Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Ayla

Is this how you and others feel about those who develop cancer after years of smoking, or those in need of medical attention for being morbidly obese?

I feel a bit homeless in this thread, stuck between those who are trying to downplay COVID and those who seem to have developed a rabid hatred for the unvaccinated.
I have zero compassion for people who willingly choose to endanger everyone else around them, including their own children. They are why this bs is STILL going on. At this point, the unvaccinated need to suffer the consequences of their idiotic choice. If that means they lose their jobs and are shunned by civilized society, so be it. That's the choice they made.

LittleBuford

I don’t think the suggestion is to knowingly just deny care while standing idly by, but to prioritize people who have been vaccinated over those who are not vaccinated. Decisions regarding who gets care are already being made, and the suggestion is that those who chose to be vaccinated should not be the ones left to suffer. If two people need a ventilator and only one is left it goes to the vaccinated person.
Among the least likely to be vaccinated are communities of colour with long histories of being disadvantaged and mistreated. You would have them further punished by being turned away when they most need help.

This pandemic seems to have robbed some of you of your humanity.

Lilofan

My office was a Petri dish of virus and bacteria for years. Workplaces that did away with sick days and went to combined PTO for sick and vacation were particularly prone to people coming to work sick. I never understood the no hand washing thing, ever. I go to the restroom and I’m like a surgeon in there with my sleeves rolled up above the elbows scrubbing away. I don’t get people that walk out with no thought about hand washing or the splash and dashers who flip their hands under the faucet for a few seconds with no soap. I also had a problem with people who brought food or an open coffee cup into the public restroom. No….just no. The air in there is tainted, no food, no drink, wash your hands and get the heck out of there.
If you recall the powdered soap of the WDW theme parks 20 years ago, that not only cleaned your hands but felt like it took a layer off of the skin in the process. Then some were freaking out over powder left on the sink counter ( ie anthrax scare ) .

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Interesting news from Universal. Now unvaccinated individuals are back to wearing a mask at all times, inside and out.
View attachment 587093
View attachment 587094
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but with the numbers trending down in the Orlando area (and FL in general), this feels a bit like shutting the barn doors after the horses have escaped. I appreciate that they're setting guidelines for their employees, but I'm left to wonder, why now?

LittleBuford

I have zero compassion for people who willingly choose to endanger everyone else around them, including their own children. They are why this bs is STILL going on. At this point, the unvaccinated need to suffer the consequences of their idiotic choice. If that means they lose their jobs and are shunned by civilized society, so be it. That's the choice they made.
You illustrated my point perfectly.

@Club34 was right. The old Politics forum was a picnic compared to this place.

disneygeek90

My friend is a flight nurse in SW FL. Their runs had been down over the past few weeks because transfers they would normally run (regional and small rural hospitals to larger hospitals) weren’t being done. There’s more of a trickle effect when every hospital is 90%+ full. Hopefully it’s a little better now.
Another anecdote to go along with this. He texted me about an hour ago that one of their pilots passed from covid today. He was 62 and unvaccinated.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

If you recall the powdered soap of the WDW theme parks 20 years ago, that not only cleaned your hands but felt like it took a layer off of the skin in the process. Then some were freaking out over powder left on the sink counter ( ie anthrax scare ) .
I actually liked that soap. It was exfoliating! (My grandpa used to have it in his shop growing up.)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but with the numbers trending down in the Orlando area (and FL in general), this feels a bit like shutting the barn doors after the horses have escaped. I appreciate that they're setting guidelines for their employees, but I'm left to wonder, why now?
As far as I know they haven’t mandated vaccinations yet like Disney did. This may be another step towards pushing workers to get vaccinated without requiring it.

CaptainAmerica

Hawaii is doing the same thing. Rolling out a vaccine passport for restaurants just as Delta cases plummet.

disneygeek90

I have no inside information but I wonder if there’s been a surge of cases amongst TMs. That’s what caused my company to tighten restrictions.

Could also be cautiousness around HHN. Not sure.

JoeCamel

One thing people need to understand better is that hospitals aren't "full" when they're 100% "full." Surge capacity is designed to go past 100%.
Not really a good idea to run a hospital at 100% full or anywhere near it and with the burnout the definition of "full" may come to staffing not beds available.
You need to understand there are a bunch of sick people in this world and they will infect your children given enough time and interactions.
The only way out is not to say "the hospitals aren't full" so everything is okay but to get shots in arms and that includes the kids. They won't suffer long term mental damage from surviving a pandemic but might learn the tools needed to survive when another pandemic sweeps the world.

EpcoTim

Not by that idiotic statement by him or do you approve regarding the common cold?
I don’t approve of anything these days, I appreciate different outlooks, different inputs and different opinions whether I agree with them or not. The world has rarely benefited from accepting the status quo. Personal opinion.

TrainsOfDisney

On board with all of this except "responsible mitigation strategies in schools," because I assume they means masking children. We're the only developed country that makes kindergartners wear masks. Even Australia, which has been absolutely Draconian in their lockdown measures, does not mandate masks for young kids.

Australia has had a total of 1,102 covid deaths. Seems like “draconian” works if you want to keep your citizens alive during a global pandemic.

We had over 1,102 covid deaths yesterday.

lazyboy97o

Among the least likely to be vaccinated are communities of colour with long histories of being disadvantaged and mistreated. You would have them further punished by being turned away when they most need help.

This pandemic seems to have robbed some of you of your humanity.
Communities of color are also disproportionately affected by a variety of negative health factors so they’re still disproportionately impacted by strained hospitals. They’d still be further punished by care determined by chances for a positive outcome because their chances for a positive outcome are lower.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hawaii is doing the same thing. Rolling out a vaccine passport for restaurants just as Delta cases plummet.
The plan was announced 8/23 but they had to give businesses time to prepare. It’s also supposed to be temporary although I could see it becoming state law some time in the near future. Hawaii tourism was seriously booming despite (because of?) their stringent covid rules. I think they took the polar opposite approach as FL but it’s unclear which plan is better for tourism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom