News Walt Disney World to resume sales of Annual Passes (New sales resume April 20, 2023)

Oddysey

Blockout Dates:

Pixel Dust Pass: Every Saturday-Sunday From October 2021 onward; Addtional: Oct 1,11; Nov 19,22-26, Dec 17,20-24;27-31; Jan 17; Feb 14; Mar 14-18;April 11-15,18-22;May 30; Jul 1,4; Sept 5; Oct 10;
Pirate Pass: Oct 1-3,9-11,23; Nov 19-22; Dec 4,17-31; Jan 1,15-17; Feb 12-14;Mar 12-19;April 9-23;May 28-30;Jul 1-4;Sept 3-5;Oct 8-10
Sorcerer Pass: Nov 24-27;Dec 18th-31st
Incredi-Pass: NONE

Thanks for the breakdown.

This may have been pointed out already, but this does not account for blockouts associated with the reservation system. The way I read it there will be few if any spontaneous trips unless you are in the $1299 tier. Interested to see how all this plays out for Disney.

CJR

The thing is, they don't want you there at all, so they really don't care if you're buying less. They plan to fill your seat in the restaurant with the "once in a lifetime" family for whom a several hundred dollar meal is a drop in the bucket as part of their $10,000 trip. They fully intend to make more money despite some APs spending less--by design.

Dare I say it? I've spent way more than $10K at Disney. Their loss, I guess. I'll go where I'm wanted and appreciated.

One could ask, if that's what they wanted, why are they not already there since the seats aren't full? It's their stupid decision.

Last edited:

BaymaxFan

I'm a local, about an hour away from WDW. I have been going to Disney my entire life and my family would always take mini 3 or 4 night vacations at Disney every year. We wouldn't buy park tickets though, we would always go swimming at the hotel (because we never had a pool at home, and still don't) or go to the waterparks. Ever since around 2013 we had the waterparks / DisneyQuest pass. From 2015-17 we would buy the FL resident 4 day ticket when they had a summer deal and would use it. By this time (2017) the mini vacations had expanded to week long ones, with a few one night or two night ones throughout the year. In January of 2018, we bought park passes for the very first time. We were silver passholders and still had the separate waterpark pass. Throughout 2018 we had a few one or two night vacations and had the annual week long one. The reason I keep bring up these vacations is because having a pass had no effect on how often we would stay. We just went there as a getaway from life, and to go swimming lol. In 2019 we did not have the week long vacation, but we did have a bunch of short ones. We would also go very often just for the day. Now fast forward to January 2020, the world hadn't gone completely downhill yet. We decided to take the big leap and upgrade to the Platinum Plus pass. Why? Because it included waterparks, photopass (something we never had before) and no block out dates. We went twice before the parks shut down. We only stayed the night once that year, in September when they were having the 40% deal. We stayed one night at Yacht Club, and guess what we did all day? Used the pool. We didn't go to the parks at all, even though Epcot was a few steps away. After the closures and a few issues, my pass ended up getting extended through the end of last month. The plan was to renew with Platinum Plus, but it was no longer an option. We went with Gold, because it was cheaper and it didn't make sense to pay so much more for Platinum when the only benefit was being able to go on spring and Christmas break, a very crowded time anyways. We don't have water park passes anymore which is a huge bummer. Since Blizzard Beach opened in March, we were milking the pass going almost every week before it expired. Even with typhoon being closed it was still a good deal to have a water park pass. Now looking at the new pass options, I can get any tier of pass and pay $99 extra to get the waterparks, which seems like a good deal to me, considering a standalone waterpark pass used to be more than that. The issue is the price, we paid $899 when we first switched to Platinum Plus. Now to have the Incredi-Pass, and add on the water parks and photopass, it would be $1499. That is a HUGE difference. I don't know if there will be any FL resident discounts but it's still a major difference.

Sorry for the long ramble, the point of my story is that having a pass did not make me want to stay on property more, something that Disney sees as a major money maker. And all of the changes happening makes me want to go even less. Passholders not staying and spending more money makes us useless in the current managements eyes.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'm a local, about an hour away from WDW. I have been going to Disney my entire life and my family would always take mini 3 or 4 night vacations at Disney every year. We wouldn't buy park tickets though, we would always go swimming at the hotel (because we never had a pool at home, and still don't) or go to the waterparks. Ever since around 2013 we had the waterparks / DisneyQuest pass. From 2015-17 we would buy the FL resident 4 day ticket when they had a summer deal and would use it. By this time (2017) the mini vacations had expanded to week long ones, with a few one night or two night ones throughout the year. In January of 2018, we bought park passes for the very first time. We were silver passholders and still had the separate waterpark pass. Throughout 2018 we had a few one or two night vacations and had the annual week long one. The reason I keep bring up these vacations is because having a pass had no effect on how often we would stay. We just went there as a getaway from life, and to go swimming lol. In 2019 we did not have the week long vacation, but we did have a bunch of short ones. We would also go very often just for the day. Now fast forward to January 2020, the world hadn't gone completely downhill yet. We decided to take the big leap and upgrade to the Platinum Plus pass. Why? Because it included waterparks, photopass (something we never had before) and no block out dates. We went twice before the parks shut down. We only stayed the night once that year, in September when they were having the 40% deal. We stayed one night at Yacht Club, and guess what we did all day? Used the pool. We didn't go to the parks at all, even though Epcot was a few steps away. After the closures and a few issues, my pass ended up getting extended through the end of last month. The plan was to renew with Platinum Plus, but it was no longer an option. We went with Gold, because it was cheaper and it didn't make sense to pay so much more for Platinum when the only benefit was being able to go on spring and Christmas break, a very crowded time anyways. We don't have water park passes anymore which is a huge bummer. Since Blizzard Beach opened in March, we were milking the pass going almost every week before it expired. Even with typhoon being closed it was still a good deal to have a water park pass. Now looking at the new pass options, I can get any tier of pass and pay $99 extra to get the waterparks, which seems like a good deal to me, considering a standalone waterpark pass used to be more than that. The issue is the price, we paid $899 when we first switched to Platinum Plus. Now to have the Incredi-Pass, and add on the water parks and photopass, it would be $1499. That is a HUGE difference. I don't know if there will be any FL resident discounts but it's still a major difference.

Sorry for the long ramble, the point of my story is that having a pass did not make me want to stay on property more, something that Disney sees as a major money maker. Passholders not staying and spending more money makes us useless in the current managements eyes.
fetchimage

wishiwere@wdw

They took away our purchase discount for the equivalent pass. So not only is TWDC 💩 on passholders in general, they are really dumping on Florida residents and blue card DVC members.
Exactly. And while we had no expectations or signed agreement for a DVC discount, it’s nearly always been there. They clearly don’t want DVC members clogging up the resorts during peak season and hope we instead shift to the lower pass and change visiting habits…. You know, when we basically can’t go as easily.

This will be extremely interesting to watch as DVC does have some swaying power; especially if a lot of owners toss their stake on the resale market which is exactly what we may end up doing. That could ultimately saturate the market and devalue their entire enterprise/scheme.

Ok…. Fine… probably getting a bit ahead of myself here but I do feel like this was already starting to happen.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Haven't seen this posted here, but it may be a repeat.

Seeing reports that Disney is only selling a fixed number of these, i.e. annual passes CAN sell out.

Where are you seeing that? That's actually pretty concerning.

Here's the specific wording -

"Annual Passes may be unavailable for purchase at any time."

Grumpy4196

Exactly. And while we had no expectations or signed agreement for a DVC discount, it’s nearly always been there. They clearly don’t want DVC members clogging up the resorts during peak season and hope we instead shift to the lower pass and change visiting habits…. You know, when we basically can’t go as easily.
Or more likely scenario is they want the DVC members to pay full price for their AP.

TimeTrip

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Dare I say it? I've spent way more than $10K at Disney. Their loss, I guess.

I've shelled out nearly $100K for my DVC points. And probably spend close to $1000 each time I stay in a DVC resort 5-7 times a year. More if I stay in a cash room. Add that to my pre-COVID 2 Disney cruises a year.

You'd think Chapek would want me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom