News Reflections of Earth confirmed to be replaced by Harmonious

maxairmike

I'm listening to it now. It's just noise.

EDIT - I just want to say. The concept of using different languages in the show I was very intrigued by and really supported. I guess the easiest way for people who didn't speak these languages were to use familiar songs from the movies. But... I don't know, it just doesn't work for me to really appreciate it as a piece of music. I guess as sound to go with elaborate show pieces, it works. But big nighttime shows like these deserve those kinds of earworms that people hum along to days, weeks, months, years after leaving the park.

I've been singing and humming Live the Magic, A Kiss Goodnight, and the PTN soundtrack regularly since 2015 (And yet the best they can do is put A Kiss Goodnight on a CD attached to a kids book? Not that I'm still bitter about the lack of 60th show music availability or anything), and the WoC theme(s) since 2013. I even enjoy the main theme for Happily Ever After despite being lukewarm on the show itself. There's nothing new about Harmonious' soundtrack that grabs me and makes me sing/hum it, partly because most of the songs featured I already do that with.

And yes, I was listening to it tonight and the version on Apple Music definitely had no differentiation/"space" amongst the vocal layers which made it sound jumbled and busy at times. I don't recall thinking that in the park when I viewed it, but I definitely want to see it again to listen for that.

wtyy21

Finally saw the show. It’s not bad. Objectively and in isolation. If the Magic Kingdom had a lagoon to put this into, it would be wonderful. It’s a technically creative and sometimes lovely show that is tremendously out of place.

Epcot has had a gravitas about it and that essential ingredient is not in this show. It’s just not the nighttime show Epcot deserves. Or even NEW Epcot deserves.

I received a pretty pointed survey specifically about Harmonius and how I felt about it in relation to previous shows. Asked a whole slew of questions and wanted a written response. Let’s hope they fiddle with it.

And yes, the barge hardware really is as bad as everyone says.
Magic Kingdom had Rivers of America. Why not utilizing it as alternative view for fireworks.

cmb5002

Given the time at which the show ends, you probably do need to get out within the next 30-45 minutes
True, unless they're doing the evening magic hours (or whatever they call them now). We usually post up at Italy and enjoy a leisurely walk to the IG listening to tapas try and other post fireworks music. A leisurely walk after Harmonious, with its post show music, just feels weird.

Vinnie Mac

True, unless they're doing the evening magic hours (or whatever they call them now). We usually post up at Italy and enjoy a leisurely walk to the IG listening to tapas try and other post fireworks music. A leisurely walk after Harmonious, with its post show music, just feels weird.
I actually like the HarmonioUS post-show music. Has a nice serene vibe to it to start off the first 2-3 minutes and then gives the World Showcase a nice nighttime atmosphere that it had been missing for awhile.

UNCgolf

I actually like the HarmonioUS post-show music. Has a nice serene vibe to it to start off the first 2-3 minutes and then gives the World Showcase a nice nighttime atmosphere that it had been missing for awhile.

The previous nighttime atmosphere of the World Showcase was absolutely perfect. Having dinner and not finishing until after the park closed and most people were gone was one of the best experiences at WDW -- just casually walking around the World Showcase with few people there and nice music playing.

I haven't heard what it sounds like now, but it would be basically impossible to improve on what it was like a couple of years ago.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

The previous nighttime atmosphere of the World Showcase was absolutely perfect. Having dinner and not finishing until after the park closed and most people were gone was one of the best experiences at WDW -- just casually walking around the World Showcase with few people there and nice music playing.

I haven't heard what it sounds like now, but it would be basically impossible to improve on what it was like a couple of years ago.
No it wasn't lol. Epcot Forever had a terrible post-show atmosphere.

Ohhh, you thought I was referring to ROE. Yeah no, more so referring to Epcot Forever and that unfortunate period of time in which Epcot had no fireworks at all. You can settle down now, I'm not attacking ROE or anything lol.
I would say don't knock it until you try it but I get the idea that this concept is basically irrelevent here at this point (especially in this thread). I did love ROE's post show music, but I do personally find HarmonioUS's post show music nearly as enjoyable.

UNCgolf

Ohhh, you thought I was referring to ROE. Yeah no, more so referring to Epcot Forever and that unfortunate period of time in which Epcot had no fireworks at all. You can settle down now, I'm not attacking ROE or anything lol.

I would say don't knock it until you try it but I get the idea that this concept is basically irrelevent here at this point (especially in this thread).

I wasn't talking about immediately after the show ends -- I was talking about what the park was like 15+ minutes after the show was over. I don't think we left the restaurant until 9:25 or so after the park closed at 9. This was actually after EPCOT Forever, but it may be that once that much time has passed they're already done with the official post show music anyways and are just playing a normal background loop.

Either way, anything really upbeat wouldn't work well in that environment IMO. It needs to be quiet orchestral music to fit the overall vibe of the World Showcase. But again, I have no idea how long the post show music lasts or what Harmonious' post show music even sounds like.

Last edited:

Vinnie Mac

I wasn't talking about immediately after the show ends -- I was talking about what the park was like 15+ minutes after the show was over. I don't think we left the restaurant until 9:25 or so after the park closed at 9. This was actually after EPCOT Forever, but it may be that once that much time has passed they're already done with the official post show music anyways and are just playing a normal background loop.

Either way, anything really upbeat wouldn't work well in that environment IMO. It needs to be quiet orchestrated music to fit the overall vibe of the World Showcase. But again, I have no idea how long the post show music lasts or what Harmonious' post show music even sounds like.
Interesting. If what you were saying was in relation to Epcot Forever, I heavily disagree but I'll respect your opinion.

I don't agree, I feel like something upbeat would work well as long as it's not New Years type upbeat every single night. The HarmonioUS post show music is like a weird but nice mix of orchheastra and upbeat international music after the first couple of minutes of the soundtrack which is basically just a slower version of "Someday" which is the type of orchestrates music you are talking about.

Overall I think the post-show music is great, someone like you might not like it (actually something tells me you'll hate it if we're comparing it to EF or ROE post-show music) but I'd say for most it's enjoyable.

Vinnie Mac

Well Hercules isn't used at all in the parks outside of a song being in some nighttime shows.

BatB is definitely oversaturated, though -- first they need to get rid of the singalong in France and go back to Impressions 100% of the time, and then they need to create a new stage show to replace the 30 year old one at DHS.
Was talking less about the frequency usage and more so about the reason for their usage being political. If you know, you know.

mikejs78

Premium Member

I would say don't knock it until you try it but I get the idea that this concept is basically irrelevent here at this point (especially in this thread). I did love ROE's post show music, but I do personally find HarmonioUS's post show music nearly as enjoyable.

Interesting. If what you were saying was in relation to Epcot Forever, I heavily disagree but I'll respect your opinion.

I don't agree, I feel like something upbeat would work well as long as it's not New Years type upbeat every single night. The HarmonioUS post show music is like a weird but nice mix of orchheastra and upbeat international music after the first couple of minutes of the soundtrack which is basically just a slower version of "Someday" which is the type of orchestrates music you are talking about.

Overall I think the post-show music is great, someone like you might not like it (actually something tells me you'll hate it if we're comparing it to EF or ROE post-show music) but I'd say for most it's enjoyable.
Other than the initial few minutes, the post show music shares many of the same tracks as the EF post show.

Sir_Cliff

Was talking less about the frequency usage and more so about the reason for their usage being political. If you know, you know.
I get what you mean here and people do seem very sensitive to what they detect as political motives behind everything at Disney Parks these days.

That said, I have to be honest and say that I feel a little beaten over the head with Princess and the Frog at the parks. Even if it gets a little tiresome, I understand using Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast for these shows so much and, if anything, don't think Moana is represented in the parks to a level that equals its huge popularity. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but PatF and specifically its music just didn't seem to resonate as much as they seem to want it to have resonated. At the end of the day, though, I don't begrudge them wanting to avoid shows that are largely a parade of Scandinavian and fair skinned European characters. PatF's inclusion makes more sense than Brave being given such prime billing in Happily Ever After and Harmonious.

I do think it was a little discordant for Harmonious to build up to an extended musical celebration of America. I think it would have been nicer to start there and then head out on a musical journey around the world, perhaps ending with Coco.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

89B25FD6-B080-4A81-898C-4787B6DFA9EF.jpeg
Canada needs some help with its show lighting.

trainplane3

View attachment 598479Canada needs some help with its show lighting.
It's fine. They're barely used in the actual show. And if they're in the post-show, no one will notice since they're rushing out of the park. - Management (probably)

Random: Looking through old Harmonious art for other reasons, I noticed IPs that got cut. Not a big deal, just interesting how much things changed since 2018.
epcot-celebration-music-frozen.jpg

epcot-celebration-music-pocahontas.jpg

James Alucobond

That said, I have to be honest and say that I feel a little beaten over the head with Princess and the Frog at the parks. Even if it gets a little tiresome, I understand using Little Mermaid and Beauty & the Beast for these shows so much and, if anything, don't think Moana is represented in the parks to a level that equals its huge popularity. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but PatF and specifically its music just didn't seem to resonate as much as they seem to want it to have resonated. At the end of the day, though, I don't begrudge them wanting to avoid shows that are largely a parade of Scandinavian and fair skinned European characters. PatF's inclusion makes more sense than Brave being given such prime billing in Happily Ever After and Harmonious.
It really does feel like they’re trying to make “fetch” happen, as it were.

Vinnie Mac

I get what you mean here and people do seem very sensitive to what they detect as political motives behind everything at Disney Parks these days.
Mainly what I'm trying to say. It's getting a tad bit ridiculous especially considering the fact that select movies/shows/characters don't get the same type of attitude/response.

Maybe I'm wrong on this, but PatF and specifically its music just didn't seem to resonate as much as they seem to want it to have resonated.
I don't think it was so supposed to resonate with anyone emotionally but I somewhat feel like I get what you mean. Now, I don't know if imagineers thought this deep about it but I did personally find it interesting how Dig a Little Deeper - a song who's theme is that of finding motivation within yourself to work hard for what you desire and more or less entrepreneurship in a somewhat subtle sense - was used to represent the United States of America, a country that is (in its best light) associated with similar themes. Could just be me overthinking it but I'd be lying if I said I didn't find that concept to be interesting.

Vinnie Mac

It's fine. They're barely used in the actual show. And if they're in the post-show, no one will notice since they're rushing out of the park. - Management (probably)

Random: Looking through old Harmonious art for other reasons, I noticed IPs that got cut. Not a big deal, just interesting how much things changed since 2018.
View attachment 598560
View attachment 598561
I sleep well at night knowing that first picture stayed in the realm of concept art and never made it to the real world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom