Massive Jungle Cruise Wait Times

UNCgolf

If DAS loading is a major slowdown of capacity, couldn't they somehow build an off track area to load the feed into the ride. Kinda like the gondolas?

I'm not sure how much that would help, since the Jungle Cruise boats seat a lot of people (unlike the gondolas). It would just mean one less boat to load regular guests.

I also think adding something like that to the existing ride (and I'm not sure there's even anywhere to put it) might require actually closing the ride for part of the construction time.

Touchdown

I'm not sure how much that would help, since the Jungle Cruise boats seat a lot of people (unlike the gondolas). It would just mean one less boat to load regular guests.

I also think adding something like that to the existing ride (and I'm not sure there's even anywhere to put it) might require actually closing the ride for part of the construction time.
It works well on KS, they just backfill with normal guests. It would require closing to make it but I think it would greatly help.

correcaminos

If DAS loading is a major slowdown of capacity, couldn't they somehow build an off track area to load the feed into the ride. Kinda like the gondolas?
Again, DAS has nothing to do with physical disabilities. The slow loaders are in the HA area. There is no space to put a separate loading for HA though. Yes they take longer but they aren't all that frequent.

Purduevian

Again, DAS has nothing to do with physical disabilities. The slow loaders are in the HA area. There is no space to put a separate loading for HA though. Yes they take longer but they aren't all that frequent.
I would be fine with them taking out the tree house. Extend the JC loading area to load 2 boats at once and a separate spoke for those needing more time to load. Then give MK an actual good quick service location and add something like Bengal BBQ from Disneyland in the remaining space.

I would also be fine with them removing the carpets and pushing back the queue to improve the jungle cruise loading/unloading.

RSoxNo1

We counted Jungle Cruise processing around 770 guests per hour this morning in the MK. For reference, Disneyland's JC averages just under 900 guests/hour in our observations.

WDW can have 1 more boat in operation than DL, so MK's capacity should be somewhat higher than DL's. It's not, as of now.

In standing by the exit, we observed the following:
  • One boat seemed to be dedicated to training new skippers. It had a total of five passengers, all CMs.
  • We overheard one skipper telling another that they were scheduled for two mandatory 12-hour shifts this week
We're counting throughput again, and counting how many distinct boats are in operation. Initially, this sounds to me like a staffing issue and a maintenance issue at the same time.

ETA: In the past hour (1 pm to 2 pm Eastern) at Jungle Cruise: 885 guests with 7 boats running. There were at least 28 people on each boat. That works out to a cycle time (load,ride,unload) of around 13:20, I think.

Also, with just 7 of 9 boats on the water, the ride is running at no more than 78% of capacity.

ETA: @RSoxNo1, this is the follow-up to your request from earlier.
My understanding is that it rarely ever uses all boats. and 7 or 8 is more the norm.

Thanks for doing this. Also, I think as an additional service to the fan community you should update your photo on here to show off the glorious mane of hair you're currently rocking.

Ayla

The safari does it at AK. I don't know why something similar couldn't be done at JC.

UNCgolf

The safari does it at AK. I don't know why something similar couldn't be done at JC.

The Safari is a motor vehicle that just has to be pulled over to a side area, though. The JC boats would need new construction to create a separate loading area and I'm not sure they have anywhere they could even do that without a major change that might require closing the ride for several weeks.

It would probably help, but I don't think it would have a significant effect. Likely not enough of one to make it worth doing.

Purduevian

The Safari is a motor vehicle that just has to be pulled over to a side area, though. The JC boats would need new construction to create a separate loading area and I'm not sure they have anywhere they could even do that without a major change that might require closing the ride for several weeks.

It would probably help, but I don't think it would have a significant effect. Likely not enough of one to make it worth doing.
I think there is room to the east of the current unload station (on the way to the repair shed) where you could have a boat on a separate leg for loading slower guests. Alternatively you could probably put the unload station there and reconfigure the queue to dual load at both the current load and current unload.

lentesta

Premium Member
My understanding is that it rarely ever uses all boats. and 7 or 8 is more the norm.

Thanks for doing this. Also, I think as an additional service to the fan community you should update your photo on here to show off the glorious mane of hair you're currently rocking.

I've heard from skippers that 7 to 10 is the range.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

They could very easily install a chicane that would run another line to the unload area, then load another group right after a boat unloads, running two groups loading at one time. Just add a pen to hold the line short of the unload area so people could walk from the current load area to the unload.

Let me also say that if Jungle Cruise's maximum hourly capacity is around 1,000 guests, that it's a tremendous waste of space in Adventureland and should be replaced. (It should remain in Disneyland, obviously, as a classic.)
I don't get to DL very often, so I'd like WDW to keep it so I can continue to ride one of the classics. There's also the problem that replacement would presumably involve a year (or two or three?) of site prep for a new attraction than two or three or more years of constructing the new attraction. Better JC today than a hypothetical high-capacity ride opening way down the road some time.

J4546

my vote is for an all out indiana jones land, a modified lost expitiions land where the jungle cruise goes into and through the indy ride showbuilding, along with the train. Maybe even modify the INdy show at DHS and bring it over as well. You got a land with a major darkride, small well themed coaster, and a show, along with JC is better, that would be chill

Goofyernmost

Having gone to WDW many times since 1983, I have never seen Jungle Cruise without a huge line. Thank fastpass, Genie and LL for it at this point. That long standby line used to be the only line and even though it was long from the end of it to boarding was never over 45 minutes regardless of the length. It is one of the classics and unfortunately doesn't have a fast loading and unloading system, but has remained very popular.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom