Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

Myth Maker

I hate this whole thing, the real problem is that rides only have X amount of capacity and they are letting way too many people into the parks.

So one option is to go back to restricting capacity, raise the gate price and continue with the stand-by lines.

I would much rather pricing be more transparent and allow different options, sort of how ticket books used to be in the past.

Here would be an example: (pricing is made up of course)
A) Non-Rider Pass - $100
Enjoy the shows, shops and walking attractions.

B) Basic Rider Pass - $150
Ride all of our main attractions, with non-priority access. ** Note some of our most popular attractions may not be available with this pass

C) Priority Rider Pass - $250
Enjoy all of our attractions including our newest attractions such as Rise of the Resistance. Enjoy priority access at all other attractions.

Then limit the number of C and B level passes that are available on any given day to actually meet attraction capacity. So if you know Rise for example can serve 1000 guest per hour * 8 hours open then sell only 8000 level C passes for that day.

Or just screw it all and make all attractions a ticket again to deal with capacity. This half in convoluted system that they came up with is the worst of all worlds.

ImperfectPixie

The choice still exists, and the consequences are much the same as I experienced in 1991: aimlessness is less efficient than planning. Some may prefer that, and that’s their right.
I'm not sure I would call it aimlessness...when I planned our honeymoon at WDW in 2000, the only rigid planning available was reserving our room and making dining reservations. Having not been to WDW since 1987, I made a few breakfast and dinner reservations that seemed like they'd be enjoyable (they were!), and I knew ahead of time that there were some activities we wanted to take part in (renting Sea Raycers, for example). Aside from that, every day was very much a "Where do we feel like going today?" situation. We didn't stress about FPs (although we did use them for a few of the bigger rides). There was not a single iota of real or perceived pressure about anything.

This isn't to say that I didn't research - I absolutely did! That was the first year I used the Unofficial Guide. It's because the vast majority of our days didn't have specific time slots with specific rides/activities in them. THIS is where I think Disney made a HUGE mistake...by using such a regimented and rigid system that needed a time attached to everything, the experience suffered.

GimpYancIent

I hate this whole thing, the real problem is that rides only have X amount of capacity and they are letting way too many people into the parks.

So one option is to go back to restricting capacity, raise the gate price and continue with the stand-by lines.

I would much rather pricing be more transparent and allow different options, sort of how ticket books used to be in the past.

A) Non-Rider Pass - $100

Ride all of our main attractions, with non-priority access. ** Note some of our most popular attractions may not be available with this pass

Enjoy all of our attractions including our newest attractions such as Rise of the Resistance. Enjoy priority access at all other attractions.

Then limit the number of C and B level passes that are available on any given day to actually meet attraction capacity. So if you know Rise for example can serve 1000 guest per hour * 8 hours open then sell only 8000 level C passes for that day.

Or just screw it all and make all attractions a ticket again to deal with capacity. This half in convoluted system that they came up with is the worst of all worlds.
At the rate things are evolving the last thing that will be of concern will be letting too many people in the park. Soon the focus will have to shift to enticing people to come to the parks.

Myth Maker

I'm not sure I would call it aimlessness...when I planned our honeymoon at WDW in 2000, the only rigid planning available was reserving our room and making dining reservations. Having not been to WDW since 1987, I made a few breakfast and dinner reservations that seemed like they'd be enjoyable (they were!), and I knew ahead of time that there were some activities we wanted to take part in (renting Sea Raycers, for example). Aside from that, every day was very much a "Where do we feel like going today?" situation. We didn't stress about FPs (although we did use them for a few of the bigger rides). There was not a single iota of real or perceived pressure about anything.

This isn't to say that I didn't research - I absolutely did! That was the first year I used the Unofficial Guide. It's because the vast majority of our days didn't have specific time slots with specific rides/activities in them. THIS is where I think Disney made a HUGE mistake...by using such a regimented and rigid system that needed a time attached to everything, the experience suffered.
I agree, I loved the original fastpass because for example you walked over to the Jungle Cruise and noticed it had a long wait. So you grabbed a Fast Pass that said come back in an hour. So you hung out in Adventure Land and enjoyed the Tiki Room, maybe the magic carpets, took a stroll up the Swiss Family tree house, and then look... my time is up and you rode the Jungle Cruise. This is how I remember my Disney Experience before Fast Pass+ ...

With Fast Pass+ it was running all over the park to different time slots and never really feeling immersed in the experience.

LittleBuford

I’m somewhat puzzled by the negative reaction. Those of us who really enjoyed using FastPass+ have every reason to dislike this replacement, but most people here were calling for a system that entailed greater spontaneity (along the lines of the old paper FastPasses) and that would have fewer users than FP+ (because of the belief that the latter inflates standby lines). Doesn’t this new system tick both of those boxes?

CaptainAmerica

I’m somewhat puzzled by the negative reaction. Those of us who really enjoyed using FastPass+ have every reason to dislike this replacement, but most people here were calling for a system that entailed greater spontaneity (along the lines of the old paper FastPasses) and that would have fewer users than FP+ (because of the belief that the latter inflates standby lines). Doesn’t this new system tick both of those boxes?
Most people: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, I hate planning 60 days in advance.

Same exact people: RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE, how could they get rid of the thing that let me plan 60 days in advance?

Mr. Moderate

The analogy that I believe describes the current situation: you buy a ticket to a baseball game for $100. Included in this ticket is a hot dog, nachos and a drink. You have been buying this same seat for multiple seasons. On the next homestand, you get the same seat-except now, team/stadium management has removed the food from the price of your seat, so now you pay $100 for the same seat, and have to pay the extra $20 for the food. You still have the option to pay more for better seats, but you are now paying more to get the same thing you got before with the purchase of the seat you currently have.

I really like your analogy, but let me tweak it to fit the current management at Disney and what's going on.

For a $100 ticket to the game, which is now more expensive with each passing year, at the same old stadium which you loved, transportation to and from the stadium was included. Which was a nicely themed company themed bus, but that perk has now been dropped and customers are now on their own to find away to the game. However there's a shuttle from an outside company that will charge you $20 dollars each way and the service won't be as good or make you feel part of the team experience. Management has halted or slowed the many improvement projects around the stadium that have been going for a couple of years now and only the die hard fans defend this, but even they're getting tired of seeing the construction walls.

The food you used to get along with the price of your ticket is now discontinued and you have to pay for it, but you won't get the hot dog, nachos, and a drink, which was fan favorite. The team owners decided to offer a shrimp casserole that no one wanted and isn't worth the money, but they will present it on social media as a team inspired option and the die hard fans will of course act like paid shills and say they love it. After some push back the management brought back some of the favorite foods, but the hot dog is smaller, you get a few chips, and a smaller beer, but only comes in an after hours paid for event, which you can pay for on your phone with a nifty sounding ap.

The management also laid off a large percentage of the dedicated staff and groundkeepers which made going to stadium a great experience. While they were at it, the managment replaced much of the infield talent with minor leaguers, which won't offer the same thrilling play you were used to. However and good news for them, the upper management was retained and their yearly bonuses weren't impacted.

Now that business has picked up, the same management is struggling to hire more staff back because the pay is crap, the hours are long, and everyone clearly saw how the former cast members were treated. Oops....

Enjoy the ball game.

aliceismad

A) Non-Rider Pass - $100

Except that part of the model, at WDW at least, is to try to get people to stay there for more days. More days = hotel stays, food costs, and more potential to sell merch. If you tier pricing that way, people will pay the expensive price for 1 day, ride all the things like maniacs, and then maybe not even go back to do the other things because they're exhausted from their park-crashing.

dreday3

I'm assuming it's the money it costs. Leaving a bad taste in people's mouths to have to pay for what was once free.

CaptainAmerica

Except that part of the model, at WDW at least, is to try to get people to stay there for more days. More days = hotel stays, food costs, and more potential to sell merch. If you tier pricing that way, people will pay the expensive price for 1 day, ride all the things like maniacs, and then maybe not even go back to do the other things because they're exhausted from their park-crashing.
WDW would much rather have more guests staying fewer days each than fewer guests staying more days each.

Two families staying for 4 nights each buy more total merch and F&B than a single family staying for 8 nights.

rawisericho

There's the obvious fix of building more rides in the three of four parks have way too few attractions to offer any of these systems effectively. Even Genie+ is going to have the same problem at those three parks.

I don't go without buying a 7-10 day ticket or an AP, so my cost has always been considerably less per day. I'm honestly not sure what price would 'price me out'.

Any of the band-aid solutions aren't going to provide customer satisfaction with so few attractions in the 'other three' parks, so the argument that this is 'better than FP+' is almost a straw man.
Or......

(And I know has been suggested constantly for the past 22 years and always shut down)

They could build a fifth gate. If the issue is that there are too many people in the resorts and they're not building rides, keep the hotel rooms the same and build a fifth park. In theory you would reduce congestion in the other parks by 20%. I understand that they're super cheap and not interested in creating anything new but that's the obvious fix for the "We have too many people!!" problem.

ImperfectPixie

IF the Genie+ part included all the rides and "surge pricing" wasn't a thing, I don't think I'd be as angry.

I despise surge pricing and pay-to-play/pay-to-win. Both should be illegal, IMO.

The lesser hourly capacity even with a 30% increase in attendance really grinds my gears, too.

LittleBuford

But you can still visit without planning. Plenty of guests do just that, as we all know from having overheard first-timers asking such questions as “Where is Harry Potter?”

I think the real issue is the loss of quiet periods—now it’s always busy, and without planning, you’re likely to lose much of your time to queues. But I would argue that’s always been the case on really crowded days.

CaptainAmerica

In theory you would reduce congestion in the other parks by 20%.
Nope. A fifth gate would increase total crowd levels by more than 20%, making things more crowded, not less. And those crowds would disproportionately visit the Magic Kingdom. And they would disproportionately want to be on Main Street at Fireworks time.

Bringing more total people to Walt Disney World puts additional strain on the spots that are already pinch points.

DCLcruiser

I'm assuming it's the money it costs. Leaving a bad taste in people's mouths to have to pay for what was once free.
This is just how it goes.

We used to get free checked bags on flights and decent meals. (I remember lasagna for a flight to Florida). Now you pay to check a bag, and pay for a meal outside of chips.

...But at the same time, I don't check bags, so I save money.

aliceismad

I agree, I loved the original fastpass because for example you walked over to the Jungle Cruise and noticed it had a long wait. So you grabbed a Fast Pass that said come back in an hour. So you hung out in Adventure Land and enjoyed the Tiki Room, maybe the magic carpets, took a stroll up the Swiss Family tree house, and then look... my time is up and you rode the Jungle Cruise. This is how I remember my Disney Experience before Fast Pass+ ...

With Fast Pass+ it was running all over the park to different time slots and never really feeling immersed in the experience.
I feel completely the opposite. I planned my FPs specifically to try to minimize walking because our kiddo has been small and we didn't want to exhaust her.
WDW would much rather have more guests staying fewer days each than fewer guests staying more days each.

Two families staying for 4 nights each buy more total merch and F&B than a single family staying for 8 nights.
Interesting. Then why continue dropping ticket prices for people who stay beyond nights/days?

Waters Back Side

Yes, the truly high demand rides are going to be comparatively much more expensive to pay for and will have many fewer guests buying those LL passes. I just can’t see a lot of families buying those for everyone- it’s easier to just buy the $15 product which includes a lot of rides (if one is inclined to buy something) and then suck it up for long lines for a few rides each park.

if the highest end price is $24 dollars it wont be fewer gusts buying. They will jump on them. That was the number floating around even though not confirmed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom