Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It was a White House official who told the Washington Post concerning it. And the Washington Post put out an article stating that.
So I guess the person that started it was a White House official (not surprisingly) who got it wrong.
The WH official answered the question asked accurately. USPS workers are not covered under the mandate that all Federal workers be vaccinated because they don’t technically qualify as Federal workers anymore. That’s true. People went crazy saying how can a company with 101 employees be held to this standard but not the post office with 600K+ workers. And then all the conspiracy theories about unions and favoritism on why they were left out. Then today it was clarified that the USPS is not under the Federal employee mandate but they are under the same OSHA requirement for weekly testing and/or vaccination that all other employers with over 100 employees is covered by. So no, the WH official didn’t ”get it wrong“ and the Washington Post article was actually accurate too. It was the social media echo chamber on Twitter who failed to understand the difference between the Federal worker mandate and the OSHA rule and jumped to wrong conclusions.

Shellyl64

I think there's plenty of compassion for those that can't. For those that are afraid... we have been patient. Trials have gone on well over a year now. There's simply no reason to be scared, but as adults we do things all the time we don't like or are uncomfortable with. I personally absolutely loathe the dentist but I get it done anyway. If you're (general you not you) scared, have a buddy hold your hand and just get it over with.
But for some it’s not about the injection, it’s about the side effects. I have a friend who is terrified of having heart problems because of already having some cardiac issues. Her fear is legit.

Wendy Pleakley

I am truly sincere when I asked the question why no one cares that there are people who are truly scared to take the vaccine. Why can’t anyone understand that?

Their fears continue to put others at risk, and prolong this pandemic.

I hope that resources can be utilized to reach anyone with fears and help them get vaccinated, but in the meantime I'm ready for vaccine passports and other restrictions.

I don't understand many of the fears. Why are people more scared of a safe vaccine than they are of dying in a hospital hooked up to a ventilator?

disneygeek90

But for some it’s not about the injection, it’s about the side effects. I have a friend who is terrified of having heart problems because of already having some cardiac issues. Her fear is legit.
I get that. But to my knowledge people with a ton of high risk issues (cancer, cardiac problems, diabetes) etc have all been encouraged to get the vaccine as there has been no long term side effects. I gotta think your friend's risk of having serious side effects actually having covid is much much greater than the vaccine.

Have they spoken with their doctor to see if there are any concerns?

Shellyl64

I get that. But to my knowledge people with a ton of high risk issues (cancer, cardiac problems, diabetes) etc have all been encouraged to get the vaccine as there has been no long term side effects. I gotta think your friend's risk of having serious side effects actually having covid is much much greater than the vaccine.

Have they spoken with their doctor to see if there are any concerns?
They have had Covid and have antibodies so why wouldn’t that count.

LittleBuford

They have had Covid and have antibodies so why wouldn’t that count.
My father had a very bad case of the virus earlier this year and spent over three months in hospital because of it. Even so, he was vaccinated after he began recovering from his illness, both because he wanted to be and because his doctors advised it. Why risk getting it a second time?

I really think your friend should discuss her concerns with her doctor.

Animal_Kingdom_09

That’s a huge reach. First, this isn’t an executive order we are talking about. OSHA dictates safety requirements for workplaces all the time. Many jobs they have jurisdiction over have minority workers but that doesn’t prevent them from making a safe environment for them to work in. Nothing about this can be seen as discriminatory in any way.

You may be correct - it will ultimately be decided by the courts. Unfortunately, if you run a business you are not allowed to ignore the EEOC just because OSHA puts out a rule. I don't have a strong personal opinion about this issue either way, but I do have to evaluate my risk of getting sued from all angles. Maybe the EEOC will modify their rules to match OSHA.

The EEOC rules, which are already on the books, are here under section "K":

EEOC

I don't like being used as Biden's enforcer just because I run a company, but such is life.

Shellyl64

In relation to today’s discussion the OSHA requirement allows an option to get tested weekly instead of vaccination. So nobody is being forced to take a vaccine they are afraid of.

The vaccine makes you way less likely to catch covid, way less likely to become seriously ill or die if you do and way less likely to spread Covid to others. So since taking the vaccine makes you way less likely to infect others the question can also be asked “why don’t the unvaccinated care about themselves or other people they could potentially infect?”
But you could say that about a lot of things. Why don’t people care about second hand smoke, why don’t people care about texting and driving, why don’t people care about dumping toxins in rivers. I know that sounds dumb but shouldn’t we care about a lot of other things also.

Virtual Toad

I have never posted on here and after reading how some of you comment I am completely sure I would never want to meet you. I have never seen such rude remarks and there is definately no Grace for anyone with a different opinion. No compassion for anyone who may truly be afraid to get vaccinated or those that can’t.
That’s not entirely true. There has been pretty consistent and heartfelt sympathy and understanding here for those truly unable to get vaccinated. The fact that some cannot get the vaccine makes it even more important that the rest of us step up to do so, for their sake as well as our own. Fear of the vaccine is no longer a valid excuse. Fear of dying on a ventilator in the hospital, gasping for air, unable to even have your loved ones say goodbye in person should certainly be greater than the fear of getting a couple of shots in the arm.

This thread has occasionally been less than hospitable to all viewpoints. By and large there has been a lot of patience for the repeated and tiring anti-vaccine viewpoints that are expressed here repeatedly.

Everyone is entitled to express their opinion, but if someone expresses views that shun science, fact, reason and common sense— in the face of the greatest crisis many of us have seen in our lifetimes— they should reasonably expect those views to be challenged.

dovetail65

I am truly sincere when I asked the question why no one cares that there are people who are truly scared to take the vaccine. Why can’t anyone understand that?
It is illogical to be afraid at this point and being afraid to do something isn't an adult reason. Still, we have compassion. Please try to read more good sources on the subject and try to truly understand Covid, the vaccine and the real world effect of the vaccine already shown in the last 18 months, this should help the fear subside.

You are likely to be killed in car incident every 1 in 100 times you get in a car or 1% chance, you face that multiple time a day if in a car, that is FACT, but getting death by a covid shot is only 0.0019%. That is about the same odds as being hit by lighting.

Make yourself knowledgeable then you wont be afraid. Anyone that truly understand the vaccine and then all the numbers since its been in the real world could never be afraid. Only people that do not understand it and listen to falsehoods could be afraid.

Here are the adverse effect showing the small odds I describe:

Read this:

Then this:

Read this too:

Then read this:

And this:

Look at my sources, the CDC is one, if you dont trust them what about John Hopkins or Harvard?These are some of the best in the world.

Even the smarter Republican know the way and that it's not only safe but a must:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...a06e9c-e999-11eb-8950-d73b3e93ff7f_story.html

Look at who is vaccinated, it should tell us all something:

If after all this you are afraid you have to realize that your own illogical fear is not a reason to hurt the rest of us as a whole. Not getting vaccinated is going to keep Covid ruling us forever and that is not fair.

Last edited:

aliceismad

Covid-19 is more likely to cause heart-related issues than the vaccines. Even if you have had covid once, the vaccine offers additional protection from future strains.

There are plenty of articles and advice from reputable sources about this, but here's one.

Shellyl64

If you'll forgive me, you seem just as resistant to discussion as the posters you're criticising. You're automatically dismissing even the most measured of responses.
That’s not true. I am truly willing to discuss this but this side is never defended. You are told that you are to just buck up and take one for the team. It’s not like that sometimes. The mental side of it just can’t be pushed aside.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You may be correct - it will ultimately be decided by the courts. Unfortunately, if you run a business you are not allowed to ignore the EEOC just because OSHA puts out a rule. I don't have a strong personal opinion about this issue either way, but I do have to evaluate my risk of getting sued from all angles. Maybe the EEOC will modify their rules to match OSHA.

The EEOC rules, which are already on the books, are here under section "K":

EEOC

I don't like being used as Biden's enforcer just because I run a company, but such is life.
EEOC has already put out guidance and has advised that employers can mandate covid vaccination as long as reasonable accommodations are made for medical and religious exemptions. That’s just to mandate the vaccine with no option for testing. If you allow an option for testing then that’s an even less restrictive mandate.

Shellyl64

Once again, have they discussed it with their doctor or just leaning into confirmation bias to talk themselves out of getting the vaccine?
Yes. I was so glad she talked with me today because we both are in the same boat. My Dr has told me I am not to get the vaccine because of a reaction from another injection that put me in the hospital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom