News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

dreamfinder912

Good for you! So you've gotten together with the other attendees--are you making your own storyline together? (Also, you have to pregame on the app to get the storyline you want? So there's homework?)
I have been kind of cagey with my backstory as of yet, I'm still smoothing it out and transitioning her from D&D to something that exists or at least could exist in Star Wars. There's no homework on the app, if you're a new user or the person you choose to RP as is the same alignments as you you just play that way and continue on as normal. But I've spent 2 years completing only first order and scoundrel missions on Batuu so my stats already slant that way. I want to go even them out a little so I can at least appear neutral while it suits my character to do so. The play app is 100% me reading waaaay into the story and trying to keep up a bit of continuity for myself. It's about honest, if overzealous storytelling on behalf of my character.
I'm legitimately torn on this. On the one hand, I really wish for this to be the experience hoping it to be. I am heartened by your excitement for this., sincerely.

On the other hand, I am very dismayed at the outrageous costs TWDC is expecting of its guests. It's clear they are moving more and more towards becoming a luxury experience, to the point where they are excluding all but the upper middle class (as a starting point!) from getting the full experience. As a lifelong Star Wars fan, I've found many of Disney's decisions baffling, to include this one. As TP2000 and others have intimated, it seems like a project done by someone with vague passing familiarity of Star Wars would envision an experience looking like.
Oh I get it completely. We won't be doing this one yearly or anything. But we got married in January of 2020 and never got to go on our honeymoon. It's stupid money we're just very fortunate we kept our jobs and just sat on rather than spend our Honeymoon money. It's something a lot of people would have to save a long time for, and I fully recognize how much of a slippery slope this could turn out to be for future Disney.
I'm not sure that's going to be possible. Based on the sample itineraries and a few other details, I think it's going to be a pretty structured experience overall. I have not gotten the impression that you will be free to wander around the Starcruiser and do whatever you want -- it looks more like your scheduled bridge time is 3:40-4 (just random numbers as an example), and other groups are scheduled for other activities during that time, so you're basically locked in to what's listed on the itinerary. I'm sure there will be some leeway, but considering all of those areas will require staffing, I'm guessing Disney will want to be able to shut them down and say guests can't access this area right now.

Of course we won't know for sure until it actually opens. That's one of the things I'm most curious about, though.
Oh very true of course but I just assume there will be wiggle room. I can see there being structure to when you can get into various activities, but I can't imagine there's regulation on people congregating in the atrium to RP/take 1000 photos/whatever. We'll see how it goes!

GimpYancIent

I have been kind of cagey with my backstory as of yet, I'm still smoothing it out and transitioning her from D&D to something that exists or at least could exist in Star Wars. There's no homework on the app, if you're a new user or the person you choose to RP as is the same alignments as you you just play that way and continue on as normal. But I've spent 2 years completing only first order and scoundrel missions on Batuu so my stats already slant that way. I want to go even them out a little so I can at least appear neutral while it suits my character to do so. The play app is 100% me reading waaaay into the story and trying to keep up a bit of continuity for myself. It's about honest, if overzealous storytelling on behalf of my character.

Oh I get it completely. We won't be doing this one yearly or anything. But we got married in January of 2020 and never got to go on our honeymoon. It's stupid money we're just very fortunate we kept our jobs and just sat on rather than spend our Honeymoon money. It's something a lot of people would have to save a long time for, and I fully recognize how much of a slippery slope this could turn out to be for future Disney.

Oh very true of course but I just assume there will be wiggle room. I can see there being structure to when you can get into various activities, but I can't imagine there's regulation on people congregating in the atrium to RP/take 1000 photos/whatever. We'll see how it goes!
1641949956338.png

durangojim

Maybe. But that kind of assumes that this is all on purpose. It's almost a conspiracy theory, which I generally discount immediately.

That said, when I first got up to speed on this topic a few weeks ago I peddled in conspiracy theory myself. 😕

After not thinking about this project for years, this crisis was mentioned over on the Disneyland side and I came here to check it out. I was awash in pre-opening PR videos that were so bad and so cringey and made the product look so stupid that I thought (and basically posted) "This has to be a joke. They must be doing this on purpose to fire up the fans and create a viral moment when they reveal the real hotel in a couple months."

Now that a few weeks have passed and I've wrapped my head around this thing, I've come to the sad conclusion that this really is the Galactic Starcruiser and this really is how they were going to market it to potential customers. Those weren't fake corny sets, they really are the hotel. Bob Chapek really did cut the band and the backup singers from the bar, and it really is just that one cringey "pop diva" as the sole entertainment. The smirky captain really is Kathleen Kennedy, and she really is wearing the old Superstar Limo costume.

There's no giant viral marketing April Fool's joke waiting in the wings.

In short, they really do appear to be this stupid. So any broader attempt at mass fan manipulation seems out of their reach as a skillset or talent they might have. It's apparently just a vaguely SciFi hotel that Chapek slashed the budget on with super cringey marketing from perky Imagineers and the lone "cool" exec wearing skinny jeans and a Covid mask.
It’s always Occam’s razor when it comes to Disney. Typically what you see is what you get and in this case what you get ain’t good.

MrPromey

I am not a fan of the Starcruiser but for the sake of this discussion, I think Staying in the Starcruiser to me, can be considered deluxe. Here's why:
1. The general public cannot get into the Starcruiser. Anyone can access the deluxe resorts, tour the resort, even checkout the rooms; you can't do that in the Starcruiser.
2. The general public cannot use the amenities of the Starcruiser. Again, the general public can take advantage of many of the amenities on a deluxe resort; lounges, restaurants, retail, counter service, and some activities the resort offers.
3. The amenities; food, activities etc. in the Starcruiser are ONLY accessible by folks staying in the Starcruiser.

You are absolutely right!

Another place comes to mind with similar restrictions - my home.

This got me thinking of a once in a lifetime opportunity for a select number of my WDW Magic "friends" and for me!

Here's what I'm going to offer:

For only $4k for two nights, as many people in your party as will physically fit, can stay in my son's bedroom which is conveniently Star Wars, Marvel Comic, Disney, Roblox, Minecraft and Nintendo themed!* If you are alone, you'll get to sleep in a red brand-licensed "Corvette" bed with working headlights, too!**

You'll enjoy a full bath and shower*** along with anything you want to get and prepare yourself from my kitchen - day or night!****

For our LARPing theme, it will be staying with disinterested home host who will try to avoid interaction at nearly all cost and who may or may not rummage through your stuff if you leave at any point during your stay.

Trust me when I say, I will be VERY convincing in my role!

Send me a direct message to find out about availability and to book your stay today for your once in a lifetime opportunity to enter.. (echo for effect) My Inner Sanctum!

I guarantee, I'll make registration easier than Disney or your full money back!*****

* Consider the value of all these additional themes on offer at NO additional charge!

** If there is more than one in your party and you cannot agree on who gets the car bed, the lucky person will be determined by a coin flip. In cases where there are more than two guests, multiple coin flips may take place.

*** Please note: there will be access to only one guest bathroom. Depending on the size of your party, certain bathroom needs and bath/shower times may need to be coordinated within your group to ensure availability of toilet and hot water.

**** Normal grocery days are Tuesday and Friday, excluding holidays. For best and freshest food options, please plan your stay, accordingly. Not a nut-free environment - or so I've been told.

***** Provided you cancel no less than 89 days prior to the start of your scheduled stay.

Last edited:

mlayton144

Curious .. just say you check in and shortly thereafter you decide “this just isn’t for me “, are you forced to stay aboard the star cruiser for the mandatory fun ? Is there even a front door you can exit from for an Uber or is locked with little chance of escape? Do they have to send a star cruiser bus to dispatch you back to the parking lot back on earth or would they dust off one of the unused trams for the sendoff ?

KrzyKtty

Curious .. just say you check in and shortly thereafter you decide “this just isn’t for me “, are you forced to stay aboard the star cruiser for the mandatory fun ? Is there even a front door you can exit from for an Uber or is locked with little chance of escape? Do they have to send a star cruiser bus to dispatch you back to the parking lot back on earth or would they dust off one of the unused trams for the sendoff ?
I'm sure they would just allow you to leave the way you came, But I'm not sure who would be willing to eat that sort of money and walk away. From what they have advertised before, you're not forced to take part in all of the act acting out if you don't want to. You can sit back and watch.

FettFan

If you make it to check-in, you’re already onboard with the entire concept and will psychologically justify the purchase.

Film Theory did a video on this phenomenon using the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

Cognitive Dissonance + Belief Perseverence = “It’s Good”

Last edited:

EPCOT-O.G.

If you make it to check-in, you’re already onboard with the entire concept and will psychologically justify the purchase.

Film Theory did a video on this phenomenon using the Snyder Cut of Justice League.

Cognitive Dissonance + Belief Perseverence = “It’s Good”

That movie has a 71% RT rating, so "it's good" (at the very least) is in line with independent reviewers as well (many of whom spent years goofing on the original as well as the attempts to have this version get released).

I think those that make it to the hotel are victims of the "sunk cost" fallacy.

Incomudro

There are certainly emergency exits one could use to run out screaming into the Florida sunlight.
If one weren't in a panic mode, I'm sure relations could "shuttle" you down to earth where an Uber can pick you up at the terminal entrance.
If one didn't have the patience to ride the shuttle back down, they may even let you use the cast members entrance/exit.
Or, you could always wait for the ride down to Batuu and exit into Hollywood Studios.
All of this seems extremely unlikely (outside of an emergency situation) for anyone willing to fork over this kind of money.

Disstevefan1

I am sure they have procedures in place because it's not a matter of if this happens, its a matter of when it happens.

Aside from the “this just isn’t for me “ folks, there WILL be fights break out on the cruiser because little Johnny did not get his turn and Dad gets involved.

kingdead

That's what I'm super curious about--whether they can handle guest-led storytelling or if this is more of a dinner theater experience. (Nothing terribly wrong with the latter, just that nobody pays $6k to see Tony n Tina's Wedding.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Another thought - if they stick to the 8:45-9:30 window for the ROTR visit, that is really going to clog up the morning waits for this ride for non-hotel guests.

I assume not everyone in the hotel will go at the same time, the 8:45-9:30 was just one sample itinerary. Unless they are running a lot of shuttles they would have a hard time getting everyone to GE at the same time anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom