End of August or early September 2022?...

I'm looking to book a 7 day trip to WDW somewhere at the end of August or early September 2022. I'm trying to avoid unfavorable variables as much as possible. I like the idea of first week in Sept., but is Labor Day a problem? Right after Labor Day? Tron and Guardians shouldn't give me any trouble, right? Weekends still good for touring the parks? I know things are more unpredictable these days, but please advise a very sporadic visitor to the best of your ability...

Raxel7851

We enjoy going mid-September and avoid the Labor Day period because it’s really crowded. The temps and humidity will still be there and there’s the possibility of a hurricane, but that’s a crapshoot really. The crowds don’t seem to be as bad, kids are in school and most people tend to take vacations Memorial Day-Labor Day.

Upvote 0

mtngirltravel

Last year we went the last week of August before Labor Day weekend. It was amazing! I don’t expect a repeat of that ever again though because the delta variant was surging, masks still required indoors (which deterred people), and no international travel allowed yet. Couple that with kids going back to school for the first time in two years (in person, not remotely)…it was just the perfect recipe crowd wise. I’m not exaggerating when I say other than Rise, Slinky, Avatar and Dwarf Mine train, we literally went on every other ride in all the parks 6-10 times. And even those headliner rides were never over 30 minutes. Avatar was actually only 15 minutes once. Most rides were walk ons. They let us just stay on Thunder Mtn and go again, lol! We walked on Frozen, Everest and Tower of Terror three times in a row each. I don’t think it will be that way this time. Especially since international travelers (who always go the end of August since their kids start in Sept) had to replan their past trips and are finally getting to go now. I’m expecting a surge this year due to that. But I’m guessing even despite that, the increase won’t be too bad. It is hurricane season, crazy hot and American schools are back in session. Maybe you’ll see 15-30 waits on most rides? 45 minute-ish on the most popular ones (and if you go closer to close in the evening, the headliners will probably drop to 20-30 minutes) I think crowd wise, you can’t go wrong with the week before, or week after Labor Day weekend (I’ve been in September various dates throughout the month a handful of times as well) I think the two are so comparable it’s too hard to gauge which is lower crowd wise. Once they bring back free dining in September, crowds will pick up. Pick which date is just best for you and have a good time, you won’t regret either one. Just bring cooling towels or fans for your neck, along with a water bottle holder. The heat is worse than any crowd concerns, lol!

Upvote 0

Richie248

I usually go the week after Labor Day (or week before) and it's much more quiet than other periods. This year's crowds seem to have been all over the place and the parks have been busier. Not sure if the post-pandemic travel itch is slowing down. Like previous post, it's hot and humid and the threat of tropical weather is there. but pack some cooling clothes and sunscreen). The positives, (hopefully) lower crowds, Food and Wine at Epcot (try and go on a weekday to avoid the local weekend crowd), Guardians will be open (not sure about Tron, AND you'll be in Disney!

Upvote 0

jimbojones

Last year we went the last week of August before Labor Day weekend. It was amazing! I don’t expect a repeat of that ever again though because the delta variant was surging, masks still required indoors (which deterred people), and no international travel allowed yet. Couple that with kids going back to school for the first time in two years (in person, not remotely)…it was just the perfect recipe crowd wise. I’m not exaggerating when I say other than Rise, Slinky, Avatar and Dwarf Mine train, we literally went on every other ride in all the parks 6-10 times. And even those headliner rides were never over 30 minutes. Avatar was actually only 15 minutes once. Most rides were walk ons. They let us just stay on Thunder Mtn and go again, lol! We walked on Frozen, Everest and Tower of Terror three times in a row each. I don’t think it will be that way this time. Especially since international travelers (who always go the end of August since their kids start in Sept) had to replan their past trips and are finally getting to go now. I’m expecting a surge this year due to that. But I’m guessing even despite that, the increase won’t be too bad. It is hurricane season, crazy hot and American schools are back in session. Maybe you’ll see 15-30 waits on most rides? 45 minute-ish on the most popular ones (and if you go closer to close in the evening, the headliners will probably drop to 20-30 minutes) I think crowd wise, you can’t go wrong with the week before, or week after Labor Day weekend (I’ve been in September various dates throughout the month a handful of times as well) I think the two are so comparable it’s too hard to gauge which is lower crowd wise. Once they bring back free dining in September, crowds will pick up. Pick which date is just best for you and have a good time, you won’t regret either one. Just bring cooling towels or fans for your neck, along with a water bottle holder. The heat is worse than any crowd concerns, lol!
Last August was low due to the Covid surge I would not expect to see those types of crowds again. August 2021 crowd levels were like Fall 2001 crowds post 9/11. I am going this August and I anticipate "busy season" level crowds. August was our go to time to visit for years and even before COVID it was steadily getting busier, based on thw crowds over the past 6 months August 2022 is going to be packed, at least relatively speaking

Upvote 0

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Honestly, I would go mid Sept so you are there after Labor Day and all the kids are back in school. The crowds are definitely picking up. I've been every month since Dec and if it is any indication to what it will be like in August or Sept, I would say it will be close to pre-covid crowds if not at pre-covid.

Pam

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

We did a late August trip back in the day--nope, not doing that again. We had a love bug surge and that, combined with the humidity, was too much! I'd go as other's have recommended, after Labor Day when kids are back in school. Here in the PNW, the public schools don't even start until after Labor Day so there are plenty of families I know that still try to squeeze in last minute vacays to WDW befeore school starts and go late Aug.

Upvote 0

Raxel7851

September as long as the tropical storms arent constantly rolling in. Our Sept trips luckily for the most part have been fairly rainless. My August trips were humidly horrible and I'm staying away from that month as much as I can.
We’ve always had good weather during our Mid September trips. Like @JIMINYCR posted, just keep an advanced eye on the weather. We typically try to stay away Memorial Day to Labor Day. But to many families, that may be the optimum time for them get away.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Two things come to mind for late summer trips.
1. Heat/humidity will probably be excessive.
2. Hurricane season

I'm not saying don't go, but I think you need to be mindful and expect 100 degree temps, and 100% humidity, along with possible hurricanes/tropical storms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom