Rumor New Monorails Coming Soon?

lazyboy97o

One needs to look at the big picture with Iger. We park lovers get upset because he didn't do enough directly for the parks, but he built Disney up in strength that can only be measured if some group decided that they want to buy the parks (i.e. The Disney Company) and cut them up for parts. The strength that Iger built by expanding the footprint of the over all company and shoring up the stock value could very well be invaluable. We have to remember that the Disney Company is far more than just the parks. Time will tell, but I feel that Chapek will give you a lot more for the parks then Iger ever did, but he will be more inclined to do it on the cheap.
Disney was not at risk of a hostile takeover in 2005, but Iger is the one who wanted to sell off the parks.

Goofyernmost

I tried to do e-research…but I couldn’t find it…

aren’t there coated steel beams/bars encased in that concrete? If it’s just concrete…they could have a rather instantaneous failure, no?

…whatever they are…they are not permanent and have/will begin to fail.
Rest assured if those beams were not pre-stressed concrete beams they would have hit the ground by now.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
1631496727930.png

From this place

deix15x8

From a conversation I had with a pilots few years ago, my understanding is that it’s capable of running fully automatically, but that pilots are present to supervise the computer as it were, and to take over in case of a malfunction. I assume they still have to run manually a certain percentage of the time as well to keep their skills up.
That's just crazy. When you look at what a Tesla is capable of doing it seems crazy that a train on a single lane beam can't stop in a certain spot and react to trains in front of it.

hosekiller

That's just crazy. When you look at what a Tesla is capable of doing it seems crazy that a train on a single lane beam can't stop in a certain spot and react to trains in front of it.
I’m just relaying what was told to me by a guy that “drives” the thing. We were boarding monorail red in the Contemporary when they were on a “station hold” or whatever they called it. They were stuck in the station due to a backup further down the line or something like that. Anyways, my son was invited into the cab and got to sit in the chair and all that, then got a pilot’s license. Pretty cool. My son and I are nerdy, so we asked about how it works, and he was real cool about it. He made it sound like it’s capable of full automation, but the pilot is there to make announcements and take over if needed. Pretty sure he said they run manually every so often for pilot proficiency. Like someone else said, sounds like many other transit systems that have automation but keep personnel for the sake of redundancy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One needs to look at the big picture with Iger. We park lovers get upset because he didn't do enough directly for the parks, but he built Disney up in strength that can only be measured if some group decided that they want to buy the parks (i.e. The Disney Company) and cut them up for parts. The strength that Iger built by expanding the footprint of the over all company and shoring up the stock value could very well be invaluable. We have to remember that the Disney Company is far more than just the parks. Time will tell, but I feel that Chapek will give you a lot more for the parks then Iger ever did, but he will be more inclined to do it on the cheap.
Only dealing in parks here…and Bob hatched some plans that have looked like turds in other segments too

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m just relaying what was told to me by a guy that “drives” the thing. We were boarding monorail red in the Contemporary when they were on a “station hold” or whatever they called it. They were stuck in the station due to a backup further down the line or something like that. Anyways, my son was invited into the cab and got to sit in the chair and all that, then got a pilot’s license. Pretty cool. My son and I are nerdy, so we asked about how it works, and he was real cool about it. He made it sound like it’s capable of full automation, but the pilot is there to make announcements and take over if needed. Pretty sure he said they run manually every so often for pilot proficiency. Like someone else said, sounds like many other transit systems that have automation but keep personnel for the sake of redundancy.
Well they had this “accident” a while back…so I think computerized control/redundancy became a lawyers request?

hosekiller

Well they had this “accident” a while back…so I think computerized control/redundancy became a lawyers request?
Or just good old common sense?

I’m at my limits of my understanding of the system, so who knows why they decided what they decided. Computers are very capable but not infallible….for example, as mentioned above, Teslas are insane as far as what they can do, but you also hear about crazy incidents where they experience failures. Personally, I hate giving complete control over to computers and feel the human element has to stay around to some extent.

articos

I tried to do e-research…but I couldn’t find it…

aren’t there coated steel beams/bars encased in that concrete? If it’s just concrete…they could have a rather instantaneous failure, no?

…whatever they are…they are not permanent and have/will begin to fail.

Well it’s “popular” now…I can’t “unthink it”😡
Replying in response to a few comments:

They are prestressed, hollow polystyrene core with steel reinforcement. The 71 guideway has continuous post tensioning through every 6 spans. The Epcot guideway may be every 5, but don’t quote me. Like anything, they are not forever, but with proper maintenance they should be fine for decades to come. The Epcot beam needs more maintenance to maintain a smooth ride and prevent excessive wear on the trains, but it’s not as bad as some make it out to be. They do perform maintenance on the guideways and pylons when necessary, regularly. Can Disney build more track? Sure. They added the spur with switch for the tractors a few years back. That‘s brand new track at the time, cast to the original 1971 specifications. People make assumptions about the system not being maintained/improved because it’s a free ride…it’s not. The cost of that ride is built into the cost of the resorts and the gate tickets, plus there’s specific budgets from the development and RCID side. Disney knows the costs to build / maintain / operate / expand every transportation service on the property. They maintain what they need to. If/when it becomes necessary / cost effective to expand the system, they will. Is it to the standards it used to be? Not always, just as much to my dismay as yours. But the important maintenance is always done. Yes, the train control system can be fully automated, but it‘s more the Disney way to have a smiling face on board. Last, I expect the next generation of trains to have a flush floor. Fun stories that are out there from those involved with getting the beams from one end of the country to the other back in the day: “getting those 337 beam pieces from Washington to Florida cost approximately $980,000 in freight.” “2 of the trains carrying the guideways ended up in a ditch instead of on the rails.”

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney was not at risk of a hostile takeover in 2005, but Iger is the one who wanted to sell off the parks.
Rumors indicate this is correct.
You must have read a different history book. If so... then great, I guess it never was in danger.
I believe it was 2003 and 2004 where the stock revolts occurred…featuring an unsolicited control bid launched by Comcast.

I believe that was at the request/knowledge of a couple of prominent Disney BOE influencers.

Goofyernmost

Only dealing in parks here…and Bob hatched some plans that have looked like turds in other segments too
Well, the parks are highly dependent on the overall health of the company. We can't just pick everything apart when it come to large corporations, they are all interlinked and affected when something positive or negative is introduced into the story.

Goofyernmost

Rumors indicate this is correct.

I believe it was 2003 and 2004 where the stock revolts occurred…featuring an unsolicited control bid launched by Comcast.

I believe that was at the request/knowledge of a couple of prominent Disney BOE influencers.
Who or when is not the point. As long as the stock prices remain high it eliminates a lot of sources of hostile buyouts. I feel that because of what Iger has done, non-theme park wise just strengthened the entire company against that type of thing happening. Not changing much in WDW has not seemed to have had that big a detrimental affect on it's current health. Besides the new pricing is driving us old folks away so the new groups coming in have nothing to compare it too, so it is all brand new to them. No need to spend billions on new attractions. That is what the competition has got to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom