Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

LittleBuford

I also think it would be very popular and probably attract more overall business to Disney Springs. A vegetarian/vegan option on the menu is great, but it's not remotely comparable to an actual vegetarian/vegan restaurant with many options. I think there are a lot of people who would go to DS specifically to eat there.
From your lips to the Disney gods’ ears!

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

So will be interesting to see what happens tomorrow 🍿
atomic bomb explosion GIF
barbecue GIF

UNCgolf

From your lips to the Disney gods’ ears!

I imagine at Disney Springs they'd just need someone to have the idea and want to rent a space.

Which actually could be the problem, now that I think about it -- I'm pretty sure the rent at DS is astronomical. There could be people who were interested in putting a restaurant like that there but just couldn't afford to sign on to the lease without knowing how successful it would be.

hopemax

You are supposed to be able to buy the Genie+ add-on at midnight, right? Which is in about 90 minutes. So we should see something, right?

Trauma

So what will the magic genie have in store for us tomorrow?

Will it be a evil corporate money grabbing debacle sure to ruin your upcoming trip?

Will it be the magical solution to all of our problems, finally allowing us to enjoy the parks how we see fit?
( For just a tiny fee of course )

It all starts to play out tomorrow and the answers to these questions will be of the utmost importance.

Is anything about the magic anymore?

Or is it all about the money?

mikejs78

Premium Member
Is anyone else looking at their app to see when the changes roll out? Epcot is the only park still open (and that's only for the extended hours)

I have been checking periodically but I know the changes probably won’t roll out until middle of the night.

You are supposed to be able to buy the Genie+ add-on at midnight, right? Which is in about 90 minutes. So we should see something, right?
My guess is that you'll have to update MDE from the app/play store.

ParentsOf4

I don't agree with this animation because it uses a false equivalency. It uses the $3.50 base ticket of 1971 as its starting point. That equates to about $24 in 2021 dollars. Given the average ticket today of approximately $130, that seems like an insane increase.

The problem with that is that included access to exactly *zero* rides, as you had to purchase ticket books to get on anything. So we aren't comparing apples to apples.

A better comparison would be 1982 to today, as in 1982 they introduced the all-inclusive pass. So that pass in 1982 went for about $30. In today's dollars, that's about $85. Now, Disney has still obviously increased higher than inflation in relation to that, but not nearly as high as that animation illustrates.
The "all inclusive" ticket absolutely did not sell for $30 in 1982. It went for half that: $15.

The first WDW I ever paid for with my own money was a 3-day hopper which I bought in May 1983 for $35. Again, that was a 3-day ticket. These are the ticket prices from May 1983:

1634612434471.png

The following chart, which I have not updated in many years, includes the most expensive Adventure Book in the price of the ticket up to 1981.

1634612145930.png

Essentially, WDW ticket prices closely followed Median Household Income until the early 2000s.

Looking more closely at what has happened across all WDW ticket prices since then:

1634612271846.png

Since the early 2000s, WDW ticket price increases have far outpaced Household Income across almost all income groups. (Pretty much every group except the top 1%, which I did not chart.)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom