Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The ONLY reason I mention 16+ is to avoid the cannon fodder of EUA vs approval. It's a technicality, to be sure, but I can see an HR department and legal bending just a little for the bigger gain.

There are pretty big hints here that our superintendent wants a student vaccine mandate, but either he, the board, or the attorneys are willing to wait for 12+ approval over authorization. And I guess they are holding back on 16+ until a larger percentage of the student body is fully approved. Funny thing is MT law allows for a student mandate but not teachers. Go figure.
I think there’s a very good chance that for the start of next school year covid vaccination will just be added to most school vaccination requirements. It doesn’t help us this year, but it makes a lot of sense when you think about the history of vaccine requirements.

lazyboy97o

For those interested, the Ohio case of the courts administering medical decisions/allowing outside physician care has hit a new phase. A reasonable one, unlike the previous decision.

The second judge mentioned many of the reasons that came up here, including the ability for the patient to seek care where Dr Wagshul has inpatient privileges just one county over.

https://apple.news/AZ8qPpeIwTWi4cRtYmBUTUw
Reading other articles, but they also state unsurprisingly that the couple is unvaccinated due to concerns about it being untested and “experimental,” but she had no problem with experimenting with excessive dosages of an unapproved drug.

Heppenheimer

For those interested, the Ohio case of the courts administering medical decisions/allowing outside physician care has hit a new phase. A reasonable one, unlike the previous decision.

The second judge mentioned many of the reasons that came up here, including the ability for the patient to seek care where Dr Wagshul has inpatient privileges just one county over.

https://apple.news/AZ8qPpeIwTWi4cRtYmBUTUw
Good. Really bad precedent on several levels in the original ruling. What I found most disturbing was that a judge could completely overrule a hospital's internal credentialing processes, and for reasons that clearly go against the current medical consensus.

Patcheslee

Not "kind of" but that's flat out what it states and even what my kid's school does or he'd never have been in school so far this year. I appreciate people being cautious, but really your work policy is a bit outdated IMO.
It also says vaxx'd need to test 3-5 days after exposure regardless of symptoms. So they treat everyone as a positive case for a minimum of 10 days. i.e. daily calls for temp and symptom checks. Even with a fever but negative results it bars someone from returning.

correcaminos

It also says vaxx'd need to test 3-5 days after exposure regardless of symptoms. So they treat everyone as a positive case for a minimum of 10 days. i.e. daily calls for temp and symptom checks. Even with a fever but negative results it bars someone from returning.
That has to be tough. As I said I really get people wanting to be cautious, but I am glad that our school follows CDC guidance. We'd be out a lot so far if we had to do it your work way - which totally made sense prior to vaccines IMO. So not totally just find it more strict than it really should be IMO. If we all followed this I'd be far more upset about unvaccinated people - and I'm pretty darn annoyed at them as it is ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I know it’s coming off a holiday weekend so lack of testing and maybe delayed reporting but this looks encouraging if it holds:
National Cases:
8C1D04B9-66DC-4B8E-8239-99BA16BDF9AF.png

Florida:
94C597FA-6B33-4D57-8750-85FB3B4F38CA.png

For FL the 7 day moving average dropped below 17K for the first time since July right around when WDW added back indoor masks. I don’t know what the plans are or if the case numbers stay trending down, but a mask free 50th is possible. I am sure that’s both exciting and frightening depending on who you ask 😷😷😷

mmascari

I know it’s coming off a holiday weekend so lack of testing and maybe delayed reporting but this looks encouraging if it holds:
Looks like a "double Sunday" value with the Holiday acting like a Sunday.

StateDateNew Cases7-Day Moving Avg7-Day Case Rate per 100k
FloridaSep 6, 202110,16216,362533.29
FloridaSep 5, 202111,13217,588573.23
FloridaSep 4, 202117,24917,867582.32
FloridaSep 3, 202117,12717,936584.59
FloridaSep 2, 202118,12218,546604.45
FloridaSep 1, 202121,56119,925649.42
FloridaAug 31, 202119,18619,905648.77

Might hold. The rest of the week could be great. 🤞

But, it also wouldn't surprise me at all if 9/7 and 9/8 are back over 17K. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think we'll know until after 9/14 what's really going on. The holiday changes in people's behavior really messes with the stats.

sullyinMT

National Cases:
View attachment 585456
Florida:
View attachment 585458

For FL the 7 day moving average dropped below 17K for the first time since July right around when WDW added back indoor masks. I don’t know what the plans are or if the case numbers stay trending down, but a mask free 50th is possible. I am sure that’s both exciting and frightening depending on who you ask 😷😷😷
Hopefully. May not end up being as drastic once backlogs settle out, but let's be cautiously optimistic about a coming drop.

I'm not as good at taking images from the CDC website, but hospital admissions (new and current) are both beginning to trend downward nationally, as well. Since hospitals report more "real time" data than some labs and even states, it does seem at least encouraging.

willtravel

The rumor at my office is that the company is planning to add a surcharge to the medical benefits for unvaccinated workers. Open enrollment starts in October and the company is requiring every employee sign an attestation to their vaccine status now and if people say they are vaccinated provide a copy of the vaccine card. The rumor is the surcharge may be around $100 per pay extra for the unvaccinated or $2,600 a year. I assume that if you get fully vaccinated between now and 1/1/22 you would get out of the extra charge next year. I also assume it will be done like the smoking charge where they will raise the base rate $100 a pay and then offer a discount of $100 for being vaccinated. I’d still prefer a straight vaccine mandate, but it makes sense that unvaccinated pay more since the cost of hospitalization is very high.
I just had a cussion with a friend who is not vaccinated. Her feeling is that her and husband had Covid so why should I (her) get vaccinated. She feels she should be tested for anti bodies and if showing good then there is no need for shot. I just listen. Her husband is paying $200 a month for not getting vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like a "double Sunday" value with the Holiday acting like a Sunday.

StateDateNew Cases7-Day Moving Avg7-Day Case Rate per 100k
FloridaSep 6, 202110,16216,362533.29
FloridaSep 5, 202111,13217,588573.23
FloridaSep 4, 202117,24917,867582.32
FloridaSep 3, 202117,12717,936584.59
FloridaSep 2, 202118,12218,546604.45
FloridaSep 1, 202121,56119,925649.42
FloridaAug 31, 202119,18619,905648.77

Might hold. The rest of the week could be great. 🤞

But, it also wouldn't surprise me at all if 9/7 and 9/8 are back over 17K. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think we'll know until after 9/14 what's really going on. The holiday changes in people's behavior really messes with the stats.
True, and even if the next 2 days are 18 or 19 thousand a day the 7 day average would still drop each day.

TrainsOfDisney

I just had a cussion with a friend who is not vaccinated. Her feeling is that her and husband had Covid so why should I (her) get vaccinated. She feels she should be tested for anti bodies and if showing good then there is no need for shot. I just listen. Her husband is paying $200 a month for not getting vaccinated.
I have a friend who claims she had covid so there is no reason to get a vaccine. She also says there is no science to support masks and distancing.

mmascari

True, but even if the next 2 days are 18 or 19 thousand a day the 7 day average would still drop each day.
Yup. But, it could be a blip. That's why I said after 9/14 we'll know for sure. That puts all 7 days after the holiday.

I don't mean the reporting is questionable here. I mean people behave differently around the holiday. They travel, they gather, they generally don't want to deal with getting tested on a weekend or holiday, they don't need to be at work, they can just ride it out at home. All the same stuff that happens on a Sunday when people want to just ignore it, only amped up for 2 days and worse since it's a holiday. The 2 days in a row gives it a larger impact to the 7 day average too than just 1 Sunday too.

Even if 9/7 is huge, that doesn't mean anything by itself either. It'll be pent up testing that was skipped the prior 2 days.

If it's a blip, we'll know for sure on 9/14, beyond the trend that gets us there.

If it's a real reduction, we'll see that trend stick and stay solid by 9/14 too. This would be wonderful. I'm just not going to celebrate it yet.

Time to sit back, wait for 9/14 to check the updated stats in between trying to buy a new iPhone.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Florida on Tuesday reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 10,162 more COVID-19 cases on Monday, according to Miami Herald calculations of CDC data. The state also reported no new deaths.

In all, Florida has recorded at least 3,364,998 confirmed COVID cases and 46,973 deaths.

In the last seven days, on average, the state has added 345 deaths and 16,364 cases to the cumulative total each day, according to Herald calculations of CDC data."

"There were 13,628 people hospitalized for COVID-19 in Florida on Tuesday, according to data reported to the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services from 229 Florida hospitals. That is 145 fewer patients than Monday’s COVID patient population. But, with only 229 hospitals reporting, that’s 59.5 patients per hospital reporting, compared to 54.2, 54.0 and 53.8 on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, respectively.

COVID-19 patients account for 25.42% of all hospital patients.

Of the people hospitalized in Florida, 3,095 people were in intensive care unit beds, a decrease of 89. That represents 47.38% of the state’s ICU hospital beds from 229 hospitals reporting data. The ICU patients per reporting hospital, however, rose from 12.4 to 13.5."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yup. But, it could be a blip. That's why I said after 9/14 we'll know for sure. That puts all 7 days after the holiday.

I don't mean the reporting is questionable here. I mean people behave differently around the holiday. They travel, they gather, they generally don't want to deal with getting tested on a weekend or holiday, they don't need to be at work, they can just ride it out at home. All the same stuff that happens on a Sunday when people want to just ignore it, only amped up for 2 days and worse since it's a holiday. The 2 days in a row gives it a larger impact to the 7 day average too than just 1 Sunday too.

Even if 9/7 is huge, that doesn't mean anything by itself either. It'll be pent up testing that was skipped the prior 2 days.

If it's a blip, we'll know for sure on 9/14, beyond the trend that gets us there.

If it's a real reduction, we'll see that trend stick and stay solid by 9/14 too. This would be wonderful. I'm just not going to celebrate it yet.

Time to sit back, wait for 9/14 to check the updated stats in between trying to buy a new iPhone.
For the National picture I agree 100%. For FL their 7 day average started trending down a week before the holiday weekend so I would hope that actually continues down, the holiday weekend may have exaggerated the fall. Nationally we didn’t see that downturn until recently which could be wiped out in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom