Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casper Gutman

Cap is right in that it is a thing being used by people against the vaccine. “Look! You are vaccinated and you still insist on wearing a mask everywhere and want mask mandates for everyone, etc. You don’t believe the vaccine works!”
EVERYTHING is being used as an argument by antivaxxers. They are not acting in good faith. Watch how their arguments shift when the vaccines receive full approval this week. We need to stop hallucinating that we can have a meaningful conversation with antivaxxers - doing so has just legitimated their position. They need to be given a choice: get vaxxed or be almost entirely excluded from society.

And those people arguing against mask mandates, in school or elsewhere, better be all for vaccine mandates. Otherwise, they’re just destructively contrarian.

Virtual Toad

Still trying to find it. I read this probably around January.
Here is something kinda similar that the CDC released in May. In this study, while they found benefits for teachers wearing masks in schools, they could not find a benefit around children wearing them. Better HVAC systems helped too. Which makes sense.

A quote from the very document you just cited:

“COVID-19 incidence was 37% lower in schools that required teachers and staff members to use masks and 39% lower in schools that improved ventilation.”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
A quote from the very document you just cited:

“COVID-19 incidence was 37% lower in schools that required teachers and staff members to use masks and 39% lower in schools that improved ventilation.”
Yes. That’s what I just said. Teachers wearing masks. Better hvacs. Both helped according to the study. But the study couldn’t find a benefit from kids wearing masks. To be honest I’m having trouble finding any study that shows kids wearing masks in schools helped.

DisneyDebRob

Still trying to find it. I read this probably around January.
Here is something kinda similar that the CDC released in May. In this study, while they found benefits for teachers wearing masks in schools, they could not find a benefit around children wearing them. Better HVAC systems helped too. Which makes sense.

Thanks for that . I believe that more data has pointed to masking children in schools is very beneficial. I’ll include a link from the Mayo Clinic below from just 2 weeks ago.
I was more interested in any kind of study or survey or anything on most children wearing them wrong. I’ve found more adults actually wore them below the nose and other things more then I’ve encountered children of family and friends. I’m still looking and can’t find anything.

Lilofan

Yes. That’s what I just said. Teachers wearing masks. Better hvacs. Both helped according to the study. But the study couldn’t find a benefit from kids wearing masks. To be honest I’m having trouble finding any study that shows kids wearing masks in schools helped.
Better hvacs is a pipe dream for some. Some schools don't even have AC in all areas.

DonniePeverley

image.thumb.jpeg.8d8a5c44411d59bf81cb661e93980261.jpeg

Archie123

The data support N95 masks worn by trained professionals in a clinical setting. Cloth masks worn by children in a classroom setting are entirely useless.

Nice try but you still have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about. Masks absolutely work. There are some masks that are better than others but all masks are better than wearing nothing and will help stop the spread of Covid.

Casper Gutman

No kidding. But a bunch of adults don’t want to get vaccinated so here we are.
Yup. Honestly, the school masking debate is a (tragic) sideshow, although one with huge impact for children and parents. The distraction may actually benefit politicians who want to avoid discussing vaccine mandates. The main debate now should be how harsh the penalties for vaccine refusers need to be.

Timmay

Just for clarification, what does 'improperly' mean? What are they doing wrong?
More anecdotal evidence here, but I’ve spoken to a teacher friend who has said it’s a nightmare. Masks wet and caked with snot, milk, food…constantly touching under them and pulling them down…trying each other’s cool masks on.

I’m sure there are some that don’t do this, but pretending it’s not happening by people that don’t spend all day with the kids is misguided.

Virtual Toad

Alrighty then. But the document also says this:

“Universal and correct mask use is still recommended by CDC for adults and children in schools regardless of vaccination status (2).”

And this:

“Until vaccines are available for children aged <12 years, universal and correct mask use is a critical prevention strategy CDC recommends that schools prioritize regardless of vaccination status for in-person learning (2).”

Nowhere did the article say that mask wearing did not have a beneficial effect. And if you believe the first document from the CDC, then this CDC document must also have at least a smidgen of validity:

“CDC recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.”

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Alrighty then. But the document also says this:

“Universal and correct mask use is still recommended by CDC for adults and children in schools regardless of vaccination status (2).”

And this:

“Until vaccines are available for children aged <12 years, universal and correct mask use is a critical prevention strategy CDC recommends that schools prioritize regardless of vaccination status for in-person learning (2).”

Nowhere did the article say that mask wearing did not have a beneficial effect. And if you believe the first document from the CDC, then this CDC document must also have at least a smidgen of validity:

“CDC recommends universal indoor masking for all teachers, staff, students, and visitors to K-12 schools, regardless of vaccination status.”

I get what the article and study says. And I know the CDC recommendations. But again. Could find no benefit for requiring children to wear them.
Here is a news article on the survey that calls out my point.

“The study found no statistically significant difference in schools that required mask-wearing for children compared to schools where it was optional for kids.”

Virtual Toad

I get what the article and study says. And I know the CDC recommendations. But again. Could find no benefit for requiring children to wear them.
Here is a news article on the survey that calls out my point.

“The study found no statistically significant difference in schools that required mask-wearing for children compared to schools where it was optional for kids.”
Yes, I believe this is what you are referring to from the Georgia study:

“The study found no statistically significant difference in schools that required mask-wearing for children compared to schools where it was optional for kids.
Despite more states dropping mask mandates following guidancefrom the CDC which said fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear them in many instances, the report still said that mask-wearing in elementary schools is "critical" for preventing COVID-19 transmission.

"Universal and correct mask use is still recommended by CDC for adults and children in schools regardless of vaccination status," the report stated.”

And from the CDC article you originally cited:

“The 21% lower incidence in schools that required mask use among students was not statistically significant compared with schools where mask use was optional. This finding might be attributed to higher effectiveness of masks among adults, who are at higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection but might also result from differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements.”

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
What peeves me is so many hospital workers who haven’t.
The nursing home my father in law is in just fired 6 CNAs that wouldn't get the vaccine and shifted the work load to the 14 that were left causing 6 of them to walk out. Now they have 8 people trying to do the job of 20. I think they should all be vaccinated but medical staff is hard to come by these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom