Top of the World Reopening Soon

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Well, better than it being closed. I don't know, do people really go that often that they use all their points the pay cash to go again? We don't t plan on going again for another 2 years, but I know some folks who go twice a year, sometimes twice a month!
We go at least 2 or 3 times a year on our points. If we decide on another trip, we stay at Shades of Green on cash, which would still make us eligible to visit the TOTWL. All of our points are direct.

Club Cooloholic

Just curious, but are they also upset about being locked out of the Moonlight Magic events?
As white card holder, I don't care about the moonlight events, because one, we would rarely be there when an event was happening, and no guarantee we could get a spot, and knew buying in that we wouldn't be allowed. This is a little different because it's one of those deals where they are taking something away that previously was included. It's not like they are even gradfathering in the rights like they did with booking limitations(can still book riviera for instance but a resale buyer today can't). Then again in the 5 years or so we have been members, we haven't been to the lounge, so this isn't something that's a big deal, more an annoyance.

correcaminos

Just curious, but are they also upset about being locked out of the Moonlight Magic events?
No. It's more of something they had but now do not.

Well, better than it being closed. I don't know, do people really go that often that they use all their points then pay cash to go again? We don't t plan on going again for another 2 years, but I know some folks who go twice a year, sometimes twice a month!
Given the number still upset about the 50% rule what do you think. ;) one of my friends moved to florida and goes all the time even just for a night or two. I've been twice this year so far. 2x last year.... would've been 3 if spring break hadn't been so questionable. Especially AP holders tend to just add quick trips. Cheaper to buy a room than add on.

There seem to be vast differences in types of DVC members. Some with minimal points and go every two to three years and then ones who go multiple times a year and all in between.

correcaminos

I’m confused. This is a Membership Extra for $160pp?

We’re staying at BLT in Nov but are resale members. I’m assuming no TOTWL for us.
No, the first two days are ticketed events that are $160. After it seems back to normal. If you do not get the DVC-Y or had a white card prior, it will be excluded from you unfortunately.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I’m confused. This is a Membership Extra for $160pp?

We’re staying at BLT in Nov but are resale members. I’m assuming no TOTWL for us.
The paid access is only for a few days prior to the official opening. No charge (yet) after that. Resale depends on when you bought in. If prior to 2016, you should be good. If after, then, sorry, but yes, you are locked out (for now).

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I think they're expecting pent-up demand and needing to send people away so limiting as a Membership Extra effectively is a first filter. I can see it rolled back eventually to again include white cards. Then again, it could do better business being more exclusive. Both blue and white card members feel the sense of "club" and the more limited something is the more "special" it feels for more people. People that feel more special are more willing to spend more money. Club 33 and Golden are the extreme examples of this. Maybe limiting gets more blue cards up to want to go up there and pushes a few more drink sales, but it will absolutely have some impact on direct sales. Pushing a blue card lounge is a useful differentiator especially when APs are not being sold.

Club Cooloholic

I think they're expecting pent-up demand and needing to send people away so limiting as a Membership Extra effectively is a first filter. I can see it rolled back eventually to again include white cards. Then again, it could do better business being more exclusive. Both blue and white card members feel the sense of "club" and the more limited something is the more "special" it feels for more people. People that feel more special are more willing to spend more money. Club 33 and Golden are the extreme examples of this. Maybe limiting gets more blue cards up to want to go up there and pushes a few more drink sales, but it will absolutely have some impact on direct sales. Pushing a blue card lounge is a useful differentiator especially when APs are not being sold.
Well all I know is last recession resale points were rock bottom, so will be curious how many buy direct at the current prices(not like they will go down), if economy suffers more. I can envision direct point buy deals being offered.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Well all I know is last recession resale points were rock bottom, so will be curious how many buy direct at the current prices(not like they will go down), if economy suffers more. I can envision direct point buy deals being offered.
They'll follow the Disney play book and just offer bigger incentives. There was part of the "early" pandemic in late Summer 2020 that they lowered Riviera to the lowest buy-in prices since 2015-2016ish, IIRC. That's when we added-on direct.

But yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on resales in the common year. If Poly prices drop enough on we may add on speculatively and hope the new Poly expansion is part of the existing association.

correcaminos

They'll follow the Disney play book and just offer bigger incentives. There was part of the "early" pandemic in late Summer 2020 that they lowered Riviera to the lowest buy-in prices since 2015-2016ish, IIRC. That's when we added-on direct.

But yeah, I'm going to keep an eye on resales in the common year. If Poly prices drop enough on we may add on speculatively and hope the new Poly expansion is part of the existing association.
I'm hoping Polynesian is an expansion as originally stated to DVC CMs too. Though I may be forced to add on directly because my add on amount I want would be small and a specific UY.

nickys

Premium Member
There can't be too many DVC members staying on cash anyway. Now what would be nice is of they at least let people staying at BLT, be they members or not have access to it
Our points don’t go far enough!

And because I’m risk averse, I don’t want to commit to renting extra points in case we have to cancel, so we extend our stay by paying cash - either through DVC if they have rooms available or direct.

nickys

Premium Member
It's surprising to me how many white card holders on a facebook group as upset by this. I'll be interested to watch what happens though. I am not a fan of current fireworks (wasn't really HEA either though) and decided I prefer watching from well outside the park so if they do change and charge for use, I won't care much. Others seem extremely upset.

Probably more than you think. Those who want another trip but out of points. I know many who book with AP or DVC discounts. I personally don't see the point in opening to all BLT visitors who aren't entitled to extras. I think that would cause even more people to be upset.
We have direct points so we will still have access. But we use TOTWL as a lounge when staying at BLT, not just in order to watch the fireworks. So I can understand people getting upset at being shut out, especially if they own at BLT.

correcaminos

Hoping you feel better soon.
Thanks! Just a lot going on at home - like our power company pulled our power duing 100 degree weather for two days instead of rolling while my spouse tested positive for covid (oddly picked it up in our "low" area and not Florida "high") so we couldn't even do cooling shelters among other stuff happening locally as well as me injuring myself stupidly a few times (get klutzy when brain is stressed). It will get better. Spouse is negative and we are as well. We can bust out in public Sunday with no restrictions.

CaptainAmerica

Read the posts prior. This was specifically for the idea that those staying at BLT regardless of discount status/extra perks should be granted. It had zero to do with what you stated.
The difference, to me at least, is that this is a bar with food and drink for purchase. It shouldn't be tied to status/perks/where you're staying, it should be tied to your willingness to go in there and spend money.

My beef on this isn't with Disney, it's with freeloader guests who rope drop the place to get in the door, and then order a single drink over the course of four hours, holding a table so that other people don't get to enjoy the space. These types of people are the reason Be Our Guest and Space 220 had to go prix fixe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom