Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleBuford

Communities of color are also disproportionately affected by a variety of negative health factors so they’re still disproportionately impacted by strained hospitals. They’d still be further punished by care determined by chances for a positive outcome because their chances for a positive outcome are lower.
And your criteria would disadvantage them further.

There are millions and millions of unvaccinated Americans. They are your neighbours, friends, and family members. Show some compassion, for goodness' sake.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

There are millions and millions of unvaccinated Americans. They are your neighbours, friends, and family members. Show some compassion, for goodness' sake.
That’s why I support any and all efforts to get more people vaccinated. Whether it’s directly mandated by the government like for Federal workers and hospitals that receive Medicare payments or by an individual business that decided to directly mandate vaccines on their own like Disney or eventually will indirectly because of the OSHA requirements. The best way to show the unvaccinated compassion is to nudge them towards helping themselves by getting the shot.

EpcoTim

That’s why I support any and all efforts to get more people vaccinated. Whether it’s directly mandated by the government like for Federal workers and hospitals that receive Medicare payments or by an individual business that decided to directly mandate vaccines on their own like Disney or eventually will indirectly because of the OSHA requirements. The best way to show the unvaccinated compassion is to nudge them towards helping themselves by getting the shot.
What about those living in complete and total poverty? Those without jobs, cars, electricity? What are you going to do to them? These are people who have feared the gov’t for generations, these are people with less than you could ever imagine. What do you do to them?

disneygeek90

What about those living in complete and total poverty? Those without jobs, cars, electricity? What are you going to do to them? Take away their EBT card? These are people who have feared the gov’t for generations, these are people with less than you could ever imagine. What do you do to them?
What percentage of the unvaccinated falls under this category? I think there’s more realistic and attainable places to focus.

Chi84

Premium Member
What about those living in complete and total poverty? Those without jobs, cars, electricity? What are you going to do to them? These are people who have feared the gov’t for generations, these are people with less than you could ever imagine. What do you do to them?
If they feared the government for generations, how do they get the EBT cards? Don’t you have to deal with the government to get one?

EpcoTim

What percentage of the unvaccinated falls under this category? I think there’s more realistic and attainable places to focus.
I thought the goal was to get everyone vaccinated and punish those who don’t? How do you punish societies most crippled members? How are they not worth your thought and effort? Keep the context of the reply.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What about those living in complete and total poverty? Those without jobs, cars, electricity? What are you going to do to them? Take away their EBT card? These are people who have feared the gov’t for generations, these are people with less than you could ever imagine. What do you do to them?
I wouldn’t do anything to them. This isn’t about punishment. It’s possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. Just because there’s a plan around workplace mandates doesn‘t mean the plans to encourage people to be vaccinated just stop. There are still vaccine drives, community outreach programs and targeted vaccine clinics in community centers and neighborhood medical facilities where people may be more comfortable going. It’s been happening since day 1, continues today and will be needed the future.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

My step-mother is a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner working with the homeless in Louisville, KY. There have been targeted campaigns to get people in the homeless population there vaccinated. Closer to home, there have been mobile units and on-site vaccination clinics in and around the St. Louis, MO area, including East St. Louis, IL and the surrounding cities and neighborhoods. Many of these are hosted by churches or community organizations who already have a history of trust and teamwork with the people who live there.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought the goal was to get everyone vaccinated and punish those who don’t? How do you punish societies most crippled members? How are they not worth your thought and effort? Keep the context of the reply.
You are way off base. This has nothing to do with punishing anyone. That’s just BS political talking points. Getting people to take a vaccine that can save their life and help end the pandemic isn’t a punishment.

EpcoTim

I wouldn’t do anything to them. This isn’t about punishment. It’s possible to walk and chew gum at the same time. Just because there’s a plan around workplace mandates doesn‘t mean the plans to encourage people to be vaccinated just stop. There are still vaccine drives, community outreach programs and targeted vaccine clinics in community centers and neighborhood medical facilities where people may be more comfortable going. It’s been happening since day 1, continues today and will be needed the future.
All true, but what about those that just don’t want the vaccine? You know they exist in those communities as well, right?

symon

Where is care rationing actually happening? I think Hawaii and Florida were in the worst shape for awhile but did either of them actually reach that point?

Genuine question.

Northern Idaho:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Australia has had a total of 1,102 covid deaths. Seems like “draconian” works if you want to keep your citizens alive during a global pandemic.

We had over 1,102 covid deaths yesterday.
Well of course. When a city reimplements a hard lockdown after only 20 to 30 cases and non essential travel is closed, you’re bound to keep cases down. The majority of their population is currently under lockdown.

disneygeek90

FC95162B-0295-4443-A05D-0EBDD436B500.png

If you think homeless, jobless, electricity-less individuals are the ones that are getting Covid and the driving cause spreading it to others in public idk what to tell you.

There’s lots of homeless outreach here in central Florida to make vaccines available to them, but we can only do so much for those that are hesitant and virtually impossible to reach.

Last edited:

EpcoTim

That’s what the vaccine is for.
Survival means something very different to people who haven’t eaten for days and who don’t have electricity to turn on their TVs or go argue on the Internet let alone a slice of bread.

lazyboy97o

As far as I am aware chances for the best outcome is how a hospital would decide who gets care and who does not get care when it is not possible to treat everyone. Any sort of equity weighting only works if those demographics are at play. Or it could just be first come, first serve which is what we’ve seen more play out where places fill up and stop taking people. This too disproportionately affects certain groups as they wait longer to seek care.

A pair of twins, who grew up together, own a business together split 50/50, each have a spouse and 2 kids of nearly the same ages each need a ventilator. Both will almost certainly die without the ventilator and both will most likely make a full recovery with the ventilator. One is unvaccinated and sick with COVID-19 and the other (vaccinated) was hit by a drunk driver. There is only one ventilator. Who gets it? Somebody will die. Somebody will be denied care. There is no win for everyone. Someone louses a spouse, a sibling loses a sibling, children lose a parent, other children lose an aunt/uncle. This isn’t about just leaving people to die while there is more than enough staff and equipment, this is about lousy decisions where someone will lose. Why is it more compassionate to save the unvaccinated twin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom