Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

UNCgolf

I think people are really overestimating the time they will be spending in the morning. If you choose to, you can log on and try for a boarding group, pick your first lightning lane ride and/or the two you want to pay for. You aren't selecting a day's worth of passes.

It's having to wake up that early at all, especially on every day of the trip, that's a problem for a lot of people.

Deanieb59

For previous discussion about Disney Genie, see the original thread - Disney Genie digital assistant app coming to Walt Disney World and FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

This is the new thread as of August 18 with confirmed details.

Disney Genie launch announcement

Disney Genie, Genie+ Frequently Asked Questions FAQ
Sorry if this was asked already but any more specific date or timeframe besides "Fall"??

mf1972

They arent listening they shut down the comments section on the Disney Parks Blog yesterday.
chapek heard people. here’s his response.
286CB6ED-41FC-4670-B132-32FBB75C7DFF.jpeg

pray that i don’t alter free perks any further
(if there’s any left)

ChrisM

It was confirmed by @lentesta and @wdwmagic. There will be two attractions per park that are available for a la carte purchase, at least initially.

- Space Mountain and Mine Train
- Test Track and Ratatouille
- Rise of the Resistance and Slinky
- Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris

The "paid only" roster will likely remain small for a while (although it wouldn't surprise me to see brand new rides be additive to the paid only list, and not act as replacements), but my guess is that the first evolution of what was announced will be that the current Genie+ slate of rides will also have paid options available once all of the free slots have been taken.

dovetail65

I’m sure Disney is eager to get rid of riffraff guests like myself to make room for other guests with deeper pockets.

As a local, I would often bring my young children to Disney 1 to 2 times a week. I would get our three fast passes, we would do those three, and then maybe a show or an additional ride if the line wasn’t too long. It was a great way for the kids and I to get out of the house, get some fresh air, get some exercise, and have lots of fun as a family.

I’m a SAHM and my husband is a performer at Disney, so we aren’t exactly rolling in dough. I certainly cannot justify spending $45 1 to 2 times a week just to ride some rides in the same fashion we used to do so for free. And the idea of waiting in three or four standby lines with young children by myself doesn’t exactly sound like the most fun way to spend our little outing. So overall, this kind of bums me out. I get it, Disney is a business, and they have the right to make these kind of changes, and I’m free to take my meager pennies elsewhere. And I if I were a visitor from out of state making a once in a lifetime trip, or even a once a year trip to Disney, I would be OK with it probably. After all, I’ve been known to purchase the fast pass options at parks like Dollywood and Six Flags. But I also try to only go to parks like Six Flags in Dollywood during their slow season when there is no need for a fastpass. The problem is you pretty much “need“ a fastpass at Disney all year long.

so while I’m going to take the wait and see approach as to how this is actually implemented and how it affects our park trips to Disney before completely bashing it, I have a feeling that our weekly day trips are going to suffer in quality, and it might just be the end of an era for my family. Oh well.
Well no matter what its an end of an era because even if it worked flawlessly it has to be paid for. Second, some people don't like getting up at 7am, so there being no lije the old FP, but actually still having to make same day reservations is a different era. I do not understand the concept of reservations on the same day. Imagine if we had to make our dinner reservations or hotel ir airplane reservations the same day. Ita like Disney was stuck, if they just made a lighting pass they would be like Universal so they actually kept the part of the old system they claim they wanted to get rid if but make us do it that day, its stupid. They just made it this way to be different it's not better.

Just let me pay then go to the express lines as I wish, there is no need for reservations on a same day system.

Definitely the end if an era that I will remember fondly and so glad we took those trips then.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It was confirmed by @lentesta and @wdwmagic. There will be two attractions per park that are available for a la carte purchase, at least initially.

- Space Mountain and Mine Train
- Test Track and Ratatouille
- Rise of the Resistance and Slinky
- Flight of Passage and Kilimanjaro Safaris

I didnt see anything about Frozen being part of Genie +. Soarin is as is Navi and the others you mentioned.
Frozenstrom and Rat
Rise and MMRR.
FoP and Everest.

Possibly.

Missing20K

Lightning lane rides are only the NON eligible Genie + rides. If you cant get a lightning pass with Genie + (which is the majority of rides) you pay for access to the lightning lane..these appear to only be Slinky, Test Track, Frozen, Remy, 7DMT and Space Mountian.
My point is if you don’t get the BG or in the standby VQ before they run out, your only option is to pay extra for the Tier 1.

UNCgolf

Most FP lines skip some stuff.

There aren't any FP lines that skip a ride's preshow, at least that I'm aware of.

I'm talking about when they used to send people straight to the ride on RotR and skip the preshow, which is a fundamental part of the attraction IMO.

M:SpilotISTC12

I think the part that gets me is when this doesn't solve the crowd issue and raise the prices as frequently as the ticket prices. Seasonal pricing has to be around the corner if not off the hop. There is no way it just stays at this "value".

Bocabear

Wow Cash Grab Much? So 50k guests at WDW Resort on a not so busy day will net 750k extra profit from the getgo... Add paid attractions on top of that and it would be well over an extra million a day.

UNCgolf

You may find you don't need to unless you are eager to pay for one of the paid lightning pass attractions.

I agree. Since people are only able to book one FP at a time, it probably won't be a serious issue. It's not like people are going to wake up at 7 and book three (or more) and have everything gone for the day by 7:30.

It's still annoying, though. There's no reason they couldn't wait until park opening time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom