New Tomorrowland. Is this the year it finally gets announced?

Gusey

Did anyone else pause for a second and notice the first announcement was redacted, first saying electric cars are coming in 2026, but then clarified to say the gas cars are leaving 2026 with no opening announcement or even time frame on when to expect the electric cars?

So we have somewhat of a timeframe for the gas cars ending their run but no idea on when the replacements will arrive?

Lots of questions fill my mind. Why end something when you don't have something ready to replace it with. Like a plan. Or do they have a plan for something else? 🤔 Maybe a bigger plan? Maybe Autopia isn't the only thing clothing is 2026? ...

Nah! It's late. I'm dreaming
I think it's related to the Honda contract ending in 2026. Unless Honda decide to update the attraction early, Disney can't get rid of the gas vehicles until 2026

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think it's related to the Honda contract ending in 2026. Unless Honda decide to update the attraction early, Disney can't get rid of the gas vehicles until 2026
Overall I agree with this.

Honda isn't in the gas business, its not like when Chevron was the sponsor. So they can switch prior to the existing contract ending if they wanting to. But if Disney is wanting Honda to help foot the bill in part or entirely to go electric, I assume the existing contract only has Honda kicking in a certain amount for the sponsorship. So why not wait until the existing contract ends, lock Honda into another 10 year contract, and get them to increase the amount for the sponsorship to cover the switch. And I'm guessing Honda would agree as its not like they don't have a line of electric vehicles they could promote as part of the sponsorship.

Or if Honda doesn't agree its not like Disney hasn't partnered with other car manufacturers before for an electric vehicle, like Hyundai.

TP2000

You can have your convertible converted to electric. I considered it for mine when it was failing before mechanics finally figured out what was wrong and fixed it.

Really? I had no idea that was an option. But my convertible is only a few years old and has very low miles, and is maintained by the dealer without a single problem so far, so it's going to outlive me. Maybe I could be buried in it? 🤣

I'm in town for a Concours car show thing (but really just here for the social bit and to get the place ready for summer). My tennis club is a sponsor of the Concours, along with Mercedes-Benz. Mercedes had a mini car show on display at the club this weekend, including several of their new EV models. Friends and I were talking about how HUGE these cars have become lately. There was a big new sedan called an EQS on display that had a passing resemblance to the Goodyear Blimp sitting on the landing field.

Svelte is not in, apparently.

TP2000

Did anyone else pause for a second and notice the first announcement was redacted, first saying electric cars are coming in 2026, but then clarified to say the gas cars are leaving 2026 with no opening announcement or even time frame on when to expect the electric cars?

So we have somewhat of a timeframe for the gas cars ending their run but no idea on when the replacements will arrive?

Lots of questions fill my mind. Why end something when you don't have something ready to replace it with. Like a plan. Or do they have a plan for something else? 🤔 Maybe a bigger plan? Maybe Autopia isn't the only thing clothing is 2026? ...

Nah! It's late. I'm dreaming

Great points.

This is fairly obvious that it's a repeat of the Splash Mountain announcement 4 years ago. The cart got ahead of the horse on this one, and they're just trying to keep the LA Times at bay now. Check back in 2027 or 2030.

TP2000

And much like HSR it is being built out now, as shown with the storage sites being built. So yeah its a bit more than just a press release. It may not be completely 0 by 2030 but I'm sure it'll be WAY less natural gas used in 2030 than today. And one thing is for sure it'll be zero coal used by the time 2030 rolls around.

Happy Earth Day!

This reminds me of that conversation we all had a few years ago about the solar panels on the roof of Cars Land's show building. Disney had plenty of puffy media releases about them, but after some digging we discovered that the solar panels would only provide about 0.7% of the Resort's electricity needs, and only in daylight hours without cloud cover.

It's all just a schmoozy PR campaign to make low-information Disney fans think they're making a difference. :rolleyes:

Which is why 10 years after those solar panels got put on Cars Land's roof, they are still the ONLY solar panels in place in the entire Disneyland Resort area. Because they really don't do much, they're more trouble than their worth, and they already got their little hit of PR media coverage accomplished from that silly gimmick.

2024 View From Space Station X-1: Disneyland's only solar panels still noted in red box

Earth Day!.jpg

mlayton144

Happy Earth Day!

This reminds me of that conversation we all had a few years ago about the solar panels on the roof of Cars Land's show building. Disney had plenty of puffy media releases about them, but after some digging we discovered that the solar panels would only provide about 0.7% of the Resort's electricity needs, and only in daylight hours without cloud cover.

It's all just a schmoozy PR campaign to make low-information Disney fans think they're making a difference. :rolleyes:

Which is why 10 years after those solar panels got put on Cars Land's roof, they are still the ONLY solar panels in place in the entire Disneyland Resort area. Because they really don't do much, they're more trouble than their worth, and they already got their little hit of PR media coverage accomplished from that silly gimmick.

2024 View From Space Station X-1: Disneyland's only solar panels still noted in red box

View attachment 780792
WDW will be getting 40% of their power needs from solar - stop being a deusch

TP2000

WDW will be getting 40% of their power needs from solar - stop being a deusch

I'm Swedish, not Dutch. ;) 🇸🇪 🇺🇸

And that WDW analogy exactly proves my point. The solar plants in Florida that feed power to WDW span 1,000 acres, and in the best of weather situations (cloudless skies, mid-day, and within 60 days of the Summer Solstice) they can handle 40% of the electricity load for WDW, until the sun starts to set. Then WDW switches back to the other three sources that power Central Florida; gas, coal, and nuclear.

1,000 acres is approximately 1.56 square miles. Here is what 1.56 square miles of solar paneling looks like superimposed on the Anaheim Resort District shown as the blue box.

Solar Panel.jpg

I swear this person seems like they thrive on trying to prove others wrong

Just providing facts and data that the Disney PR puff pieces often leave out. Like a decade ago when they made a big deal about the solar panels on the roof of the Cars ride, which only provide 0.7% of Disneyland's daily electricity needs under the very best of weather conditions.

Which is why the rest of the massive roofs across Disney property have never had solar panels installed since. Because it was just a cheesy media campaign without real substance behind it. Or exactly 0.7% of substance behind it.🧐

TP2000

That clarification of phrasing (gas cars gone by 2026, not electric cars arriving by 2026) certainly suggests a complete removal / reuse of the Autopia & Subs area in a revised Tomorrowland is under consideration yet again.

I agree, and I imagine Autopia wouldn't be long for this world if they really do intend to completely overhaul Tomorrowland.

Thus, you get the vague and almost contradictory statements that Disney PR has been putting out on this topic ever since the Climate Reporter from the LA Times demanded Disney address the issue for their readers who wouldn't be caught dead visiting Disneyland.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Happy Earth Day!

View attachment 780792
Ah yes divert the conversation to something not even being discussed to try to win some internet points, classic TP.

Anyways back to the conversation....

Even if you have no faith in Anaheim eliminating coal for generating power by 2027, I do have faith in that.
Even if you have no faith that CA will be reducing natural gas for generating power starting in 2030, I do have faith in that.

You're entitled to your opinion just as am I. You can think its all PR fluff all you want. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong on this, no matter how many old conversations you bring up.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Great points.

This is fairly obvious that it's a repeat of the Splash Mountain announcement 4 years ago. The cart got ahead of the horse on this one, and they're just trying to keep the LA Times at bay now. Check back in 2027 or 2030.
And if they announce it at D23? Does that make it a bit more real for you than some PR fluff to keep the LA Times at bay? I know your response will be about cancelled projects and all from past D23's. But is it even just possible, even just a tiny bit, that they might actually have a plan here?

TP2000

I don't know why solar power is such a divisive issue with some people lol

I think it's very useful on some larger homes, in some parts of the country.

Does it work in Seattle or Detroit or Boston? No, not really. Especially for 6 to 8 months out of the year.

And as a cure-all for replacing 50%+ of our current energy production that comes from gas and coal? Nope. Not even close. No matter how vaguely well written the press releases from Disney in 2014 made it seem.

Last edited:

TP2000

You're entitled to your opinion just as am I. You can think its all PR fluff all you want. But that doesn't mean I'm wrong on this, no matter how many old conversations you bring up.

It was one specific conversation from years ago, discussing the solar panels on the roof of the Cars Land warehouse.

And it turned out, via that conversation, that the solar panels create about 0.7% of the electricity needs of the Resort under the best of weather conditions. Which is why TDA stopped putting solar panels on all their warehouse roofs since then.

So it's exactly like Autopia going to EV's. Will the EV's be charged for their operating day overnight? What will the generating source be for that electricity flowing into Anaheim at 3am? Will it likely still be fossil fuels in 2028? Yes.

So why, exactly, does TDA need to obey the LA Times and convert Autopia to EV's that still use fossil fuels? 🤔

J4546

Though I worked for many years in the petroleum industry and do like the small of gas lol, glad to see the autopia cars becoming modernized with current tech. Cant wait to get an electric car myself!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was one specific conversation from years ago, discussing the solar panels on the roof of the Cars Land warehouse.
Yes I'm aware of the conversation, I have a very good memory.

And it turned out, via that conversation, that the solar panels create about 0.7% of the electricity needs of the Resort under the best of weather conditions. Which is why TDA stopped putting solar panels on all their warehouse roofs since then.
Is that the reason? Are you 150% sure that is why they didn't move forward with that project? Do you have an on the record confirmation from TDA on that fact that you can provide here?

Or is this your opinion that you're trying to pawn off as fact, I think so...

So it's exactly like Autopia going to EV's. Will the EV's be charged for their operating day overnight? What will the generating source be for that electricity flowing into Anaheim at 3am? Will it likely still be fossil fuels in 2028? Yes.
As has been provided to you by other posters there are MANY options that can be used here for turning Autopia electric. Many of which don't require overnight charging.

As for whether Anaheim as a whole, let alone Disneyland and just Autopia, will continue to use some type of fossil fuel in 2028.... We already know the answer will be yes by Anaheim's own documentation. But will it be coal, not very likely given Anaheim via that same documentation has already committed to eliminate coal by 2027. So that leaves natural gas, and that is so much cleaner than coal even if it still is a fossil fuel. One that will eventually also be phased out over time.

But even if this one attraction still uses some type of fossil fuel for whatever electricity usage it'll have, does that mean Disney shouldn't switch to electric cars.... No of course not. So I'm not sure what this whole thing is about other than you continue to rail against switching to cleaner alternatives like you've done anytime this topic comes up.

Technology changes, and any advancement in alternative sources of energy will continue as long as there are humans innovating. We aren't just going to stop at current technologies just because some might be less efficient than what TP from a Disney fan board thinks is needed to switch from fossil fuels.

So why, exactly, does TDA need to obey the LA Times and convert Autopia to EV's that still use fossil fuels? 🤔
Obey? As far as I know Disneyland has never obeyed the Times ever, so not sure why you think they would now. How do you know this isn't an actual project they have planned and that they just haven't been ready to release the information, and still wasn't fully ready when the Times posted their story?

mickEblu

Original Poster
I rode Autopia twice yesterday. I think sometimes we forget how much kids love that ride. My 8 year old son who is already bored of MMRR loves Autopia. My three year old daughter loves it as well. I took my time to really take in the atmosphere yesterday and it’s quite nice. Really neat lay out and very pleasant with all of those trees. Takes up a ton of room of course but I’m not sure if it would retain its charm if it got chopped in half. Not sure it needs it but When/ if it goes Electric it’ll probably get a soundtrack. Hopefully just some music and not some sort of radio chatter, narration or them trying to shove a story in there.

I have been in a less critical mood of late but I think TL as a whole isn’t as bad as we think it is. The Autopia/ Subs/ Matterhorn side is beautiful. Yes, it’s a hodge podge of IP (some of which doesn’t belong) and it could use a little refresh but as far as aesthetically I think if they did something with the ugly remains of the Rocket Jets tower (bring it back) and brought back the PeopleMover they’d be like 80% there. Then if they replaced Buzz with a dark ride or use it for show scenes for the PeopleMover, put a nice space themed restaurant in the Carrousel building and something appropriate in the TL theatre you’d have a pretty solid land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom