The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

TP2000

Just start doing something. The LAX people mover is already so far behind too.

Newsom did get the law passes to get state run mental institutions for the homeless which was likely the best solution for that issue.

I admire your optimism. But a report released today shows that in just the past 5 years the State of California has spent $24 Billion on taxpayer funded homeless "solutions", and the problem grew from 130,000 homeless before the $24 Billion to 170,000 homeless after the $24 Billion (with a B).

That's $141,000 spent on each homeless person in California in the past 5 years. Where'd that money go? And what does spending an extra $6 Billion do, on top of the existing programs already funded with Billions in tax dollars per year?

The LA Olympics start in 4 years and 3 months, by the way. 🕰️

Last edited:

TP2000

I am LOVING those new Target commercials with Kristen Wiig as the Target Lady.

This is exactly the type of tone that companies should take in their commercials. Don't be afraid to poke fun at yourself! Laugh at yourself! 🤣

That's my notable fear for the past few years.... Disney really seems unable to laugh at itself, unable to laugh about the things it does. They take everything so gosh darned seriously now. Everything they do is allegedly "important" and "meaningful". When all they really do is run theme parks and make silly movies. They aren't curing cancer, or sending men back to the moon. It's just a theme park. It's just a cartoon.

Laugh at yourself Disney, like Target is able to do! It would be healthy for Disney to take themselves down a few pegs.

CaptinEO

I admire your optimism. But a report released today shows that in just the past 5 years the State of California has spent $24 Billion on taxpayer funded homeless "solutions", and the problem grew from 130,000 homeless before the $24 Billion to 170,000 homeless after the $24 Billion (with a B).

That's $141,000 spent on each homeless person in California in the past 5 years. Where'd that money go? And what does spending an extra $6 Billion do, on top of the existing programs already funded with Billions in tax dollars per year?

The LA Olympics start in 4 years and 3 months, by the way. 🕰️

To my knowledge the difference with the new bill and the past attempts is this will forcibly hospitalize people into mental institutions where the others were "opt in" programs that most of the homeless people would refuse.

Newsom himself said he wants to take people off the streets and into the institution.

Last edited:

truecoat

To my knowledge the difference with the new bill and the past attempts is this will forcibly hospitalize people into mental institutions where the others were "opt in" programs that most of the homeless people would refuse.

Newsom himself said he wants to take people off the streets and into the institution.

There's a good portion that just need a place to live to get back on their feet.

TP2000

There's a good portion that just need a place to live to get back on their feet.

I agree with that, and can understand that as someone who didn't always have money in the bank as a young man.

But the state of California has spent $24 Billion of tax money in the past 5 years, much of it operating shelters and free housing for anyone who needs it. But the population of homeless has only grown in California during that time, $24 Billion later.

This may be hard to believe for some Californians, but there are cities and states out there beyond Palm Springs who have zero tent encampments anywhere; much less lining city streets and freeway onramps and in city parks. And those states and cities didn't have to spend $24 Billion of taxpayer money to achieve that.

This problem is impacting California's tourism industry, in what used to be some of the most beautiful cities in the world in one of the most beautiful states in the nation.

TP2000

“Disney Adventure World”

Featuring Cars Road Trip and the “Exhilarating” Frozen Ever After.

This announcement sums up everything wrong with Disney right now.

What is that? I'm guessing the new name for Paris' studio park?

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of it gets lost in translation for us? Probably not, but maybe? :oops:

EDIT: I Googled. Yup, that's the new name for Paris' studio park. Yeesh. Do we have any Frenchmen or Francophiles here who can tell us if that translates better into French?

EDIT 2: Holy AI, Batman! Go read the text on this official Disney announcement. There's absolutely no way a human wrote that, it had to be AI generated. It's sooooooo cringey and cheesy and breathless, it's just impossible for a human to do that. Especially if they're at work, and sober.

Last edited:

Rich T

What is that? I'm guessing the new name for Paris' studio park?

Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe some of it gets lost in translation for us? Probably not, but maybe? :oops:

EDIT: I Googled. Yup, that's the new name for Paris' studio park. Yeesh. Do we have any Frenchmen or Francophiles here who can tell us if that translates better into French?

EDIT 2: Holy AI, Batman! Go read the text on this official Disney announcement. There's absolutely no way a human wrote that, it had to be AI generated. It's sooooooo cringey and cheesy and breathless, it's just impossible for a human to do that. Especially if they're at work, and sober.

Here’s the promo video:

Seriously, this just makes me cringe. So much puff-talk and smoke and mirrors. Same old-same old Disney PR nonsense.

They start by boasting about the place many call the worst of all Disney parks, have the nerve to describe Frozen Ever After as “exhilarating,” and then blather about all the great experiences coming… like… new ways to dine with royalty.

They’re treating this lame name change as if they were announcing something as big as Epic Universe.

The Disney fan part of my soul is projectile vomiting.

TP2000

Here’s the promo video:

Seriously, this just makes me cringe. So much puff-talk and smoke and mirrors. Same old-same old Disney PR nonsense.

They start by boasting about the place many call the worst of all Disney parks, have the nerve to describe Frozen Ever After as “exhilarating,” and then blather about all the great experiences coming… like… new ways to dine with royalty.

They’re treating this lame name change as if they were announcing something as big as Epic Universe.

Oh, geez. That's really bad. It's so cringey it's almost uncomfortable to sit through.

I fear this is how D23 Expo is going to go down this summer; with cringe and vapid AI scripts and hazy unfunded artwork. With lots and lots of B Roll of people slack-jawed and open-mouthed in amazement at the new spinner ride.

This video isn't a good sign that they get it and are course correcting. This is a sign that it's getting worse, not better. :eek:

On the bright side, at least they took Walt's name off this turkey of a park. That poor man.

Last edited:

Epcot81Fan

Oh, geez. That's really bad. It's so cringey it's almost uncomfortable to sit through.

I fear this is how D23 Expo is going to go down this summer; with cringe and vapid AI scripts and hazy unfunded artwork. With lots and lots of B Roll of people slack-jawed and open-mouthed in amazement at the new spinner ride.

This video isn't a good sign that they get it and are course correcting. This is a sign that it's getting worse, not better. :eek:
You honestly can't make it up anymore.

I'm just glad they made an equally terrible Avenger's Campus on the other side of the earth so that the Europeans would not feel left out.

1712956921575.png

CaptinEO

Here’s the promo video:

So we have Disney World, Disney California Adventure, and Disney Adventure World. Not confusing at all.

CaptinEO

On the bright side, at least they took Walt's name off this turkey of a park. That poor man.
Considering the last D23 spent 15 minutes showing an awkward Hulk meet and greet that was only in the parks for a month, good luck with this one.

This reeks of what they do with Disney World, more "experiences" and not new rides. Dining and meet and greets but not the primary things people go to themeparks for.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
It's like they chopped up all the theme park names they have in their portfolio, put it in a bingo cage, and took out the first two, and added Disney to the front. I wonder what the other options would be if they did that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom