Warning! Animators Might Go On Strike Next Year

TsWade2

Original Poster
Hi,
I really hate to post this and I hope this will not happen, but according to this article from the former CEO of Dreamworks Jeffrey Katzenberg ( The Murderer of Hand Drawn Animation) says since the writers and actors ended their strike not too long ago, it's possible that the animators might go on strike next year: https://collider.com/animation-industry-ai-jeffrey-katzenberg-comments/#:~:text=The Animation Guild Could Strike Next Year Over AI&text=The AMPTP, along with leaders,strike is on the horizon. My guess it's either the animators and animation is treated unfairly or the fear that animators might be replaced by the gosh awful A.I. that almost replaced actors and writers. This animation strike might happen, unless, if the AMPTP, Bob Iger, and other CEOs are that smart, they need to learn their mistakes from the writers and actors strike and make a fair deal with the animators....in the right way! So, as much as I hope this will not happen because the actors and writers strike is bad enough, but I'm afraid we must be prepared.☹️🥺

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Hi,
I really hate to post this and I hope this will not happen, but according this article from the former CEO of Dreamworks Jeffrey Katzenberg ( The Murderer of Hand Drawn Animation) says since the writers and actors ended their strike not too long ago, it's possible that the animators might go on strike next year: https://collider.com/animation-industry-ai-jeffrey-katzenberg-comments/#:~:text=The Animation Guild Could Strike Next Year Over AI&text=The AMPTP, along with leaders,strike is on the horizon. My guess it's either the animators and animation is treated unfairly or the fear that animators might be replaced by the gosh awful A.I. that almost replaced actors and writers. This animation strike might happen, unless, if the AMPTP, Bob Iger, and other CEOs are that smart, they need to learn their mistakes from the writers and actors strike and make a fair deal with the animators....in the right way! So, as much as I hope this will not happen because the actors and writers strike is bad enough, but I'm afraid we must be prepared.☹️🥺
If the animators feel they need to strike they should do so.

For every animated film Disney does not make, that’s another 100 million they won’t lose. ;)

Seriously, if the worst happens, I do not think they will use AI, I think they will go outside the US, like Japan and have content made for a fraction of the cost and probably make money on movies for a change.

wtyy21

Hi,
I really hate to post this and I hope this will not happen, but according this article from the former CEO of Dreamworks Jeffrey Katzenberg ( The Murderer of Hand Drawn Animation) says since the writers and actors ended their strike not too long ago, it's possible that the animators might go on strike next year: https://collider.com/animation-industry-ai-jeffrey-katzenberg-comments/#:~:text=The Animation Guild Could Strike Next Year Over AI&text=The AMPTP, along with leaders,strike is on the horizon. My guess it's either the animators and animation is treated unfairly or the fear that animators might be replaced by the gosh awful A.I. that almost replaced actors and writers. This animation strike might happen, unless, if the AMPTP, Bob Iger, and other CEOs are that smart, they need to learn their mistakes from the writers and actors strike and make a fair deal with the animators....in the right way! So, as much as I hope this will not happen because the actors and writers strike is bad enough, but I'm afraid we must be prepared.☹️🥺
Honestly i think not only animators that may going to strike if the deal gets unfair, here's Teamsters and IATSE (a much larger union where animators belong and also included 13 locals) had their contract expired in 2024. IATSE deal that signed in 2021 didn't much make the unions happy.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly i think not only animators that may going to strike if the deal gets unfair, here's Teamsters and IATSE (a much larger union where animators belong and also included 13 locals) had their contract expired in 2024. IATSE deal that signed in 2021 didn't much make the unions happy.

As others have pointed out, leverage by the strikers is minimal as there are available substitutes both human and computational.

TsWade2

Original Poster
I’m beginning to feel that the animators going on strike might be likely, especially Warner Bros. Disney needs to stay out of it, unless if they have reason. Nonetheless, I don’t want another Hollywood strike, but it might happen.

TsWade2

Original Poster
If the animators go on strike, it’ll be the end of animation and Tiana series will be cancelled. The AMPTP better be smart about this and learn their mistakes from the actors and writers strike!

brb1006

If the animators go on strike, it’ll be the end of animation and Tiana series will be cancelled. The AMPTP better be smart about this and learn their mistakes from the actors and writers strike!
Aren't you overreacting a bit? You've been saying "Animation is Dead" since The Writers Strike from last year.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Aren't you overreacting a bit? You've been saying "Animation is Dead" since The Writers Strike from last year.
Sigh! I guess! I just don't want that to happen again! I mean, I agree that animation deserves justice, especially for Coyote VS Acme that stupid David Zaslav is cancelling it, but the AMPTP better be smart about this and give the animators a fair deal in the right way this time.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Good luck with the strike cause in a few years they won't need animators anymore:

Be Quiet GIF by Judge Judy

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom