds make walking through Main Street just to get to lockers pretty unbearable. We also don't want to have to change (bathroom lines will be outrageous). The general consensus seems to be layering? Any other advice for packing during peak season?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom