News Disney testing smart speakers in guest rooms at Disney's Yacht and Beach Club

LittleBuford

I seriously don't think "waking it up" without meaning to will be a big issue?

I'm trying to think why we'd say Disney so often in our room. I can only come up with Disney Springs. I wouldn't say it in association with restaurants, we don't refer to the parks as "Disney's" Animal Kingdom. I double we'll be discussing Disney + all that much.

I'm truly curious to see how much we say it and see if we keep waking it up.
Again, you have to say "Hey, Disney" specifically. It would indeed be an issue is "Disney" alone could wake the machine.

LittleBuford

Eh, google talks to me if I just say google.
That's unfortunate. I've never used any such device, so I don't know how easily they wake. If simply saying "Disney" would be enough to activate the ones at WDW, I would consider that a problem.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I have to say "Hey Google" most of the time, a casual google won't wake it up for me.
I still am baffled that like a magic handcuff you can do all this on your phone and you really don't need Disney's devices?

dreday3

That's unfortunate. I've never used any such devices, so I don't know how easily they wake. If simply saying "Disney" would be enough to activate the ones at WDW, I would consider that a problem.

It doesn't happen all the time really, but it happened this morning when my husband was telling me that you have to say Hey Disney and like with google, if you just say google - which he did - it won't answer. But then google did answer him. 😂

We barely use it since we don't have a "smart" home. We ask about the weather, sometimes I ask what food to substitute in recipes, who an actor may be in a movie we're watching.
Definitely something we can live without. :)

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Alexa has a "Hey Santa" feature where "Santa" will reply to your question and I can confirm that no matter how many times I say "Santa" alone, my devices don't wake up... it's only when I specifically say "Hey Santa"... I would assume "Hey Disney" would be similar.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Alexa has a "Hey Santa" feature where "Santa" will reply to your question and I can confirm that no matter how many times I say "Santa" alone, my devices don't wake up... it's only when I specifically say "Hey Santa"... I would assume "Hey Disney" would be similar.
Do you have to select that option ?

Phil12

I have no problem with Disney knowing the intimate details of my activities. All the better for them to serve me and make my stay more memorable.

Disstevefan1

When I am in the room, I am going to say to the Disney smart speaker,

"Today was fun but I am really looking forward to going to Universal! Universal's attractions are much better than WDW, Universal prices are better, there workers are better, Universal food is better, Universal ticket prices are less, Universal hotels are better and less expensive, there is more to do at Universal, the wait times are lower at Universal, there is NO park pass reservation needed, there is no Genie+ to deal with, the two Universal parks are walking distance between each other, City Walk is better than Disney springs, the parking garage is better at Universal, Universal garage has moving sidewalks. I am really looking forward to going to Universal!"

Then the Disney smart speaker will burst into flames 🤣

TinkerBelle8878

Are these speakers plug in or battery operated? I have no interest in having one listen to me at home so I have even less interest in having one in my room on vacation which I'm already paying a great deal for. If battery operated, can we just remove the battery to halt it? I really don't like the sound of this thing being put in my room as a 'plus' and having to order more towels with it. It seems even less reliable than calling Mousekeeping directly for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom