The World's Most Magical Celebration - Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary

ImperfectPixie

The statues are looking kind of plastic-y. Maybe it's the finishing technique they used. Is it just me?
It's gold paint that's been "antiqued" and presumably had a clear protective coat added on top. True metallic gold paint needs protection from the weather or it turns brown...this is why real gold leaf is used on building domes, etc.

It looks like brushed metal to me.

I'll be sure to touch all of them and report back. 😂
If memory serves, they're painted gold. Someone shared a production video.

ImperfectPixie

Oh probably not. The way they are painted looks like brushed metal, to me at least.
I self-corrected...I seem to remember someone pouring metal into a mould in the video, but also that they were white being painted gold...so they either aren't metal, or they're metal that was primed white and then painted. (The more I think about it, the more I think they're metal that was primed and painted.)

kevlightyear

The statues are looking kind of plastic-y. Maybe it's the finishing technique they used. Is it just me?

It looks like brushed metal to me.

I'll be sure to touch all of them and report back. 😂

It's gold paint that's been "antiqued" and presumably had a clear protective coat added on top. True metallic gold paint needs protection from the weather or it turns brown...this is why real gold leaf is used on building domes, etc.

If memory serves, they're painted gold. Someone shared a production video.

They're definitely not as shiny as the advertised renders, that's for sure.

I mean, Partners looks like its made out of a heavy, solid metal:

Magic-Kingdom_Full_43324.jpg

And before they were finished, the statues are clearly made out metal:

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at Sep 9  11.54.09 AM.png

But now, if you told me they were metallic resin, I'd believe you.

The-Worlds-Most-Magical-Celebration_Full_43965.jpg

Bocabear

wow that does look like metallic painted resin....Though we know it is not... Wonder why they backed off the Gold statues and settled for aged brass... I believe the 21st Anniversary is the Brass Anniversary...and we all know that gold doesn't tarnish....so a patinated gold doesn't make sense...

ImperfectPixie

They're definitely not as shiny as the advertised renders, that's for sure.

I mean, Partners looks like its made out of a heavy, solid metal:

View attachment 585804

And before they were finished, the statues are clearly made out metal:

View attachment 585805

But now, if you told me they were metallic resin, I'd believe you.

View attachment 585806
The Partners statue also looks like a genuine, hand-made sculpture - you can see tool marks in Mickey's ears.

ImperfectPixie

wow that does look like metallic painted resin....Though we know it is not... Wonder why they backed off the Gold statues and settled for aged brass... I believe the 21st Anniversary is the Brass Anniversary...and we all know that gold doesn't tarnish....so a patinated gold doesn't make sense...
My bet is that straight gold-colored metal was far too reflective in the Florida sun and difficult to look at, as well as not providing enough contrast between facial features, etc. Generally, cast statues rely on weathering to achieve the "aged" look, but in this case (I'm assuming) that needed to be accelerated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom