Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

October82

\\
On board with all of this except "responsible mitigation strategies in schools," because I assume they means masking children. We're the only developed country that makes kindergartners wear masks. Even Australia, which has been absolutely Draconian in their lockdown measures, does not mandate masks for young kids.

Different nations use different combinations of mitigation strategies. Australia's harsh social distancing measures mean that masking children in schools isn't necessary. The failure of the US to control, even in a very basic way, the spread of Covid outside of schools means that we are more at risk of spread in schools. That makes masking more necessary.

SteveAZee

Not really. The vaccines work. Trust them. No, they don't drive your risk to 0, but they drive your risk pretty damn close to 0.
I'm vaccinated, and generally not too worried about me, but I also think it's possible that I could catch and transmit it to someone who isn't, so I have to be careful for the sake of others. Again, the odds are much smaller than if I wasn't vaccinated. If everyone else is also vaccinated, I wouldn't really have anyone to transmit it to, and thus the collective anxiety for those of us who care about the well being of others would go down.

I'm amazed and disheartened by people who walk up to strangers and cough in their face. My daughter works in retail and has had it happen to her a number of times.

Heppenheimer

This is basically my point on natural immunity. I think it would be OK to allow exceptions with a certain level of anti-bodies but I think that just leads to bigger gripes and people complaining even more. It’s a slippery slope where proof of vaccination is pretty easy to provide
Testing everyone for antibodies who claimed to have been infected as a substitute for vaccination is logistically unfeasible. And it would require lab standardization on a scale never before attempted.

disneygeek90

Interesting news from Universal. Now unvaccinated individuals are back to wearing a mask at all times, inside and out.
329B913E-487F-4D3B-AE26-D0A32869720E.jpeg

D7CF2AC5-0FE2-47F9-8CA3-00C71E9BF9A5.jpeg

CaptainAmerica

I'm vaccinated, and generally not too worried about me, but I also think it's possible that I could catch and transmit it to someone who isn't, so I have to be careful for the sake of others. Again, the odds are much smaller than if I wasn't vaccinated. If everyone else is also vaccinated, I wouldn't really have anyone to transmit it to, and thus the collective anxiety for those of us who care about the well being of others would go down.

I'm amazed and disheartened by people who walk up to strangers and cough in their face. My daughter works in retail and has had it happen to her a number of times.
The one that has been shocking to me is that "stay home when you're sick" and "wash your hands once in awhile" are apparently brand new things that people only started doing in March 2020

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The one that has been shocking to me is that "stay home when you're sick" and "wash your hands once in awhile" are apparently brand new things that people only started doing in March 2020
My office was a Petri dish of virus and bacteria for years. Workplaces that did away with sick days and went to combined PTO for sick and vacation were particularly prone to people coming to work sick. I never understood the no hand washing thing, ever. I go to the restroom and I’m like a surgeon in there with my sleeves rolled up above the elbows scrubbing away. I don’t get people that walk out with no thought about hand washing or the splash and dashers who flip their hands under the faucet for a few seconds with no soap. I also had a problem with people who brought food or an open coffee cup into the public restroom. No….just no. The air in there is tainted, no food, no drink, wash your hands and get the heck out of there.

disneygeek90

But let’s keep the park guests mask free. Because, you know, we don’t want to offend anyone.
Yes. I’m sort of frustrated that they don’t require them inside at HHN. I understand that enforcement at 1am won’t be great. But even just telling people it’s required, 85% will just comply. It’s still better than the 15-20% wearing while they’re “recommended.”

CaptainAmerica

My office was a Petri dish of virus and bacteria for years. Workplaces that did away with sick days and went to combined PTO for sick and vacation were particularly prone to people coming to work sick. I never understood the no hand washing thing, ever. I go to the restroom and I’m like a surgeon in there with my sleeves rolled up above the elbows scrubbing away. I don’t get people that walk out with no thought about hand washing or the splash and dashers who flip their hands under the faucet for a few seconds with no soap. I also had a problem with people who brought food or an open coffee cup into the public restroom. No….just no. The air in there is tainted, no food, no drink, wash your hands and get the heck out of there.
To be fair, I don't necessarily link bathroom hand washing to COVID. If there's one place I'm very confident that SARS-CoV-2 ISN'T, it's the bits I touch when I use the bathroom.

lazyboy97o

The vast majority of unvaccinated people do not believe that they are at risk of being hospitalised with COVID. They are acting (or rather not acting) out of misguided fear and/or on the basis of disinformation. Frankly, I have more sympathy for them than I do for someone who knowingly chooses not to help a fellow human being.
I don’t think the suggestion is to knowingly just deny care while standing idly by, but to prioritize people who have been vaccinated over those who are not vaccinated. Decisions regarding who gets care are already being made, and the suggestion is that those who chose to be vaccinated should not be the ones left to suffer. If two people need a ventilator and only one is left it goes to the vaccinated person.

CaptainAmerica

I don’t think the suggestion is to knowingly just deny care while standing idly by, but to prioritize people who have been vaccinated over those who are not vaccinated. Decisions regarding who gets care are already being made, and the suggestion is that those who chose to be vaccinated should not be the ones left to suffer. If two people need a ventilator and only one is left it goes to the vaccinated person.
Where is care rationing actually happening? I think Hawaii and Florida were in the worst shape for awhile but did either of them actually reach that point?

Genuine question.

disneygeek90

Where is care rationing actually happening? I think Hawaii and Florida were in the worst shape for awhile but did either of them actually reach that point?

Genuine question.
My friend is a flight nurse in SW FL. Their runs had been down over the past few weeks because transfers they would normally run (regional and small rural hospitals to larger hospitals) weren’t being done. There’s more of a trickle effect when every hospital is 90%+ full. Hopefully it’s a little better now.

EpcoTim

Genuine question.
It’s not. Neither state could afford to do so because they rely on tourist dollars. If they happened to refuse medical attention to an unvaccinated person from New York or California the media would have a field day with it. No win situation for either state. The vaccinated from those states would no longer be anti-anti-Vaxxer at that point.

CaptainAmerica

My friend is a flight nurse in SW FL. Their runs had been down over the past few weeks because transfers they would normally run (regional and small rural hospitals to larger hospitals) weren’t being done. There’s more of a trickle effect when every hospital is 90%+ full. Hopefully it’s a little better now.
One thing people need to understand better is that hospitals aren't "full" when they're 100% "full." Surge capacity is designed to go past 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom