News Return of the Walt Disney World tram fleet tracker

Wilkie

I’m really excited that we in the U.K. can now travel to the US. I was hoping that the trams might be up and running by the time we come over - but I now know this is not going to happen. We will need to be up at the crack of dawn to get parking spaces as near as possible to the park entrances. The first day or so will be easier because of the time difference between the U.K. and the USA - but after that …… We won’t be paying the best part of $50 every day for 14 days for the privilege of parking closer.

Nottamus

Now I know Epcot isn’t the worse parking lot here- but last night both sides of lot were packed to the gills, all the way to the street you come in on.

to me that says two things,

one is not only are they at 100% capacity now, but maybe even 110! (Seemed like it )

second, trams should def be in service now based on crowds. I know it’s cost cutting- just doesn’t add up. There’s plenty other cost Cutting things going on right now that would compensate for tram usage

times are strange

JoeCamel

Now I know Epcot isn’t the worse parking lot here- but last night both sides of lot were packed to the gills, all the way to the street you come in on.

to me that says two things,

one is not only are they at 100% capacity now, but maybe even 110! (Seemed like it )

second, trams should def be in service now based on crowds. I know it’s cost cutting- just doesn’t add up. There’s plenty other cost Cutting things going on right now that would compensate for tram usage

times are strange
Wine and Dine races

montyz81

I am willing to bet that Walt’s Plane will return run to service before the trams do. Seriously though, Is there any update on them coming back for XMAS week? That week is going to be a bear in terms of parking.

JoeCamel

I am willing to bet that Walt’s Plane will return run to service before the trams do. Seriously though, Is there any update on them coming back for XMAS week? That week is going to be a bear in terms of parking.
Everyone gets to attend the run disney event upon navigating their way to the TTC. Bob is determining if it can be changed to an upcharge.

IanDLBZF

More news coverage on lack of trams from earlier this week in an NPR article on "skimpflation":
NPR Skimpflation Article

"All is not so happy at the happiest place on Earth. The guests of the Magic Kingdom are restless. Despite reopening more than six months ago, Disney World and Disneyland have yet to restart their tram services to and from parking lots, forcing visitors to walk nearly a mile to enter and exit the parks. Some Disney fans are acting as though the company is a kind of greedy Cruella de Vil, willing to slaughter cute puppies and turn them into coats for a profit.

"Customer service is gone at Disney," says commenter James E. on Facebook. "It's all about maximizing profit now."

"They haven't brought back the trams because it's saving Disney money!" writes Daniel P. "Trams need to be driven by multiple drivers."

It's all about "GREED," says Harry Z. "It has nothing to do with COVID at this point."

A couple of weeks ago, amid mounting online fury over Disney's transportation issues, the company announced it was finally reopening its famous monorail system. But, the company said, its trams to and from parking lots will remain idle for the foreseeable future."
And it's NOT JUST Disney that's affected.

In fact, several hotels chains have been affected, as have restaurants, and even the airline industry.

peter11435

It did not seem they had any problem hiring tram drivers.
Trams should be back at this point. There’s really no excuse. But WDW requires over 25 times more employees than Dollywood. So it’s not exactly a fair comparison. WDW is absolutely struggling to find enough cast to support itself. But they are also making significant mistakes in the process.

Penny’s Dad

Trams should be back at this point. There’s really no excuse. But WDW requires over 25 times more employees than Dollywood. So it’s not exactly a fair comparison. WDW is absolutely struggling to find enough cast to support itself. But they are also making significant mistakes in the process.
That’s true but they apparently have not had a problem hiring enough cast members to collect the parking fees.

peter11435

That’s true but they apparently have not had a problem hiring enough cast members to collect the parking fees.
That relates to one of the mistakes I mentioned they are making. Priorities. Although technically the auto plaza doesn’t have enough cast either with not enough booths open and rarely booths double staffed.

Last edited:

SoFloMagic

That relates to one of the mistakes I mentioned they are making. Priorities. Although technically the auto plaza doesn’t have enough cast either with not enough booths open and rarely booths double staffed.
Absurd that they don't have express lanes by now that scan APs/magic bands for hotel guests and take contactless payment for others. Convert 3/4 of the booths to this and use those CMs to run trams.
Chapek could make the machine try to upsell APs to premium parking too.

JMcMahonEsq

It’s clear that Chapek despises hosting guests at his god forsaken money bleeding theme parks
Or what’s clear is that the trams are just a niche utilization for a small minority of guests visiting the park that it is very low on the priority of investing time, money, and labor resources to bring them back. Especially when those limited resources are better served being used for profit generating activities and services more guests use.

castlecake2.0

Or what’s clear is that the trams are just a niche utilization for a small minority of guests visiting the park that it is very low on the priority of investing time, money, and labor resources to bring them back. Especially when those limited resources are better served being used for profit generating activities and services more guests use.
Or that. While we’re at it let’s remove baby care centers, allergy friendly menus, wheelchair rentals, ASL interpreted shows, paper towel in bathrooms. Those are all just things used by a niche segment of annoying guests trying to destroy the company’s bottom line.

doctornick

Again, don’t tram operators have to have a Commercial Drivers License? It’s not as simple as reassigning CMs from another job.

Surely Disney could make this a priority and fix the issue if they had the desire. Not excusing them. But I’m under the impression that hiring folks with CDLs is current kinda tough.

VelocityRaptor

Again, don’t tram operators have to have a Commercial Drivers License? It’s not as simple as reassigning CMs from another job.

Surely Disney could make this a priority and fix the issue if they had the desire. Not excusing them. But I’m under the impression that hiring folks with CDLs is current kinda tough.
No, tram drivers do not require CDLs. College Program kids drive trams all the time. I did parking during my CP

Casper Gutman

Even if this were true, as Castle points out, not having them open would be scandalous. But the idea that the trams, the first Disney service a lot of guests encounter during a visit, is "niche" is absolutely mad - unless you think sore feet and a desire to take a break from endless walking is "niche." The trams are probably one of the least "niche," most "universal" services imaginable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom