Rumors. Musings. Casual.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Has the fuse been lit yet on ticket deals? :D I think that's one of the signs of true panic within TDO and Burbank.

I know. Well wishes to you btw.

I’m just in that moment where I am just talking to people and engage. Check in on the old site. See what ppl with different views have to say.

Cause I got stuff to do and when I log out I won’t be back until I feel like it. 😂
And to you as well. :) I miss the days of the "old guard", when WDI lips were a bit looser and there were plenty of posters you could trust.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m glad some things haven’t changed. 😄
Since the dawn of the internet…

You can tell who has a clue

You can tell who is young and overzealous about “the company”

You can tell who puts their entire soul in the next trip 487 days from now - one assumes because it’s compensating for life absolutely sucking at home outside Cleveland…

Que sera

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
That’s really where ppl like Peltz and myself are on outside looking in with amazement. How were things allowed to get this mismanaged? This shouldn’t be possible at Disney.

How?

Bob and Bob.jpg

One more than the other (cough*SweateredWeasel*cough), but both had a hand in it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
View attachment 766089

I looked this up after I posted. It’s gonna be about $8 billion when Hulu is done. Hulu is gonna hurt. And the cash left ain’t gonna go far if they keep burning it. And they will. This place is incompetent from top to bottom. Institutional knowledge has fled the company. Even most people who knew how it was run in the 90s have split.
This.

All of this.

So much of this.

And their new hires are people with lots of style but little substance.

Seems to be a trend across corporate America.

Quoting for posterity. And truth. So much knowledge and "it" is gone. Rohde may have been the last one.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I miss the days of the "old guard", when WDI lips were a bit looser and there were plenty of posters you could trust.
The only reason I’m able to get the information I get is because these people are actual friends of mine who know I am purposefully vague on sources and specifics.

And everybody’s lips are loose at a brewery 😂

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The only reason I’m able to get the information I get is because these people are actual friends of mine who know I am purposefully vague on sources and specifics.

And everybody’s lips are loose at a brewery 😂

When I see you backing something, I know it's legit. Being vague is the best way to ensure trust.

Now we need a reappearance by Lee and things will be right with the universe for a little while. 😂

pheneix

Original Poster
Chapek was complicated. I disagreed with every theme park decision he made.

But his background… old school latch key kid who went on Disney family trips every year? I dunno. I don’t think this is a person who wanted to destroy the place he loved growing up. I gotta find the similar, he even said he made decisions he disagreed with because it was best for business. A very interesting thing to say.
How?

View attachment 766090

One more than the other (cough*SweateredWeasel*cough), but both had a hand in it.

Willmark

That’s really where ppl like Peltz and myself are on outside looking in with amazement. How were things allowed to get this mismanaged? This shouldn’t be possible at Disney.
I would imagine that given their direction over the last few years (trying to be delicate here with other posters and the mods) they have to be aware of just how incensed a portion of their fan base is? Whether its swearing off Disney completely, still reeling from Star Wars (and burning 4 billion on it), 1 billion in total losses on movies last year, fall out, "other topics," etc.

A case of not caring? Realizing the problem hence why Bob came back but too late or nearly so? Truly interested in your take.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Chapek was complicated. I disagreed with every theme park decision he made.

But his background… old school latch key kid who went on Disney family trips every year? I dunno. I don’t think this is a person who wanted to destroy the place he loved growing up. I gotta find the similar, he even said he made decisions he disagreed with because it was best for business. A very interesting thing to say.

Destroy? No. Milk it for all it was worth, regardless of what the fallout could be? I'd have to say, "yes".

pheneix

Original Poster
Here is a key thing that I really have been proven wrong on over the years. Disney successfully replaced us with a new generation of lifer fans. They believe in it. They spend big on it. That’s their audience. They don’t care about most of the stuff we do.

And this is the way Iger wants it to be. He is a True Believer in what he wants Disney to be. And he is making obvious bad decisions because he won’t change.

I think he’s fully gone nuts.
I would imagine that given their direction over the last few years (trying to be delicate here with other posters and the mods) they have to be aware of just how incensed a portion of their fan base is? Whether its swearing off Disney completely, still reeling from Star Wars (and burning 4 billion on it), 1 billion in total losses on movies last year, fall out, "other topics," etc.

A case of not caring? Realizing the problem hence why Bob came back but too late or nearly so? Truly interested in your take.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
It’s not like I’m here to get into the “I’m right and you’re wrong nonsense.” I don’t care. And I didn’t read a single thread before posting by the way. I just did it. Kinda interested in poking the bears.

But there’s stuff going on where I can occasionally throw some nuggets that will be worth reading. And they will appear. I offer very little else. Long form posts are a thing of the past.
Oh no, trust me we know there’s stuff going on and it’s not magical

Thanks for sharing more info

pheneix

Original Poster
One can also point out, that Disneys got a very successful caked in life audience and they are very successfully obtaining high margins from. Also their rides are crumbling again.

And that leads to other perspectives where we know even Disneys current business model is hitting maturity in theme parks.

20 years ago they were sure the theme park business had matured. They didn’t need to invest. Potter proved them wrong.

I think now, that theme parks are becoming hotter than ever. And Disneys current business model is actually mature now. They got a near term cash cow that’s getting by. But this new gen audience…. I’ll talk about it some later. Like Disney Adults.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Has the fuse been lit yet on ticket deals? :D I think that's one of the signs of true panie within TDO and Burbank.

I think that’s the last line of defense they are very deliberately avoiding. Because it’s what would really scream they’ve overshot their price ceiling.

They can splain away empty rooms and some attendance declines…blame Covid…blame airlines…blame lacrosse camp…whatever…and sell it some to investors. But not ticket prices. That’s admitting that it isn’t people being fickle…they just don’t want to pay. That causes a panic because it makes the promise of “no price ceiling” to be an outright lie.
Which of course anyone over 12 could deduce anyway.
But we can’t say these things outloud.

And to you as well. :) I miss the days of the "old guard", when WDI lips were a bit looser and there were plenty of posters you could trust.

Amen…
A lot of those types were beaten away by owners trying to plug their crappy travel agency and/or financing their Club 33 purchase

doctornick

Here is a key thing that I really have been proven wrong on over the years. Disney successfully replaced us with a new generation of lifer fans. They believe in it. They spend big on it. That’s their audience. They don’t care about most of the stuff we do.

If you mean that they have replaced the "discerning" park fans with ones that want "more Disney" everywhere then absolutely yes that has happened.

But there has been IMHO a very clear loss of a chunk of the dedicated and loyal fan base in the last 2-3 years - and I'm talking those "we want Disney everywhere" folks. Park of that has been due to how the parks have been managed, among other things. But a part is, well, other things that we try not to talk about here but have definitely alienated a chunk of the fan base and gotten them to swear off Disney.

Willmark

And this is the way Iger wants it to be. He is a True Believer in what he wants Disney to be. And he is making obvious bad decisions because he won’t change.

Thanks.

I work in IT, seems Bob has gone with the IT saying of "PEBKAC" aka "Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair."

The obvious solution is to replace the user.

Related, its been (kinda) my hunch from years ago. Paraphrasing I think I said something to the effect of it terms of the park goers: "Disney doesn't want repeat customers at the parks, too many expectations. They want a family of four staying 7-10 days, maxed out tickets (now using LL and the other stuff) on premise eating there and no where else and then gone." That way Disney gets a reoccurring cash flow to the parks, just not the same ones and each generation provides the next wave of them.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If you mean that they have replaced the "discerning" park fans with ones that want "more Disney" everywhere then absolutely yes that has happened.

But there has been IMHO a very clear loss of a chunk of the dedicated and loyal fan base in the last 2-3 years - and I'm talking those "we want Disney everywhere" folks. Park of that has been due to how the parks have been managed, among other things. But a part is, well, other things that we try not to talk about here but have definitely alienated a chunk of the fan base and gotten them to swear off Disney.

I don’t disagree with either of you…but I think the new batch is a less stable crop for the longterm.

It’s just a matter of money and attention. The younger generations are declining in relative wealth from their parents and grandparents…they have less spending power…which means their numbers will dwindle.

Disney needs mass numbers…so that’s an irresistible force meeting an immovable object.

I felt like I’ve mentioned this once or twice before? 🤔

Last edited:

pheneix

Original Poster
I don’t disagree with either of you…but I think the new batch is a less stable crop for the longterm.

It’s just a matter of money and attention. The younger generations are declining in relative wealth form their parents and grandparents…they have less spending power…which means their numbers will dwindle.

Disney needs mass numbers…so that’s an irresistible force meeting an immovable object.

It’s just a matter of money and attention. The younger generations are declining in relative wealth form their parents and grandparents…they have less spending power…which means their numbers will dwindle.

Yes. This. Current Gen lifers are obsessed with Disney. Money is a currency for clout. How can this go wrong?

Willmark

I think that’s the last line of defense they are very deliberately avoiding. Because it’s what would really scream they’ve overshot their price ceiling.

They can splain away empty rooms and some attendance declines…blame Covid…blame airlines…blame lacrosse camp…whatever…and sell it some to investors. But not ticket prices. That’s admitting that it isn’t people being fickle…they just don’t want to pay. That causes a panic because it makes the promise of “no price ceiling” to be an outright lie.
Which of course anyone over 12 could deduce anyway.
But we can’t say these things outloud.

Amen…
A lot of those types were beaten away by owners trying to plug their crappy travel agency and/or financing their Club 33 purchase
Exactly.

We also have a thread via a travel agent on the site pointing out that since late summer/early fall Disney has been facing some ahem "headwinds" with bookings. We were told we were out of our minds.

Now this.

Add in a billion dollar loss in the movie division?

Add in yet more acquisitions?

Add in a at least right now, iffy movie lineup for 2024?

Add in a fractured fan base?

Add in no Marvel or SW movie "must see" this year? (I have no idea how Dead Pool 3 will do mind you)

Add in Pixar being a shade of its former self?

I'm not a betting man and I'm not going to count Disney out just yet but the signs are looking too good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom