Trip Report Shortest Retirement in History?

Justin Bieber lasted 2 weeks.

Tom Brady lasted 40 days.

I, Tuvalu, outlasted them both. Not by much, mind you. Yet if not for the encouragement of some forum friends - along with some unusual circumstances - you wouldn’t be reading this.

Unusual circumstances, you say?

Around Thanksgiving my beloved Woody learned his presence was required at a work conference. In Orlando. At Universal.
Just down the road from Walt Disney World.

Woody said I could accompany him if he drove (rather than flew) to Florida. And that we could leave a couple days early and have some Disney time together.

Well you don’t have to ask me twice!

I’d be on my own during the conference. Since the majority of Universal’s attractions don’t appeal to me, it didn’t make sense for me to buy Uni tickets when I could visit WDW for free with my AP. Being solo, I thought it might be fun to do a live trip report so y’all could be my virtual companions!

Turns out I won’t be alone while Woody is occupied after all. Some friends that you have seen in my previous TRs (and one you haven’t) have offered to play with me. I can’t wait!

IMG_0404.jpeg

93boomer

Premium Member
Wednesday, April 3

Memo to self - always check notes in advance of posting. Doing so can prevent a faux pas like this:

The majority of my MK bus delay rant from yesterday was true, except the part about looking for the @riverside clan and Joey’s spotting us on the bus. You see, the exact situation happened again today - except it was the DHS bus that kept getting delayed. And it was this morning that I had looked for PLJ and J saw us on the bus.

That is how bad the early bus transportation was for us this week - whichever park we were trying to get to for EE, that was the bus that was late arriving and we never made EE on time.

Before getting off the bus at DHS, I checked the app and saw that RotR was down. We opted for MMMRR instead, sneaking in just before the park opened to everyone at 8:30 am.

View attachment 780506

While in the outdoor portion of the queue, I glanced over and saw this.

View attachment 780507

Notice the Cast Member?

View attachment 780508
That’s the end of the standby line for Slinky Dog Dash! :jawdrop: And at that moment it was filled only with guests eligible for EE!

Welcome to Easter week.

Thankfully MMRR is a big people-eater and if you get there before the LL people begin to show up the line moves quickly.

View attachment 780509

View attachment 780510
Oh this week we slept in because EE wasn’t a choice for us. We would still barely have a few early minutes during that time due to slow transportation. So opted to go in later.

We would usually head to the parks around 9 or 9:30. The bus stop each morning was still packed.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Wednesday, con’t

After our time with Kermit and the gang, we hurried to Baseline Tap House to meet up with more old friends.

The @riverside crew had gotten there at opening to lay claim on the communal table. They were already enjoying their beverages, charcuterie board and giant pretzel. Em and I waved to them as we approached the bar.

I had told Em about the delicious blood orange cider I’d had here and assumed she would order one as well. I assumed incorrectly as she ordered a margarita. We opted to have a pretzel too. Em grabbed our drinks as I waited for the pretzel (which was warm and soft - perfection!)

IMG_6675.jpeg

When I turned to head for the table, I noticed there was a man who had joined them. It surprised me because there wasn’t anyone in line ahead of us and there were other available tables, both inside and out.

But Disney is the place for making new friends, right?

IMG_3485.jpeg

Fun fact: our new pal showed us that the letters on the shelves above us spell Writers Stop - the name of the former bookstore/coffee shop which occupied this space from 1999-2017.

IMG_6676.jpeg

The party went on until early afternoon when it became blustery outside as a storm was rolling in. (For anyone wondering, yes Em and I had our PizzeRizzo fix - she got our pizzas to go and brought them back to Baseline.)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We made it to our resort room before the deluge began, although the winds felt like a 🌪️.

It poured and poured and poured for hours. We didn’t care as we did not have plans until evening. (It was also the only rain we had all week.)

We napped, though not as long as we would have liked thanks to the unsupervised kids shouting, playing and running back and forth right outside our door. (Parents, just because you don’t want to deal with your kids cooped up in your room, please don’t allow them to disturb your neighbors.)

Kyle Broflovski GIF by South Park

Em and I went to the food court to get dinner. Thanks to the inclement weather the place was a zoo. We picked the station with the shortest line and got half a roasted chicken with potatoes & carrots to share. We brought the food into the River Roost Lounge where Patti’s CM friend Patrick had set aside a table for us.

In our dozen+ stays at POR over the last 27 years, Em and I had never seen Yeeha Bob perform. We decided tonight was the perfect opportunity to watch his show with his diehard fans from Pittsburgh.

IMG_2365.jpeg

Bob is a talented pianist and quite the showman for a 69 year old!

IMG_2854.jpeg

IMG_2853.jpeg

He engages kids and adults alike with his down-home style. And though I know I disappointed @riverside by refusing to can-can dance with her, there’s nobody else I’d rather have seen Yeeha Bob with!

Additional bonus - Joey and Em reconciled. 😉

IMG_2855.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, April 4

@Zipadeelady - it’s our annual AK visit!

IMG_2857.jpeg

It goes without saying that we did not make it in time for 7:30 am EE. However we were only a few minutes late - and could not believe our eyes that the line for Kilimanjaro Safari was backed up allll the way to the Lion King theater! Now we have been in the extended queue for this attraction (which is after entering) and if that was already full, we were looking at a wait of at least three hours.

No Way José.

Though I hated to do it, I opened the app and bought Genie+. The safari was my only must-do since the animals are always active on a mild and cool day, which it was. So for $29/pp plus tax, I secured an 11-12 pm return time for us.

Em requested Dinosaur since standby was 5 minutes. On our way there we saw Launchpad McQuack.

IMG_2858.jpeg

IMG_8472.jpeg

We walked straight into the preshow theater when Claire Huxtable was reprimanding Grant Seeker.

Had I remembered that Photopass is included with Genie+, we would have posed better. :hilarious:

IMG_2865.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I asked Em if she wanted to do one of her favorite things at AK.

See Disney ducks?

IMG_2883.jpeg

Not that, though she did coo at the five ducklings.

Watch the monkeys (or is it apes @fractal, I can never remember)?

IMG_2881.jpeg

Not that, though she did laugh at their shenanigans.

Squirt water on unsuspecting guests riding Kali River Rapids?

IMG_2867.jpeg

BINGO!

IMG_2870.jpeg

Both of us might get a little too much satisfaction from pushing the button that activates the elephants. :cautious::joyfull:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

We spent a lot of time crisscrossing the park. Though we had passed Everest earlier on our way to Dinoland, Em didn’t want to ride it.

After our time on the Tiger trail she decided she did, and utilized single rider.

IMG_2884.jpeg

From Asia to Discovery Island. (Where Em was terrorized by the macaws flying overhead, @AKemily.)

SHOPPING!

IMG_2885.jpeg

IMG_2886.jpeg

How cool is this candy??!!

IMG_2888.jpeg

From Discovery Island to Pandora.

IMG_2889.jpeg

There’s been a disappointing change in the beef bowls at Satu’li Canteen. Strip loin has been replaced by braised beef. When you’re expecting steak and get pot roast instead….

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

(Oh I know exactly why - cost saving for Disney. And higher price for guests!)

93boomer

Premium Member
Thursday, con’t

We spent a lot of time crisscrossing the park. Though we had passed Everest earlier on our way to Dinoland, Em didn’t want to ride it.

After our time on the Tiger trail she decided she did, and utilized single rider.

View attachment 780770

From Asia to Discovery Island. (Where Em was terrorized by the macaws flying overhead, @AKemily.)

SHOPPING!

View attachment 780771

View attachment 780772

How cool is this candy??!!

View attachment 780774

From Discovery Island to Pandora.

View attachment 780775

There’s been a disappointing change in the beef bowls at Satu’li Canteen. Strip loin has been replaced by braised beef. When you’re expecting steak and get pot roast instead….

Why Me Crying GIF by Team Coco

(Oh I know exactly why - cost saving for Disney. And higher price for guests!)
I totally agree! And when did the beef change to shredded at LTT? DH and I thought we had beef slices the last time. It was awful!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I totally agree! And when did the beef change to shredded at LTT? DH and I thought we had beef slices the last time. It was awful!
Beef at LTT has always been chunks of pot roast in dark gravy.

Pork roast and turkey breast come sliced. Within the last couple years (remember the turkey shortage?) LTT cut back on the amount of white meat slices and added shredded dark meat. (At first I thought it was shredded pork, but the server corrected me.) And you’re right - it’s awful.

93boomer

Premium Member
Beef at LTT has always been chunks of pot roast in dark gravy.

Pork roast and turkey breast come sliced. Within the last couple years (remember the turkey shortage?) LTT cut back on the amount of white meat slices and added shredded dark meat. (At first I thought it was shredded pork, but the server corrected me.) And you’re right - it’s awful.
Oh that's right! I remember the chunks. I loved it. The texture is just strange on the shredded.

fractal

I asked Em if she wanted to do one of her favorite things at AK.

See Disney ducks?

View attachment 780734

Not that, though she did coo at the five ducklings.

Watch the monkeys (or is it apes @fractal, I can never remember)?

View attachment 780733

Not that, though she did laugh at their shenanigans.

Squirt water on unsuspecting guests riding Kali River Rapids?

View attachment 780730

BINGO!

View attachment 780731

Both of us might get a little too much satisfaction from pushing the button that activates the elephants. :cautious::joyfull:

Monkeys have tails, apes do not therefore those are apes. 😉

DSC00373-X3.jpg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thursday, con’t

From Pandora to Africa. Safari time.

I had tried getting a second Lightning Lane when our two hour “hold” expired. But AK was slammed and the few LL options available were for late afternoon. We’d be long gone.

Thus our Genie+ was essentially a $29 + tax ILL for Kilimanjaro Safari. Ouch.

Would it be worth it?

I wasn’t sure when we ended up in an extended LL queue!

IMG_2890.jpeg

It reminded me of those times years ago when my family would enter a Fastpass lane with a lengthy wait and called it Mediumpass.

But we didn’t have to pay for Fastpass.

Our wait wasn’t lightning fast but eventually we boarded our Jeep.

IMG_2891.jpeg

And it was an enjoyable journey.

Hello, zeeba neighbors!*

IMG_2893.jpeg

Giraffe on the move!

IMG_2895.jpeg

Elephant too!

IMG_2896.jpeg

A crash of rhinos. (Did you know a group of rhinos is called a crash?)

IMG_2898.jpeg

Was it worth it? We did see lots of active species. There was a pleasant breeze. And we didn’t have to wait 2.5 hours in a standby line.

So yeah, I suppose so.

*Pearls Before Swine comic reference

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
As we headed for the park exit we could not believe the crowds - the most people we have ever experienced in Animal Kingdom. The pool was calling us and we were ready for a break.

But AK wasn’t the only park overrun by guests.

IMG_2903.jpeg

Good thing we had no plans to hop to MK!

We got to the bus stop just as the POR bus was pulling away. But a POFQ bus was pulling in, so we decided to take it and walk over to POR.

Em and I almost had Shirley Status on the bus. Which perhaps explains why the driver allowed these gents to board with their luggage - a clear violation of Disney policy.

IMG_2900.jpeg

Where had they come from that they had suitcases? The airport? If so, why didn’t they take direct transport to POFQ?

Were they switching resorts? If so, why not have Disney move the luggage for them?

Did they visit AK? If so, what did they do with their bags while they were touring the park?

I had so many questions. But to avoid embarrassing my daughter, I kept my mouth shut.

After we were dropped off at POFQ, the gents headed for one of the resort buildings. I’m guessing they had checked in online and their room was ready.

Em and I walked along the Sassagoula to POR. We already had a lot of steps in and the day wasn’t over yet!

But first….relaxation at the pool.

IMG_3040.jpeg

riverside

But Disney is the place for making new friends, right?
Definitely!! I’m starting to think it’s “that table”. E talks about how many friends she’s made over the years there!!
The @riverside crew had gotten there at opening to lay claim on the communal table. They were already enjoying their beverages, charcuterie board and giant pretzel
You know my sister!!
LTT cut back on the amount of white meat slices and added shredded dark meat.
I(& my family)will always be grateful for you letting me know that when you & I dined there!!
But a POFQ bus was pulling in, so we decided to take it and walk over to POR.
I always say that is a plus of staying at those resorts!!
But to avoid embarrassing my daughter, I kept my mouth shut.
🤣🤣🤣

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom