News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Not interested in giving credit to who was "first," the point of the exercise was to identify experiences that you can only have at DCA, thus, Soarin' is in the duplicate category.
I understand but the point was that while the experience has been duplicated elsewhere its actually not the clone. As when these discussions happen it typically leads to saying that the clone is somehow a lesser version than the original. So credit should be given here that Soarin' in DCA is the original. :)

MistaDee

I understand but the point was that while the experience has been duplicated elsewhere its actually not the clone. As when these discussions happen it typically leads to saying that the clone is somehow a lesser version than the original. So credit should be given here that Soarin' in DCA is the original. :)

then feel free to give credit for that in your own list....

whether it came first is irrelevant in this context. The fact is, in 2024 you can do it in Florida or Japan

Disney Irish

Premium Member
then feel free to give credit for that in your own list....

whether it came first is irrelevant in this context. The fact is, in 2024 you can do it in Florida or Japan
Well then if we're being honest RSR should be in the "Technically Exclusive" column as its just a clone of Test Track with better theming.

Professortango1

Yes, but Soarin is a bare bones proof-of-concept. Flight of Passage is the actual Disney quality experience and not cloned, as of yet.

PiratesMansion

All sorts of DCA bashing happened over the past few pages, which I am here for, but not one person mentioned (or at least, I don't recall seeing anyone) going from SOC to SATW as a significant downgrade? It's at least an underdiscussed aspect in the decline of the park. Perhaps others are less offended by the change than I am.
Sure there's still the differences you mentioned but the new trend is cloning full lands and attractions. Can they at least reach into their international parks for us Californians please?
They're doing that for WDW.
You don’t think there is enough difference between WDW and DLR to get the average theme park fan out there 1-2 times?
I'd say there absolutely is, even with more straight duplicates going in than before.
Technically Exclusive
  • Grizzly River Rapids
Not really true anymore, as Roaring Rapids in Shanghai has the exact same layout.

mickEblu

All sorts of DCA bashing happened over the past few pages, which I am here for, but not one person mentioned (or at least, I don't recall seeing anyone) going from SOC to SATW as a significant downgrade? It's at least an underdiscussed aspect in the decline of the park. Perhaps others are less offended by the change than I am.

They're doing that for WDW.

I'd say there absolutely is, even with more straight duplicates going in than before.

Not really true anymore, as Roaring Rapids in Shanghai has the exact same layout.

Soaring Around the World is a huge downgrade. It’s probably the least discussed because it comes back every year even if it’s grainy and dim.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

For DLR's Avatar E ticket, maybe they could dust off the original Avengers E ticket quinjet ride system assuming they are able to work out the capacity issues. As for the D ticket, maybe there will be another boat ride or some sort of other interactive dark ride.

mickEblu

For DLR's Avatar E ticket, maybe they could dust off the original Avengers E ticket quinjet ride system assuming they are able to work out the capacity issues. As for the D ticket, maybe there will be another boat ride or some sort of other interactive dark ride.

It would be a shame if Avatar land didn’t come with a boat ride. DCA could really use one and I can’t think of a Disney owned IP that would work better.

PiratesMansion

I just want a great water based e ticket. I dont want soarin as the e ticket for this version of avatar land
1710380004838.png

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If/when this comes to California, what do you think are the odds that it also benefits DAK? (Either in that the California version will not have FOP but will have a brand new ride that can be cloned/adapted for the expansion pad for DAKs Pandora or if it does have FOP, they will create a new film (which Cameron has been talking about wanting to add) and put that in DAK as well?

Either way, if the Cali version is a completely new design, I'm curious how well will developed it will be without Rohde behind the wheel... Rohde and Cameron really seemed to have a common vision for what the story Pandora was trying to be and I feel it was really well pulled off...

PiratesMansion

If/when this comes to California, what do you think are the odds that it also benefits DAK? (Either in that the California version will not have FOP but will have a brand new ride that can be cloned/adapted for the expansion pad for DAKs Pandora or if it does have FOP, they will create a new film (which Cameron has been talking about wanting to add) and put that in DAK as well?

Either way, if the Cali version is a completely new design, I'm curious how well will developed it will be without Rohde behind the wheel... Rohde and Cameron really seemed to have a common vision for what the story Pandora was trying to be and I feel it was really well pulled off...
Given that DAK is likely due to get the next expansion among the WDW second gates, I'd imagine anything successful at DCA as part of an Avatar expansion would stand a decent chance of being brought over to Florida.

Whether or not it would fit, or be done to the level that Rohde would have desired, is a more open question.
It’s official. It’s a mega E ticket boat ride. Shangai Pirates ride system
Perfect. We can level 90% of Hollywoodland immediately.

MistaDee

Web Slingers is at Walt Disney Studios Park too. I'm hoping the Multiverse attraction is still on the cards for DCA
^ This is a great point, yet another duplicated experience; although, I do think cloning rides between the US, European and Asian markets is far more reasonable than clones within those markets.

Well then if we're being honest RSR should be in the "Technically Exclusive" column as its just a clone of Test Track with better theming.

These two quotes seem to not understand what "cloning" truly entails. There's a big difference between re-using a ride system/layout as we've seen done with Indiana Jones vs Dinosaur, or Tower of Terror vs. Mission: Breakout, and straight up cloning the entire experience, from ride system down to story and themeing.

Personally, I think the former is perfectly reasonable, and if we do indeed get a Shanghai pirates system with an Avatar theme that would be great! The latter however is a big turnoff, and I sincerely hope we don't have Flight of Passage in the same park as Soarin.

mickEblu

Ive been manifesting an E ticket boat ride (a few times even referencing the Shanghai ride system) for the Hollywood backlot/ expansion area for years. I'd go look for all the old quotes but I don't feel like it. It would be great to see it come to life. It would be the right spot for a huge show building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom