Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

lazyboy97o

Bah. Just "make the standby lines crawl again, like they did with FP+" and that will fix all the problems, right?
It’s not just attraction capacity but also retail, dining and even just walkway capacity. All of which you need more of to service virtual queuers. You need less space and staff at a time to serve 10 people in the morning and 10 people in the afternoon versus trying to serve 20 people all day.

MrPromey

To me, thats the worst part of Genie+, no advanced booking....If im spending $1,000+ per night i want to know im going to get on the rides i want and not have it be a mad dash at 7am EVERY morning

We will never stay onsite again.......no need

*ETA: Almost every single benefit to staying onsite is gone.........30 minutes in the morning is not a benefit to us and my guess isn't a benefit to most (since only about 20% of people rope drop) and the Deluxe only thing is a complete joke
It's funny because Disney used to not provide a ton of resort-specific benefits to on-site guests. You had things like a variation on extra magic hours, e-ride nights (which were a cheap but paid add-on) "complementary" park transportation and things like the boat parade, depending on where you were staying. Back in those days when their room rates weren't as out of control as they are now and when they were more known for service than they are now, that was all they needed to compete with the local market.

Convenience and being close to the parks was always a part of it but people genuinely wanted to be on property because the "Disney difference" meant your stay would be special. The "bubble" was an all inclusive experience and not just a package of perks. The resorts felt different. You were treated different.

Then they created the lock-in with FP+ and Magical Express and thought they could let quality/service decline at existing resorts while putting less effort into the new ones all while raising prices because they'd created a situation where a lot of people felt like they "had" to have have it due to manufactured scarcity* when it came to attraction capacity in the parks.

So now they're ditching those tie-ins left and right to cut costs and raise margins and people are understandably angry.

There are now far nicer places to stay off-property for less money, some with their own unique experiences where they'll still treat you as a valued guest. Meanwhile, Disney puts on their rose colored glasses and apparently continues to see blue ocean in every direction.

They deliberately changed the guest patterns and expectations for what staying on property was, then, over the course of the last 12 months, pulled the rug out from under all that. People who bought into what Disney sold them was the reason to stay on property have every right to be angry about what they're doing these days.

I genuinely feel like all of this was intentional (the overcrowding, the cutting of benefits, the raising of prices, peeling back of "included" perks and selling them as add-ons) with the idea being that you may never get back to the way things were but if you're willing to pay enough extra, they're willing to up-sell you back some of what they've taken away.

It feels like this was all approved by someone who doesn't think guest satisfaction continues to play any major role in their profits.

It's clear the people in charge would never consider a Disney vacation for themselves and are entirely out of touch with the mindset of those who actually do pay to stay at their resorts and/or pay to go to their parks.

We complained around here (many) years ago when they moved to generic napkins and dropped resort-specific toiletries which to most today, would seem petty and we've continued to complain about plenty else since but I've seen more mainstream bad press in the last year than I've ever seen before.

I really feel like it's all starting to finally catch up with them.

*or in this case, scarcity that formed out of not manufacturing enough capacity to stay ahead of increased attendance.

Last edited:

DisneyDreamer08

Has anyone been successful “choosing” a time for LL attractions? My trip is at the end of January and I’m planning on purchasing G+ for my DHS day. I am going to rope drop Slinky (as a resort guest) but I would like to ride again at night when it’s dark. As long as I check continually right at 7am and moving forward from there, I should be able to grab like 5:30/6pm right? Has anyone done this?

Chi84

Premium Member
Has anyone been successful “choosing” a time for LL attractions? My trip is at the end of January and I’m planning on purchasing G+ for my DHS day. I am going to rope drop Slinky (as a resort guest) but I would like to ride again at night when it’s dark. As long as I check continually right at 7am and moving forward from there, I should be able to grab like 5:30/6pm right? Has anyone done this?
I have. It's possible, but Genie+ isn't really set up for that kind of scheduling so it's a lot of work. I bought Rise and then just kept checking back until I got a time fairly close to what I wanted and scheduled SDD. (I don't know how things are working now, but when I was trying the times were not consistently moving later - some earlier times would pop up too.) Then two hours after park opening I was able to get another LL.

MrPromey

I really have a lot of anger towards WDW for all the negative things they have done, especially genie+

I just feel stupid that it makes me this mad over a vacation destination but my family loves it there but they have ruined it
I think a lot of us can relate.

My nine year old son who knows nothing of costs or the logistics behind giving him an enjoyable day there keeps asking when we're going back and the truth is, I don't want to and if things continue like they are, I mean I don't want to, ever.

It was a lot easier to overlook the costs when I was having fun with him but with costs going up and visits becoming nothing but headaches and noticing things broken or missing for me, I see absolutely no up-side to any of it, anymore.

It makes me want to stop taking him to Disney Movies and to delete Disney+ off our TVs to remove things that remind him to ask about it.

Like you, I resent this company for putting me in that position (on multiple levels).

Last edited:

Jeff4272

I think a lot of us can relate.

My nine year old son who knows nothing of costs or the logistics behind giving him an enjoyable day there keeps asking when we're going back and the truth is, I don't want to and if things continue like they are, I mean I don't want to, ever.

It was a lot easier to overlook the costs when I was having fun with him but with costs going up and visits becoming nothing but headaches and noticing things broken or missing for me, I see absolutely no up-side to any of it, anymore.

It makes me want to stop taking him to Disney Movies and to delete Disney+ off our TVs to remove things that remind him to ask about it.

Like you, I resent this company for putting me in that position (on multiple levels).
I cancelled my Disney+.............

James Alucobond

This obviously isnt working
The example you posted from today of two core rides at EPCOT being down would be even more of a disaster with FP+ pre-booking. Everyone would be standing in line for hours at the guest relations kiosks rather than experiencing longer-than-normal waits at actual attractions. Regardless of your personal (or even majority) preference around which system results in more satisfaction, what actually isn't working is the poor park capacity, lack of staff, and merchandise shortage. They're just barely masking the problem even on good days.

Jeff4272

The example you posted from today of two core rides at EPCOT being down would be even more of a disaster with FP+ pre-booking. Everyone would be standing in line for hours at the guest relations kiosks rather than experiencing longer-than-normal waits at actual attractions. Regardless of your personal (or even majority) preference around which system results in more satisfaction, what actually isn't working is the poor park capacity, lack of staff, and merchandise shortage. They're just barely masking the problem even on good days.
Agree, but there's nothing they can do about that right now, they can change Genie+

James Alucobond

Agree, but there's nothing they can do about that right now, they can change Genie+
Genie+ is part of their strategy to obfuscate the current problem, though. I honestly don't think it's possible for them to go back to what you want and have it function well given all of the additional pressures on the system at the moment. There are of course tweaks to be made with regard to some of the frustrations people have voiced, but I don't think the re-introduction of pre-planning will be on the table at all until things have stabilized.

Casper Gutman

I really have a lot of anger towards WDW for all the negative things they have done, especially genie+

I just feel stupid that it makes me this mad over a vacation destination but my family loves it there but they have ruined it
Yesterday I had the strange realization that if Universal hadn’t massively improved in almost direct relation to how much Disney has declined, I would have stopped visiting Orlando regularly a decade ago and probably wouldn’t have been to a WDW park more then once in the last ten years. Universal kept me going to Disney (albeit much, much less then I once did)!

If you told me in 1995 what WDW and Universal would each become, I’d have thought you were insane.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom