News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

UNCgolf

My personal take? You are going to have a real hard time convincing me the ceo is intimately involved in the entertainment and experiences of a single division of a company this large. I'm sure he issues hire up edicts (just as iger did) as to we need this percentage of profits, etc., but I fully believe cuts and such are being sent down by the head of that division, not a micromanaging ceo.

I've mentioned this here multiple times, but most people don't really understand what a CEO actually does, especially for a large corporation. They can certainly take a bigger interest in a specific area if they want, but that's why there's a whole hierarchy. It's very rare for them to be involved in day to day operational decisions -- in fact, it's not even likely that D'Amaro was specifically involved in most of these parks decisions. It's more likely (this is a simple hypothetical for illustrative purposes) that Chapek told D'Amaro he wanted a 5% cut in parks spending, and then D'Amaro went to each resort head and told them they needed to cut some % of their spending to create an overall 5% cut, and then it filtered on down.

It's pretty unlikely that Chapek or D'Amaro instructed any kind of specific cuts to anything. That would generally be left up to people lower on the corporate ladder to hit the desired figures.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I've mentioned this here multiple times, but most people don't really understand what a CEO actually does, especially for a large corporation. They can certainly take a bigger interest in a specific area if they want, but that's why there's a whole hierarchy. It's very rare for them to be involved in day to day operational decisions -- in fact, it's not even likely that D'Amaro was specifically involved in most of these parks decisions. It's more likely (this is a simple hypothetical for illustrative purposes) that Chapek told D'Amaro he wanted a 5% cut in parks spending, and then D'Amaro went to each resort head and told them they needed to cut some % of their spending to create an overall 5% cut, and then it filtered on down.

It's pretty unlikely that Chapek or D'Amaro instructed any kind of specific cuts to anything. That would generally be left up to people lower on the food chain to hit specific numbers.
That's how the cookie crumbles. The soldiers follow and obey the direction and make it happen.

Disone

We
I'm not defending chapek, I'm saying the Josh love is laughable. He doesn't have the history? He's been in charge of parks for a year and a half. How many cuts have we seen? I'm making the case you need to pick a lane. Either the head of parks is responsible for the cuts and lessening of guest experiences, or the ceo is. Either chapek was responsible for all the cuts a few years back, or he's responsible now and took unfair blame for iger in the past.

My personal take? You are going to have a real hard time convincing me the ceo is intimately involved in the entertainment and experiences of a single division of a company this large. I'm sure he issues hire up edicts (just as iger did) as to we need this percentage of profits, etc., but I fully believe cuts and such are being sent down by the head of that division, not a micromanaging ceo.
We differ on our personal takeaways on this. When Bob was promoted to Igers position Josh was promoted to Bob's position. Since that time I have seen a change in Disney that is not limited to just parks and experiences.

When Bob chapek was in charge of parks and experiences I believe he was still influenced heavily by Bob Iger.

Since he is officially taking over the role from Bob Iger I have seen Chepaks known style take a grip on all aspects of the Walt Disney Company not jusr Disney parks and experiences.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

We

We differ on our personal takeaways on this. When Bob was promoted do I grease position Josh was promoted to Bob's position. Since that time I have seen a change in Disney that is not limited to just parks and experiences.

When Bob chapek was in charge of parks and experiences I believe he was still influenced heavily by Bob Iger.

Since he is officially taking over the role from Bob Iger I have seen Chepaks known style take a grip on all aspects of the Walt Disney Company not jusr Disney parks and experiences.
Lots of people in the company saying to themselves "It's what Bob would want" so they do it. I also believe there is a mandate that departments do 10% better year over year which drives some harsh decisions. Some managers are more creative than others and it shows.

Lilofan

Lots of people in the company saying to themselves "It's what Bob would want" so they do it. I also believe there is a mandate that departments do 10% better year over year which drives some harsh decisions. Some managers are more creative than others and it shows.
And those more creative to cut costs , and do more with less etc, get noticed by bosses / move up the food chain ( ie Chapek ) .

Animaniac93-98

Personally, I think the problem is bigger than Chapek. Yes, he needs to be gone, but what we all really want is for the company to return to the values and ethics that made it so huge to begin with. Just getting rid of Chapek won't do that.

The people who made Disney "Disney" are either all dead or were forced out. Even the generation that worked closely with those people.

The company is bloated and has no vision. It can still succeed, but it certainly can't inspire or innovate much anymore.

DonniePeverley

IGER would have had the clout and confidence from investors to borrow and invest in Disney.

Chapek is new, he is vulnerable to these investors who want to see profit. He will not be investing in anything. Cost cutting will be the key so he can give his investors profit.

That's how this all works.

Chapek won't be investing in the parks for a good decade

mikejs78

Premium Member
Lol, so chapek is at fault for things that occurred when he was in the position of Josh, and now is responsible for the same things now that Josh is in that position? So, chapek had complete autonomy when he was in charge of parks, but now as ceo, he has changed the ceo duties to micromanages and make decisions for each and every thing that occurs in the parks. This right here is why people laugh at the love for Josh.

I'm not defending chapek, I'm saying the Josh love is laughable. He doesn't have the history? He's been in charge of parks for a year and a half. How many cuts have we seen? I'm making the case you need to pick a lane. Either the head of parks is responsible for the cuts and lessening of guest experiences, or the ceo is. Either chapek was responsible for all the cuts a few years back, or he's responsible now and took unfair blame for iger in the past.

For the record, I think the mask mandate should end at WDW, too. But I won’t use “the kids are protected!” to support that. I’ll say, “give at least a week’s notice, a generous cancellation policy, and let parents decide.”

I won’t take my kids anywhere without a mask mandate until they have full protection in 37 days. At that point, I would happily burn my masks here in CT. Our case counts are low enough. Florida seems to be on the same trajectory finally. Ran out of hosts?

Although I guess I’d keep one mask for planes. Those places are nasty year-round, especially during respiratory illness season! There are nasty colds going around. No thanks.

So my take based on what I've heard here and pieced together from other sources - Iger was pretty hands-off with the parks, while Chapek is pretty hands-on as CEO. That's the big difference. Chapek sees the parks as "his baby" and tends to somewhat micromanage things where Iger was more interested in media, given his background.

That seems plausible to me, given what we know about Chapek's personality. I give @ToTBellHop's take on Josh some weight, given his general track record and obvious connections with some internal people. The current direction of the parks does seem to follow the Chapek playbook. So I'd place the current blame on Chapek, given all this.

As far as D'maro, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt right now. Multiple credible people seem to indicate that he's good for the parks. I'll wait and see (assumig he outlasts Chapek) what happens to the parks once Chapek is gone before I judge Josh.

denyuntilcaught

I'm definitely in the minority, but I enjoyed his first book. As egotistical as it was, helped me get a sense of how he viewed things and actually contained some rather insightful leadership principals.

Things are more enjoyable when you don't take them as gospel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom