News Disneyland to Electrify Autopia: Are Tomorrowland Speedway's gas cars next?

JohnD

Hong Kong DL opened with an electric version years ago, that was later removed to make space for IASW...I would have thought they would send the cars over to WDW back then...but it never happened sadly. WDW has the smallest track of the iterations, and the least amount of charm and design. They really need to reimagine the WDW version from the ground up...with the electric vehicles, an expanded track, with scenic and show elements... Make it feel like Disney and not International Drive. Make it feel like Tomorrowland not some strange area between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.View attachment 776548View attachment 776551
The problem is that an expanded track will be difficult as they literally shortened it to make room for Tron. I don't think there's any room to re-expand it.
1712073168806.png

JIMINYCR

Lets just go pedal cars. No danger of exhaust, fires, burns, or any other dangers that are of concern. And a side benefit is youll be promoting a healthy exercise routine to help overweight kids and their parents lose weight and stop the onset of diabetes and other weight related issues that plague this generation.

Captain Barbossa

Lets just go pedal cars. No danger of exhaust, fires, burns, or any other dangers that are of concern. And a side benefit is youll be promoting a healthy exercise routine to help overweight kids and their parents lose weight and stop the onset of diabetes and other weight related issues that plague this generation.
Christine McCarthy, is that you?

dmc493

I like the smell. Aside of that, the ride itself has been a rite of passage for tens of millions of children over the years. But EV's and environmental crusades and all that. Gotta make sure the optics are good for the corporate social score.
That rite of passage will still exist. Children will still get the sense of freedom of driving their own car, regardless of electric or gas. And these new EV cars will sound and act a helluva lot closer to the cars they’ll probably end up driving in 10-15 years

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
Terrific long overdue news. I will say though that Autopia at Disneyland is SO good and underrated. It's such a cool attraction compared to Magic Kingdom's and formerly Tokyo Disneyland's simple concrete loop. Hopefully, this change also comes to Magic Kingdom with at least an entrance redo as well.

Last edited:

Brian

Don't throw tomatoes at me but I've always thought this ride was silly and takes up too much space. Oh and doesn't fit Tomorrowland's theme. I'd be happy to see it go.
Agreed, but I'm fairly confident what may go in its place would be even less on theme for Tomorrowland.

Disstevefan1

Don't throw tomatoes at me but I've always thought this ride was silly and takes up too much space. Oh and doesn't fit Tomorrowland's theme. I'd be happy to see it go.
I hear you, but I do not trust them to replace it with something in s timely manner. I don't want to stare at walls for 5 to 7 years.

Tha Realest

There’s something interesting in Disney’s timing. Jumping back into gaming while the industry contracts. Going all-in on electric while that industry’s future is less certain.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The announcement is interesting to say the least. I guess this quiets the rumors (at least for a few more years) that Autopia at Disneyland would be closing to make room for anything else (Pandora? Tron? Tomorrowland expansion?) anytime soon, but I wonder if the fact that they DIDN'T announce the same for WDW could have similar implications. Does the lack of announcement mean that the speedway at WDW could be closing sometime soonish (I always thought replacing it with a low profile attraction like Aquatopia where it wouldn't impede the view of Tron would work well)? I think that would be welcome, but I don't think we'd be so lucky.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom