News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

MistaDee

Ive been manifesting an E ticket boat ride (a few times even referencing the Shanghai ride system) for the Hollywood backlot/ expansion area for years. I'd go look for all the old quotes but I don't feel like it. It would be great to see it come to life. It would be the right spot for a huge show building.

I certainly recall a vocal consensus calling for an E-ticket water ride in DCA for years now

It meets a need for the park and fits in wonderfully if they do indeed go with a Way of Water story. For the actual land I'd much prefer a volcano biome, which I guess vaguely connects to California's own place on the Ring of Fire

Very curious to see how they attempt to shoehorn the Avatar theme into "California." Perhaps just a glum acceptance that these are "adventures" from Disney in the state of California...

mickEblu

I certainly recall a vocal consensus calling for an E-ticket water ride in DCA for years now

It meets a need for the park and fits in wonderfully if they do indeed go with a Way of Water story. For the actual land I'd much prefer a volcano biome, which I guess vaguely connects to California's own place on the Ring of Fire

Very curious to see how they attempt to shoehorn the Avatar theme into "California." Perhaps just a glum acceptance that these are "adventures" from Disney in the state of California...

There is no shoehorning necessary. The boat sailed with Mission Breakout.

D.Silentu

Pandora at AK is wonderful, great
Place making, not sure what you were hoping for
To reiterate, everything you say aligns with what I’ve seen of the land. That said, it does not appear to me to be a keen representation of the planet from the film, which is what I was hoping for.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
These two quotes seem to not understand what "cloning" truly entails. There's a big difference between re-using a ride system/layout as we've seen done with Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur, or Tower of Terror vs. Mission: Breakout, and straight up cloning the entire experience, from ride system down to story and themeing.

Personally, I think the former is perfectly reasonable, and if we do indeed get a Shanghai pirates system with an Avatar theme that would be great! The latter however is a big turnoff, and I sincerely hope we don't have Flight of Passage in the same park as Soarin.
You're using the word "clone" here liberally to fit the list you want to make.

IJA and Dinosaur are the exact same ride in ride system, layout, and ride vehicle, the only difference is the theming. That is very definition of a clone, and many argue Dinosaur is a lesser version.

Same with Mission: Breakout, as when the ride opened at DCA in 2004 it was ToT, a clone even by your definition (again as some argue a lesser version). It wasn't rethemed to Mission: Breakout until 2017. But it doesn't change the fact that it still a clone at its core. And I say that as someone who was on here defending the retheme as making it a different experience. But even I can admit its the same ride just with different ride profiles.

So yeah theming helps try to differentiate between the clones, but doesn't change that they are in fact clones. For example someone who's been on IJA that then goes on Dinosaur will know pretty much every aspect of the ride experience short of the actual dinosaurs.

Make your list, but to say that some of these that are being pointed out aren't clones is not being honest.

PiratesMansion

These two quotes seem to not understand what "cloning" truly entails. There's a big difference between re-using a ride system/layout as we've seen done with Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur, or Tower of Terror vs. Mission: Breakout, and straight up cloning the entire experience, from ride system down to story and themeing.
As someone who has done both Roaring Rapids and GRR in person, I can tell you that the two attractions are not so substantially different in scenery so as to feel like different rides. Dinosaur and Indy don't feel like the same attraction to me, even though they are, because the feel, story, visuals, etc. are sufficiently different. That's not the case with RR & GRR. I went on RR and my overriding thought (other than the pointlessness of building a big animatronic on a rapids ride where the seating configuration all but guarantees that someone will miss it entirely) was "huh, that feels like Grizzly." Then I double-checked by comparing POVs, and sure enough, they're basically the same ride.

Saying a ride isn't a clone because the window dressing is different depends on the situation, and to me, saying that Grizzly and Roaring Rapids aren't clones because of what I feel are relatively superficial theming differences doesn't pass the smell test. They're not different enough to feel like distinct experiences.

Last edited:
I don’t want to get anybody in trouble so I’m gonna be real vague here and naturally you can choose to believe a total stranger on an internet forum or not…
IMG_4153.jpeg
However, I’ve personally confirmed with somebody very integral to the Avatar team that they are actively working on bringing the reef/island locales from “The Way of Water” to the Disneyland Resort. Notably NOT the central Florida friendly lush rainforest environment featured at DAK. No more information beyond that but I’d personally KILL to finally have the Shanghai Pirates tech utilized in this particular story world. I wanna hang with the Tulkun!

Consumer

I don’t want to get anybody in trouble so I’m gonna be real vague here and naturally you can choose to believe a total stranger on an internet forum or not…View attachment 772970However, I’ve personally confirmed with somebody very integral to the Avatar team that they are actively working on bringing the reef/island locales from “The Way of Water” to the Disneyland Resort. Notably NOT the central Florida friendly lush rainforest environment featured at DAK. No more information beyond that but I’d personally KILL to finally have the Shanghai Pirates tech utilized in this particular story world. I wanna hang with the Tulkun!
Would be great for a singular attraction, not as much for an entire land. Still, I do think the floating mountains and the banshees are more interesting than anything we saw in Avatar 2.

J4546

As someone who has done both Roaring Rapids and GRR in person, I can tell you that the two attractions are not so substantially different in scenery so as to feel like different rides. Dinosaur and Indy don't feel like the same attraction to me, even though they are, because the feel, story, visuals, etc. are sufficiently different. That's not the case with RR & GRR. I went on RR and my overriding thought (other than the pointlessness of building a big animatronic on a rapids ride where the seating configuration all but guarantees that someone will miss it entirely) was "huh, that feels like Grizzly." Then I double-checked by comparing POVs, and sure enough, they're basically the same ride.

Saying a ride isn't a clone because the window dressing is different depends on the situation, and to me, saying that Grizzly and Roaring Rapids aren't clones because of what I feel are relatively superficial theming differences doesn't pass the smell test. They're not different enough to feel like distinct experiences.
yeah but they arent clones they have slightly different track layouts as well

mickEblu

I don’t want to get anybody in trouble so I’m gonna be real vague here and naturally you can choose to believe a total stranger on an internet forum or not…View attachment 772970However, I’ve personally confirmed with somebody very integral to the Avatar team that they are actively working on bringing the reef/island locales from “The Way of Water” to the Disneyland Resort. Notably NOT the central Florida friendly lush rainforest environment featured at DAK. No more information beyond that but I’d personally KILL to finally have the Shanghai Pirates tech utilized in this particular story world. I wanna hang with the Tulkun!

Seems hard to really pull off in a theme park environment but with clever staging and the proper funds I suppose all is possible. This image certainly makes the beach look more distinct than I remember it from the movie. Regardless, if this means we get an Avatar version of Shanghai POTC, Florida can keep their floating mountains. Haha. If you think about it it makes sense. The most distinct parts of the sequel are underwater. I’m thinking of those giant screens/ “underwater” scenes on POTC at Shanghai.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

yeah but they arent clones they have slightly different track layouts as well
Close enough.

I'm not going to give a ride that is the same *except for a turn or two* the credit for being an entirely unique ride that's totally different.

They are very, VERY similar too each other. One might even argue that the RR scenery is essentially the GRR scenery run through an "edgy adventure" AI program.

And if you get to Shanghai and ride RR some day, I'm guessing your reaction isn't going to be "wow, that was a totally different experience that in no way reminded me of GRR!!!"

J4546

well it may remind me of GRR but so does Calico River Rapids and others. Plus Ill never go to Shanghai so any ride they "clone" in US is fine by me...even though its not a clone

Purduevian

Given that DAK is likely due to get the next expansion among the WDW second gates, I'd imagine anything successful at DCA as part of an Avatar expansion would stand a decent chance of being brought over to Florida.

Whether or not it would fit, or be done to the level that Rohde would have desired, is a more open question.

Perfect. We can level 90% of Hollywoodland immediately.
Not sure if you were talking physical space or not... but if you were...
Max land in DCA I could see it taking is ~615,000 sqft
1710449058915.png

Animal Kingdom Pandora has 2 expansion pads.
Pad 1 is ~168,000sqft
1710449224677.png

Pad 2 is ~180,000
1710449340992.png

Of course in WDW, Roads and lakes can always be moved...

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Very true, there seems to be some confusion between:

1. Reusing the same ride system (with a different layout and/or theme)
2. Reusing the same ride system and layout (with a different theme)
3. Reusing the same theme (with a different ride system and/or layout)
4. Reusing the same ride system, layout, and theme

In my opinion (and I think this is agreed upon by many others), only the fourth one is what is truly considered "cloning" an attraction.

Everything is Galaxy's Edge is a clone. The original TOT in DCA and at DLP are clones. Both Soarins are clones. Ratatouille is a clone. Tron is a clone.

DL's Indiana Jones and DAK's Dinosaurs are NOT clones. RSR and Test Track are NOT clones. The two U.S. Space Mountains are NOT clones. Hotel Hightower and TOT at DLP are NOT clones.

Professortango1

Very true, there seems to be some confusion between:

1. Reusing the same ride system (with a different layout and/or theme)
2. Reusing the same ride system and layout (with a different theme)
3. Reusing the same theme (with a different ride system and/or layout)
4. Reusing the same ride system, layout, and theme

In my opinion (and I think this is agreed upon by many others), only the fourth one is what is truly considered "cloning" an attraction.

Everything is Galaxy's Edge is a clone. The original TOT in DCA and at DLP are clones. Both Soarins are clones. Ratatouille is a clone. Tron is a clone.

DL's Indiana Jones and DAK's Dinosaurs are NOT clones. RSR and Test Track are NOT clones. The two U.S. Space Mountains are NOT clones. Hotel Hightower and TOT at DLP are NOT clones.

If rides are unmistakably similar to the general public, they are clones for me. All TOT's are clones, even if Florida has the original concept and Paris, DCA, and TDS have the 2.0 model and varied storylines. The average person goes - oh, that's the same thing as Tower of Terror in Florida. Same with Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Big Thunder. They are all slightly different at different parks, but for the general audiences, they are the same rides.

PiratesMansion

well it may remind me of GRR but so does Calico River Rapids and others. Plus Ill never go to Shanghai so any ride they "clone" in US is fine by me...even though its not a clone
My word. I can tell you as someone who has experienced both that it is close enough even if it's not a 100% perfect match. Watch the POVs below; even if the exact sequence of turns is slightly different, it's close enough that it's basically the same ride. At any rate, what do you care? I figured you'd be busy in Toontown, which you've unironically dubbed one of the world's best theme park lands and a dramatic change from what was there before, rather than worrying about the minutiae of a theme park you've never actually been to and have no plans to visit. But at any rate, here's the videos to watch for comparison, because apparently looking for videos is hard:

Grizzly:

Roaring Rapids:

You're welcome!
Not sure if you were talking physical space or not... but if you were...
Max land in DCA I could see it taking is ~615,000 sqft
View attachment 773031
Animal Kingdom Pandora has 2 expansion pads.
Pad 1 is ~168,000sqft
View attachment 773032
Pad 2 is ~180,000
View attachment 773035

Of course in WDW, Roads and lakes can always be moved...
Fit used to mean "whether or not it fits (thematically or logistically) with what is already in place at DAK.
If rides are unmistakably similar to the general public, they are clones for me. All TOT's are clones, even if Florida has the original concept and Paris, DCA, and TDS have the 2.0 model and varied storylines. The average person goes - oh, that's the same thing as Tower of Terror in Florida. Same with Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Big Thunder. They are all slightly different at different parks, but for the general audiences, they are the same rides.
Exactly. Only a few things are exact, perfect clones of each other, but there's enough similarities between, say, the HMs that most people don't waste so much time splitting hairs between them. They are recognized to be related and to share similar attributes. If a WDWer came to DL during a time when regular HM was closed, would people be more likely to tell them that it's a big deal because the DL Mansion is different or that it's close enough to WDW's that for most people, it's not that big of the deal of a ride to miss? I'd say most would opt for the latter response even if the rides aren't exactly 1:1 of each other. But for whatever reason, this thread has brought out the "WELL AKSHULLY" brigade out of the woodwork.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
I’m not saying the whole park is stepping into the movies. The whole park is still pretty much California. Just a California homage with IP. Grizzly is still very much California. Pixar Pier is still reminiscent of a California Pier. San Fransokyo is still reminiscent of California. Cars Land is still very much reminiscent of California. Avengers Campus is … reminiscent of Silicon Valley? Stretch, but whatever. Buena Vista street is very nice and an homage to old Hollywood.

Hollywood Land needs to get wiped off the fake of this ugly earth, and I don’t think replacing it with a single IP land is the worst thing in the world. It makes sense that a park with California ties would have a single-movie IP land that’s wholly unrelated to California.

Throwing Toy Story land in Epcot or Animal Kingdom wouldn’t make sense, but my argument is that entertainment, movies, and the export of content are so integral to California that highlighting that content (beyond just the production of it) is a fair inclusion.

It’s obviously less California inherent than other potential outlets, but I’m not sure why people want a random movie park. It would make the park worth. A random hodgepodge is far worse than a bunch of stuff that generally trends in a specific direction.

And disclaimer, I personally really like current DCA, it’s incredibly superior to DHS in just about every way.

I don’t think they should keep Hollywood Land. It’s very ugly. And sure, you could use it as a gateway, but my main point was that I don’t detest a large single-IP in DCA.
Yeah DCA really is better than HWS in every way. It's not a massive gap but I always enjoy my time there for the vibes it gives off especially in Pixar Pier and Cars Land at night.

From the park itself to the restaurants, park hours, and especially the wait times, it has a lot going for it and I'm so excited to see it get major expansions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom