Trip Report Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

It was the night before our Disney trip and I found myself scrambling. So much to do besides "Disney but "Disney" needed to get done. Where are my SD cards? Where are all my Star Wars shirts? Where is my camera bag? We had just moved after-all and things were not where they should be because well we were in a different house. Toni was scrambling too. She is spending the Summer waitressing in Bethany Beach Delaware and came home THAT DAY to get everything ready for Disney. Her Mom however also wanted her to help get her "crap" ready for college (leaving in a few weeks). Tensions were running high and the early morning flight out of Baltimore was like lighting a fuse to a stick of dynamite. Time was ticking away!

This was going to be a different trip for us. Just three of the five in the family as my wife Val decided to sit this one out and my daughter Alex couldn't get her schedule to work. So Val will be going to New Mexico to visit Alex in a month as the final three, the triumvirate headed to Walt Disney World to meet up with my sister Marina's family and my mom (Yia-Yia).

The Triumvirate -

Toni (center), Sterg and yours truly.

02C3CEDA-3111-4115-81A1-F2FA108D0ED4-X3.jpg

As you may or may not know, one of the things I love about going to Disney is honing my photography skills. For this trip I decided to rent two fantastic (and expensive) lenses. The Sony GM 50mm f/ 1.2 and the Sony GM 14mm f/1.8 lenses to be exact. The cost to buy both of those lenses would be as much as the cost of the entire trip. Additionally I rented a lens adaptor to pair with my old Minolta 70-210 "beercan" lens that I wanted to try out on the Safari.

PXL_20220714_163312867-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163122685-X2.jpg

PXL_20220714_163209308.MOTION-02.ORIGINAL-X2.jpg

I've been crazy after the 14mm lens due to it's wide angle nature. It's actually so wide it's referred to as an "ultra-wide angle" lens. Wide angle lenses have wonderful applications at WDW and I was going to see how this baby was going to work for me. The 50mm 1.2 is a lens with a great reputation. Very fast, very sharp and producing beautiful bokeh as your sharp subject stands in front of a background that literally melts into a dreamy blur of photographic delight.

By 11pm all that was packed, what was left of my Star Wars shirts was packed - "Chris, aren't we just getting a bit too old for Star Wars shirts?" Val quipped - and everything else on my list was packed.

Toni was also packed and had full-filled her "getting ready for college" obligations.

Val said her goodbyes and goodnights..
giphy.gif
and went to bed.

It was soon time for me to lay down for 3 hours of sleep. The hardest thing left for me to do was wake up with my alarm. I think I'll have a glass on wine (or two?). After-all, what could go wrong?

Last edited:

slipperalwaysfits

At the airport. Somehow we made it. I slept through my alarm but Toni woke me up 5 minutes before we needed to leave!
I'm so glad Toni didn't let you sleep too long and miss your flight! Your kids' commentary is hilarious and your pictures are fantastic! Enjoy your time in DE and I look forward to continue reading...
Late to the party with my page 4 entrance but following along and loving it so far. I am with you 100% on the Wall, Freeze, Beaver problems. My absolute favorite are the people that Beaver at the top or bottom of an escalator where the people behind literally have nowhere else to go.

Also, GO PHILLIES!
Regular Season Sport GIF by MLB

You are "spot-on" describing these people! It's hard to get around all these people but the Beaver people currently drive me the most crazy! We really, really try to wait until we are out of the exit's way to make a decision.

fractal

Original Poster
Where did I lead my two demanding children on our first day? There are clues in my post.

Sorry @Billy6 - not the Frozen show.

But we still managed to stay somewhat in the same theme. George Lucas theme to be exact.

The last time I saw Indian Jones Epic Stuntshow was with Yia-Yia in 2013. The last time the kids saw it they were very young so this would be new to them in a way.

At first there was a protest, especially from Toni. It reminded me of our 2011 trip when we told her we were going to watch Fantasmic instead of going on Tower of Terror for the 5th time. She stomped her feet and threw a fit then but eventually fell in line and loved the show. This time 11 years later she was much more mature about her dissent and before long we were in the standby line.

DSC00144-X3.jpg

Our seats were surprising good - right side about 20 rows up.

DSC00147-X3.jpg

I then swapped out the 14mm for the 50mm. I was upset with myself for not bringing my 85mm but such is life.

Not really sure what Sterg was doing here.

DSC00148-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni asked a million questions and I could see anticipation was building.

Soon enough, Indy arrived.

DSC00149-X3.jpg

And dodged numerous booby-traps...

DSC00157-X3.jpg

Measuring things up.

DSC00161-X3.jpg

Run!

DSC00168-X3.jpg

After the opening scene, my children were hooked and on the edge of their seats.

Cairo scene was next.

DSC00170-X3.jpg

Then the plane scene which is pretty awesome.

DSC00173-X3.jpg

Get out Marion!

DSC00174-X3.jpg

DSC00181-X3.jpg

Can you hear the Indy theme song in your head?

DSC00185-X3.jpg

It was terrific to see this show was back and even more so to see how much Sterg and Toni enjoyed it!

DSC00192-X3.jpg

What's next Pops?

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Where did I lead my two demanding children on our first day? There are clues in my post.

Sorry @Billy6 - not the Frozen show.

But we still manage to stay somewhat in the same theme. George Lucas theme to be exact.

The last time I saw Indian Jones Epic Stuntshow was with Yia-Yia in 2013. The last time the kids saw it they were very young so this would be new to them in a way.

At first there was a protest, especially from Toni. It reminded me of our 2011 trip when we told her we were going to watch Fantasmic instead of going on Tower of Terror for the 5th time. She stomped her feet and threw a fit then but eventually fell in line and loved the show. This time 11 years later she was much more mature about her dissent and before long we were in the standby line.

DSC00144-X3.jpg

Our seat were surprising good - right side about 20 rows up.

DSC00147-X3.jpg

I then swapped out the 14mm for the 50mm. I was upset with myself for not bringing my 85mm but so is life.

Not really sure what Sterg was doing here.

DSC00148-X3.jpg

Sterg and Toni asked a million questions and I could see anticipation was building.

Soon enough, Indy arrived.

DSC00149-X3.jpg

And dodged numerous booby-traps...

DSC00157-X3.jpg

Measuring things up.

DSC00161-X3.jpg

Run!

DSC00168-X3.jpg

After the opening scene, my children were hooked and on the edge of their seats.

Cairo scene was next.

DSC00170-X3.jpg

Then the plane scene which is pretty awesome.

DSC00173-X3.jpg

Get out Marian!

DSC00174-X3.jpg

DSC00181-X3.jpg

Can you hear the Indy theme song in your head?

DSC00185-X3.jpg

It was terrific to see this show was back and even more so to see how much Sterg and Toni enjoyed it!

DSC00192-X3.jpg

What's next Pops?

Just wanted to let you know that I read this post while watching Indy & the Last Crusade. :) Great pictures of the show.

fractal

Original Poster
We checked on Star Tours and it was now back to a 20 minutes wait.

"How can it go from 15 minutes to 50minutes back down to 20 minutes?" Toni queried.

giphy.gif

Still staying in Lucas theme we circled back to Endor.

DSC00195-X3.jpg

Hello R2!

DSC00200-X3.jpg

and Threepio!

DSC00201-X3.jpg

DSC00205-X3.jpg

It was good to see C3PO being as neurotic as ever.

Toni posing by the light...

DSC00206-X3.jpg

And once again, the Star Wars TSA droids put on a great and hilarious show. As I've said in my last 4 or 5 reports; their shpeel is a must listen!

DSC00207-X3.jpg

DSC00210-X3.jpg

Getting ready for the show!

These smiles are 100% genuine!

DSC00215-X3.jpg

We were yucking it up in line. Talking about our previous times we went on Star Tours. The time we went on 5 times in a row, the time Val was the rebel spy. Lots of laughs while waiting for our next adventure.

DSC00217-X3.jpg

Looks like it was time to put the camera away.

DSC00219-X3.jpg

Our ride was great - a least a few scenes we never had before and just a fun time hopping from one death defying scene to the next.

It was all topped off by one of our favorite sayings in all of Walt Disney World...

Buh Bye! Which we repeated about 20 times after the ride.

BigDis

Late to the party but joining now. Great TR with great pictures and lots of humorous bantering. Thoroughly enjoying the report.

Can I add my biggest pet peeve to your list?..."The Pick My Own Seat and to Heck With You" people. Clearly they have heard the cast member announce to move all the way to the end of the row but they insist on parking their family right in the middle of the row so they have the seats they want. I don't mind this happening in COP where there are plenty of seats but when you have a standing room only crowd, people are forced to climb over them to get to an available seat. I've seen some families "accidentally" bump into those people they are climbing over to get to their seat...and I can only laugh and mumble to myself...if you would have moved down to the end of the row, you could have avoided the unnecessary bruises!

fractal

Original Poster
TF
Euhm cliffhanger? Where are you MARCHING towards? :jawdrop:

Just a tad bit excited here :D

Sorry to have kept you hanging!

Can’t agree more! The rooms are big and both sides offer great views.

How do they compare to the Riveria?

Too funny 😂 😂😂😂

👍

"Oh you'll both love it...Follow me!" I said and marched on.

my money is on the Frozen show....

giphy.gif

But I did enjoy listening to our musical recommendations this last weekend!

That was a great time.

Great family fun!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Here's my rule. You don't do any of the work of planning (or paying), you get no opinion!!

giphy.gif

Quite enjoying this TR! Too funny, the adult kids ribbing dad 😂

Thanks @Ghostdog !

and I've been such a good father...

giphy.gif

I think the pins come out today!

Yup, I always say that there's nothing like family input , to bolster your ego! :hilarious: :p

Lol! Yes, tremendous ego boost!

fractal

Original Poster
Love all the commentary from the kids. 🤣 Early travel days are tough so that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it!

That's what I said!

YES! This is exactly what I need to get back into the boards… Beautiful pictures, funny stories, and feeling like I’m walking right along with ya. Can’t wait to read more! :)

Happy to help! Thanks @belledream !

Yikes!! I'm page 5 late. Caught up now and following along.

Thanks @Plowboy !

You didn't ask @fractal jr to add his colorful content over the weekend? :p

I tried!

giphy.gif

I'm so glad Toni didn't let you sleep too long and miss your flight! Your kids' commentary is hilarious and your pictures are fantastic! Enjoy your time in DE and I look forward to continue reading...

You are "spot-on" describing these people! It's hard to get around all these people but the Beaver people currently drive me the most crazy! We really, really try to wait until we are out of the exit's way to make a decision.

Thanks @slipperalwaysfits ! Toni was the hero of the day!

Just wanted to let you know that I read this post while watching Indy & the Last Crusade. :) Great pictures of the show.

Great!

giphy.gif

Oh, how fun! The Indy show is on our list but somehow, we are always distracted by other shiny objects---like the Baseline brews... o_O 🤩

I'm guilty of that. In fact I was going to go there but it was so crowded!

Late to the party but joining now. Great TR with great pictures and lots of humorous bantering. Thoroughly enjoying the report.

Can I add my biggest pet peeve to your list?..."The Pick My Own Seat and to Heck With You" people. Clearly they have heard the cast member announce to move all the way to the end of the row but they insist on parking their family right in the middle of the row so they have the seats they want. I don't mind this happening in COP where there are plenty of seats but when you have a standing room only crowd, people are forced to climb over them to get to an available seat. I've seen some families "accidentally" bump into those people they are climbing over to get to their seat...and I can only laugh and mumble to myself...if you would have moved down to the end of the row, you could have avoided the unnecessary bruises!

Thanks @BigDis ! Yes, I would throw those people into a big pile labeled RUDE.

Yay for the Indy show!!! I haven't seen it in many years as well, and when you mentioned the theme song, it was perfect timing! I too am loving the commentary from the kids and the smiling photos!

Thanks @cgersic !

We were dodging crowds all day but still smiling!

giphy.gif

fractal

Original Poster
Mustafar was our next destination or so it seemed as the heat index was soaring over 100.

giphy.gif

We decided to head back to the resort, unpack and check out the grounds.

A few photos on the way out...

Toni's favorite restaurant but reservations were impossible to get this trip.

DSC00220-X3.jpg

I think I take a photo of this sign every trip.

DSC00223-X3.jpg

Sometimes more than one.

DSC00224-X3.jpg

Still haven't ridden the gondolas.

DSC00226-X3.jpg

Back at Gran Destino. It truly is a moderate with a deluxe feel...

DSC00379-X3.jpg

DSC00376-X3.jpg

I really struggled with the 14mm lens at DHS. I ended up deleting a lot of photos because I wasn't happy how I was composing my shots with such a wide angle. By the time we got back to the resort I was starting to adjust and getting the hang of it.

These lanterns were cool!

DSC00377-X3.jpg

Walking into the lobby...

DSC00378-X3.jpg

DSC00380-X3.jpg

The lower lobby is stunning!

DSC00382-X3.jpg

lindawdw

How fun that you got to see the Indy show after all these years and especially happy to see the kids smiling afterwards! Star Tours is such a classic for us that it is a must do every trip. The wait times for that ride are pretty erratic at times but it generally moves quickly. Coronado lobby and grounds are truly beautiful!

macefamily

I'm a climber. Once I see that family park in the middle of the row, I tramp my big fat feet right over them. I do not say 'excuse me.' I rumble right through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom