Countdown to Extinction's lost meteor finale: Is this test footage?

Carnotaurus Understudy

Original Poster
Longtime lurker here! I just came across a clip that is kind of blowing my mind, and I need to know if it's really what I think it is!

I am absolutely fascinated with lost and long-forgotten attraction effects. My personal holy grail has been images of the original, short-lived Countdown to Extinction finale. As I'm sure many of you know, the Carnotaurus head that the time rover dips under before returning to the Institute was the second version of the finale. Numerous sources have reported that, during attraction previews, there was some kind of meteor effect instead of the head. Few seem to agree on what exactly the meteor effect was, however. I have seen people refer to it as a physical prop, fiber optics, a white flash at the end of the orange trail of light in the trees, etc. Whatever it was, it did not perform to satisfaction and the oversized Carnotaurus head was commissioned and slapped together in a couple of weeks.

I was combing through ancient posts on this forum today for leads on the lost finale, and I came across references to an old Good Morning America special. According to these posters, the WDW 25th Anniversary special shows test footage of the original meteor finale. A quick google later, and... there it is!!! Go to 8:55 in the video:

Remember the smoke ring effect from the Heffalumps and Woozles scene in Pooh? Apparently they had MUCH bigger plans for it!

Could this really be test footage of the lost CTX finale? I am aware that there was another lost meteor effect in the ride: one of the test audio tracks for CTX references a small meteor striking the rover and knocking it off course. This scene, which occurred between the raptor and Carnotaurus #1, also apparently used the vortex generator to simulate a meteor. Reports have led me to believe that this smoke puff was smaller than the one shown in the video, though.

TalkToEthan

Based on that video and based on my actual 10+ rides on IJ Crystal Skull in Tokyo
I’m wondering if that same type of effect and technology found its way to Japan??

Instead of meteor coming at us on Dinosaur some tiki or statue freak blows a smoke ring on us.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
@Carnotaurus Understudy My apologies that I only saw this thread now...I am a CTX enthusiast and have combed the internet for clips of the ride. Thankfully, @marni1971 provided the answer for this question in his ultimate tribute. See video below.

Also a screenshot of the precise moment it's visible:
1702322770094.png

Cmdr_Crimson

@Carnotaurus Understudy My apologies that I only saw this thread now...I am a CTX enthusiast and have combed the internet for clips of the ride. Thankfully, @marni1971 provided the answer for this question in his ultimate tribute. See video below.

Also a screenshot of the precise moment it's visible:
View attachment 758459

Are we sure that It wasn't @marni1971 that edited that into his video to show what was supposed to be there? Everytime I watch it I felt this looked a bit odd..

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
I honestly prefer the meteor to the Carnataurus, because when the Carnataurus shows up in POVs, all I can think of is Dino barking from The Flintstones and then I'm out of the CTX universe. That is, if I'm not thinking of The Flintstones already. Gosh darn you, Hanna-Barbera.

Dragonman

I’ve asked around but there’s still conflicting reports on what the Asteroid was. Some people say a physical prop where the Carno head is, others say just the noise and flash of light. All videos from 1998 show the Carno head so I don’t know what to believe.

@marni1971 ’s old video is rather ambiguous about it but maybe he’ll have a concrete answer.

VicariousCorpse

I’ve asked around but there’s still conflicting reports on what the Asteroid was. Some people say a physical prop where the Carno head is, others say just the noise and flash of light. All videos from 1998 show the Carno head so I don’t know what to believe.

@marni1971 ’s old video is rather ambiguous about it but maybe he’ll have a concrete answer.

My speculation is the asteroid was never a prop. It was just the lighting overhead with the big puff of smoke. All the videos from 1998 show the Carno because he was in the ride on opening day. The meteor only was only during previews.

Are we sure that It wasn't @marni1971 that edited that into his video to show what was supposed to be there? Everytime I watch it I felt this looked a bit odd..
Clearly it was. Just like he added the net projection effect on the dino seconds before. It's just to aid visually.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So far as I’ve found so far, the physical asteroid was tested before opening and rejected. Hence the head on a pole. And yes, it’s a big of CGI compositing in my (old) video. I’ve a newer edit I’ve been working on for quite a while now, if I can get my brain fog head around it it could be finished should the attraction close.

donaldtoo

Slight thread drift here, but, did anyone else watch the entirety of that video…?!
Many things stood out to me, but, only 2 just for grins…
That castle cake still makes we wanna’ wretch, to this day, and “The Disney Look” scene was funny, in the fact that it’s long gone.
Definitely fun to watch, though, from almost 28 years ago…!!! :)

Carnotaurus Understudy

Original Poster
Ah, so there is more to the mystery after all!

Nice to see this thread revived in the wake of the ride's imminent closure, poor ol' Dinosaur never got the respect it deserves. There's something magical to me about attractions with things hidden in the dark.

celluloid

Based on that video and based on my actual 10+ rides on IJ Crystal Skull in Tokyo
I’m wondering if that same type of effect and technology found its way to Japan??

Instead of meteor coming at us on Dinosaur some tiki or statue freak blows a smoke ring on us.

This is what that test was for.

The Meteor that knocks of off course was a fiber optic like effect, sound and the vehicle reacting to it.

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
The meteor being in the ride would've been better in order to make it more "serious," because Flintstones (and Barney) had made 90% of the public unable to take dinosaurs seriously by then. Even Jurassic Park didn't do diddly squat, because Universal also made the Flintstones movie not even a year later.

Cmdr_Crimson

The meteor being in the ride would've been better in order to make it more "serious," because Flintstones (and Barney) had made 90% of the public unable to take dinosaurs seriously by then. Even Jurassic Park didn't do diddly squat, because Universal also made the Flintstones movie not even a year later.
I'm sorry, but let's thank that they never added the simian characters in the ride..Oh, yeah that meteor shower scene which where the part is taking place in the ride....If they had an Imax dome for the effect it would look more menacing...

S.I.R. the Robot

In the Parks
No
I'm sorry, but let's thank that they never added the simian characters in the ride..Oh, yeah that meteor shower scene which where the part is taking place in the ride....If they had an Imax dome for the effect it would look more menacing...

That scene is amazing; that should've been in the ride instead of derpy dinosaur that I expect to say, "It's a living."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom