Are you buying Genie+

Will you buy Genie+

• Total voters

Oddysey

You really aren't going to have much choice when it comes down to it if you intend to ride attractions. A day without it is going to be problematic to say the least.

You are absolutely correct which is why I have no plans of going back to WDW. This from a person who made fond memories there as a child in the 1980s and later as an adult became a near 20 year local AP holder. I was already done in 2020 (prepandemic) as I watched the value proposition year after year continue to shift towards Disney's favor and away from consumer favor. I decided in 2019 I would not renew in 2020.

Despite being done as an AP holder in 2020, I was never completely finished with Disney as I hoped they may at some point give me a reason to visit again without feeling like a sucker. However, this program is the final nail in the coffin. I find no joy in typing this, but I am not going back.

Oddysey

I'm not sure. It's not because I am cheap or whatever reason certain people here like to propose when someone balks at an increase in price. ("You're just a poor who's angry you can't afford it and I caaaaannnn.") I don't want to wake up at 7 AM on my vacation to book rides. If I want to go on a LL attraction, I have to pay and I don't even have the ability to select the time I wish to ride. I expect this tackiness from Six Flags or Cedar Fair--this is déclassé for WDW.

You bring up another aspect of it that I can identify with. I am blessed enough to be able to afford it, but it is not worth the hassle to me. I remember the pre smart phone integration days where I used to leave my cell phone in my car before a day at the parks. Those were some of the most care free days in my life. I was in the Disney bubble and no person from the outside world was going to bother me while I was there.

I just don't think being tied to the Genie/schedule and my phone is any fun while on vacation. I am not sure that others who can afford it will enjoy this level of planning either. It simply is not fun.

DisAl

This is just another way to raise prices 10% without calling it a price increase. They want you to feel pressure to purchase G+ to prevent you from spending your whole already obscenely expensive day waiting in lines.
I don't care what they call it, if it costs more for the same experience it is a PRICE INCREASE!

Muffinpants

Original Poster
I wonder.. what is everyone's breaking point before purchasing genie +. If I notice most things over 45 min I'm buying it if it gets us on in a timely manner aka once in LL I'm on within 10 min.

Mark Dunne

oh you are sooo preaching to the choir and if they had to move toward a paid system, why couldn't they make it a flat say 50 bucks for your entire trip. at least pretend that they weren't trying to fleece people. I voted wait and see. Im pretty lucky in now my minions are college grads and pretending to be adults so we have a bit more flexibility in when we can go. We generally go late August/early September so we're hoping that the crowds will be naturally lower and we can get by with standby.
Actually I'm hoping it will be a complete failure and by 2023 it will be gone
I think it could actually be gone as you say, there's so much negative news around this, that i think they will bow to pressure and change it, maybe even released the news to say, wait for the reviews to roll in , and now they are, they must be worried that this will cause upset for us oldie fans, I've been going on and off since 93, and have loved every trip, but these last 6 months seems like there ripping the magic out , maybe mr iger spent to much with SW, and now we will all be paying for it now

eliza61nyc

I wonder.. what is everyone's breaking point before purchasing genie +. If I notice most things over 45 min I'm buying it if it gets us on in a timely manner aka once in LL I'm on within 10 min.
I think @NickMaio mentioned this but a lot will depend on the family. We generally go during September which is a slow (lol relative term ) time so we usual have a 30 minute wait. Plus being a return visitor we know the ins and outs. For me this is going to be a hard sell and it just rubs me wrong. my breaking point would probably be around 90 minutes but the thing is we would never go if we thought we were going to have that type of wait

Disstevefan1

Ok so I have purchased Genie + or a Lightning Lane - Then -
There is an app problem, crash, whatever
The attraction goes down.
The attraction goes down while I am riding it.
A storm closes an attraction.
Even an attraction is running in B mode.

When I did not pay to ride I did not care but now that I could be paying $20 a ride, its got to be perfect or I want my money back.

OG Runner

I will probably purchase the Genie+ for all of the days of my stay. (My next one is in January)
I do think, however, it will make me think twice before I plan my next trip. Over the last few
years items like adding a charge for resort parking, taking away the Magic Express, and now
the addition of Genie+. It is just a bit too much and has definitely reduced the "magic" in a
Disney trip for me.

NickMaio

I think @NickMaio mentioned this but a lot will depend on the family. We generally go during September which is a slow (lol relative term ) time so we usual have a 30 minute wait. Plus being a return visitor we know the ins and outs. For me this is going to be a hard sell and it just rubs me wrong. my breaking point would probably be around 90 minutes but the thing is we would never go if we thought we were going to have that type of wait
For us it would be average wait of 40+ minutes for rides.
If it got that bad we would probably cancel our May trip and wait a few years.
We have no problem walking from end to end if the Parks chasing lower wait times, we don't need to pay.
It's such a burn now.....especially with Rise now holding pay spots fir people it will be even harder to ride an already hard to get ride.
Perhaps when my boys are in college we will get to ride Rise.
I doubt WDW will cancel genie, but I hope it dies not last long.

NickMaio

I think it could actually be gone as you say, there's so much negative news around this, that i think they will bow to pressure and change it, maybe even released the news to say, wait for the reviews to roll in , and now they are, they must be worried that this will cause upset for us oldie fans, I've been going on and off since 93, and have loved every trip, but these last 6 months seems like there ripping the magic out , maybe mr iger spent to much with SW, and now we will all be paying for it now
Doubtfull, they paid a lot if money for this addition and software, they WILL use it and see what happens.

Last edited:

flempoby

I think my biggest issue with this MAY end up being the park hopping. What if I pay the $15 for the day and when I got to MK, all I can get are times that are in the afternoon, but I was planning to bounce over to Epcot for food at 2pm and I had actually made a reservation? I'd feel a bit like I wasted my money (yeah, I get it, it's a small amount for 1 day) if I ended up in stand-by all morning anyway. Sure, maybe I could use it for a ride once I got to Epcot, but I'm not going to feel better if I used my $15 to ride Nemo.

CaptainAmerica

I think my biggest issue with this MAY end up being the park hopping. What if I pay the $15 for the day and when I got to MK, all I can get are times that are in the afternoon, but I was planning to bounce over to Epcot for food at 2pm and I had actually made a reservation? I'd feel a bit like I wasted my money (yeah, I get it, it's a small amount for 1 day) if I ended up in stand-by all morning anyway. Sure, maybe I could use it for a ride once I got to Epcot, but I'm not going to feel better if I used my $15 to ride Nemo.
Why do you expect that everything at MK would be booked up for an entire morning?

Fordlover

No one is cancelling their Disney trip over a $15 charge. I won't believe it unless you post proof.
I think you are correct. However, this is just one more thing added to the pile. For some, at a point the pile just becomes too much to overcome. I'm still a bit sore at the charge for resort parking, and we stay at the campgrounds so I've never paid it, but it still just smells of BS to me.

Our last trip was nearly a year ago, and we enjoyed ourselves, but I was surprised by my disappointment since so many extra things were missing. These are small things like the water pageant, fireworks, live shows like VoTLM, FoTLK and Fantasmic. Without a doubt, I feel like our last trip we got the least bang for our buck.

Every time the wife and I discuss, we have zero plans to return to DW. That doesn't mean we won't, but certainly not any time soon. And we have more disposable income than we have ever had as well as the kids being perfect age to go.

All this being said, Disney knows they have a nearly limitless group of folks who will pay anything and put up with anything WDC can cook up and throw at them, so why stop dreaming up new way$$ to extract maximum coin?

CaptainAmerica

Our last trip was nearly a year ago, and we enjoyed ourselves, but I was surprised by my disappointment since so many extra things were missing. These are small things like the water pageant, fireworks, live shows like VoTLM, FoTLK and Fantasmic. Without a doubt, I feel like our last trip we got the least bang for our buck.
Those are all COVID problems though. I don't think they should be lumped in with dropping Magical Express or charging for resort parking.

Fordlover

Those are all COVID problems though. I don't think they should be lumped in with dropping Magical Express or charging for resort parking.
Agreed, but I still paid full price for the trip, no discount or extra benefit was offered to help make up for the significantly reduced offerings from the time we booked to the time of our visit. We'd booked and paid for the trip prior to the pandemic because Ft. Wilderness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom