I'm not going to renew my annual pass, how about you?

roj2323

Original Poster
I've been a Disney fan for a long time, worked as a cast member for a few years too, but the magic seems to be gone. For me this is mostly due to the prices. Today I went looking at annual pass prices (I'm a Florida resident) and it's gotten a bit absurd. Disney's Annual Pass is now $1449 a year for a pass with no Blackout dates.

Busch Gardens Platinum pass (includes parking and no Blackout dates) which includes sea world, 9 other parks across the US and their water parks is $399

Universal Orlando Premier pass (includes Valet parking, no Blackout dates and a ticket to horror nights ) is $790

This means for the price of one Disney Annual pass, I'll have access to Universal studios, Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens, Sea World, 9 other parks across the US and a few water parks and I'm still saving $260.

Am I missing something here or has Disney just lost focus

JoeCamel

I've been a Disney fan for a long time, worked as a cast member for a few years too, but the magic seems to be gone. For me this is mostly due to the prices. Today I went looking at annual pass prices (I'm a Florida resident) and it's gotten a bit absurd. Disney's Annual Pass is now $1449 a year for a pass with no Blackout dates.

Busch Gardens Platinum pass (includes parking and no Blackout dates) which includes sea world, 9 other parks across the US and their water parks is $399

Universal Orlando Premier pass (includes Valet parking, no Blackout dates and a ticket to horror nights ) is $790

This means for the price of one Disney Annual pass, I'll have access to Universal studios, Islands of Adventure, Busch Gardens, Sea World, 9 other parks across the US and a few water parks and I'm still saving $260.

No I'm not going to be renewing a Dis pass anytime soon

Check the signature, I made the value decision long ago

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Legoland's top pass is about $199 around Black Friday.

Every park is going to price according to what they can get away with. None are looking out for guests with low prices and all would charge $1k if they could get away with it. Disney's done a better job convincing enough people that it's worth it. I'm out of state and find enough value in a sorcerer pass.

I also don't really see much value in a Florida resident buying an incredipass pass over a pirate or pixie.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

I will not be renewing and it's not even about the money. The experience just isn't good enough right now.

I can also buy it anytime and save the "10% by renewing today" as long as I renew it 10% of the year later on my next trip.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I considered buying back into it, but it looked like things that used to be included are now add ons and it made the price comparable to just buying park tickets. So we’re just going to do that option.

AndyS2992

Whilst I don't have an annual pass, I've been a day one Disney+ subscriber however they've upped the prices again and I won't be renewing when my year ends in two weeks.
2020: £49.99
2021: £59.99
2022: £79.99
2023: £79.99
2024: £109.99
I don't really use it that much to justify the price, plus I'm learning to drive, just got a car, looking to move, big trip to California coming up, need to save as much money as I can right now 🙈

Tony the Tigger

Yes, you’re missing the FL resident Pixie pass which can’t be beat. Leave the weekends to the tourists.

I’ve never renewed an annual pass. We buy one every other year. Our current one runs out in May, but we’ll probably do a Halloween or Christmas party until we buy the next passes. No biggie.

roj2323

Original Poster
Yes, you’re missing the FL resident Pixie pass which can’t be beat. Leave the weekends to the tourists.

I’ve never renewed an annual pass. We buy one every other year. Our current one runs out in May, but we’ll probably do a Halloween or Christmas party until we buy the next passes. No biggie.
Pixie pass has a ton of blackout dates which would affect my ability to use it due to the chaotic nature of my job.

roj2323

Original Poster
The experience just isn't good enough right now.
I will say that's gotten a heck of a lot more difficult to enjoy the parks in the past few years. The elimination of fastpass, Snack food costs getting obnoxious ($8.25 for a pretzel for example), the park reservation system, lackluster experiences on some of the new attractions, the ridiculous elimination of standby cues for new rides among other things are all contributing factors.

Chef Mickey

I will say that's gotten a heck of a lot more difficult to enjoy the parks in the past few years. The elimination of fastpass, Snack food costs getting obnoxious ($8.25 for a pretzel for example), the park reservation system, lackluster experiences on some of the new attractions, the ridiculous elimination of standby cues for new rides among other things are all contributing factors.
Agree on all your points. The beating that is going to the park is not worth the outcome. I used to like going to ride 4-5 things and just leave, but the new reservation system makes it all but impossible. I'm not paying $10 to ride Space Mountain. I just want to ride it.

Mark Dunne

I think Mr Iger's reputation has been tarnished for this second term, he hasn't rolled back anything i can see to help anyone ( don't even go there with the water park free day on arrival offer ) and that's the point isn't it, everything has gone up so much, food, tickets, merch, Remember the words, ''to all that come to this happy place , welcome'', that's a far cry for what we have today, the speech today would be, ''to all that try and afford to come to this happy place, good luck''. :(

JIMINYCR

Disneys going to charge what they can despite your leaving and some others following suit. Enough people will still buy into the Annual Pass and work around any black out dates to keep the cost where it is. The other parks plans are cheaper and just because they are giving a better price doesnt entitle Disney to match their price. As long as the sales continue, Dis will not lower costs. So go ahead and leave Disney for the others and hopefully youll find enough to have an enjoyable year.

Smugpugmug

I don't plan on renewing next year since I'd rather use the money that goes into an annual pass for tickets to Epic Universe. I also have other tentative vacation plans that don't involve Disney in 2025; Turkey in April-May and maybe Italy for Thanksgiving.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
The price isn’t an accident. Remember “undesirables”? It was dumb to say it and even dumber to say it out loud in a public forum, but that’s why annual passes are so expensive. They want to thin the herd.
That was Disneyland where the larger local population is culture has more Disney loyalty, Disney is is only selling two parks, and competition is farther away. It's different in Florida where they need to fill four parks and where locals are comparatively not as "loyal."

And yeah, Disney would love to thin the crowd and make more money overall. Guest satisfaction decreases when crowds increase and unhappy guests don't open wallets as easily. To keep prices low risks overcrowding parks even more. This would push crowds to park capacities and if that happens then Disney would need some sort of reservation system, and we know how well that would go over.

NickMaio

This virtual group nonsense only forces people to pay extra to ride 1 ride......
Why is guardians still using this........?

To gouge us......

I loathe it.......if you want to wait 4 plus hours to ride something new....why not....it used to be your choice

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Locals??

does that mean those in the general Orlando/Central Florida area?

is St Pete/Tampa local?

Miami/ Tallahassee and all of Florida local?

Definition can be kind of open somewhat. I consider myself a local. But I'm an hour forty-five away.
So, I'm local to the extent I can go spend a full day at any park or resort (Disney or otherwise) with very little preparation and be home in time for a late dinner.

I very rarely do that anymore, preferring to stay at least a couple of nights but that's just me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom