Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

I didn't know that fully vaccinated people needed to mask indoors when together either.

I would never think of masking up at a get together with my fully vaccinated family/friends.
Same. Nor in the carpool I drove today with all vaccinated kids.

Having said that, my county is Orange now. If it was more reddish, that would likely change. I’m not sure how red would make me change, just a little over the line, or something more fire engine red that passed the line long ago and never looked back, like the FL numbers.

Polkadotdress

You're confusing two things I think. Some are asking small group of vaccinated. Indoors at Disney is because in public one should mask and such no matter status when in substantial or high transmission areas. If you are in a low transmission area, for now indoors, out, public, private etc you don't have to mask. Indoors with a small group that we know are vaccinated? one wouldn't have to either as that's not "public" really at all.
But this is exactly why there is likely so much transmission on that ship in the crew. They are all vaxx’d, intermingling with passengers who are “mostly” vaxx’d, and also intermingling with whomever onshore. So, when they are together, off duty, they are likely being lax, and unknowingly spreading the virus to one another. Remember, they are masked at all times while working on the ship.

correcaminos

But this is exactly why there is likely so much transmission on that ship in the crew. They are all vaxx’d, intermingling with passengers who are “mostly” vaxx’d, and also intermingling with whomever onshore. So, when they are together, off duty, they are likely being lax, and unknowingly spreading the virus to one another. Remember, they are masked at all times while working on the ship.
I wasn't even talking cruise ships. But since you are.... if these workers are hanging out in higher transmission areas then they should be masked. Full stop. Since we actually have no idea what cruise ships are like they should be considered "in public" and thus masking IMO, as much as it sucks, indoors. None of this at all is against the CDC that I quoted nor, if followed, would be the cause as you are stating.

Anyone who doesn't follow the guidelines will be an issue. All of the examples you gave are "in public" That's not at all the same as the examples many were giving above.

sullyinMT

You guys…remember I’m also immunocompromised, so I’m always thinking about exposure.

It just seems obvious that the “weak link” for the crew is while they are off duty.
That's true, and I'd like to see how NCL fares if they can get going 100% vaxxed.

It can't be good to have 25+ crew out for any length of time, though I'm not sure what the answer is there. When off duty, they are - in a way - home. Whether in crew quarters, mess, or letting off steam at the crew bar (the latter being a place of eating/drinking, though public). The good news (so far) is that they're asymptomatic. I'm sure a few will pop symptoms if not on this sailing then another. Hopefully transmission goes down soon overall, reducing risk everywhere from Fishlips on the pier to actually on the ship.

Your previous point, about shore leave interactions, is likely just as much a spreader event. I'd also hedge bets on the "mostly vaxxed" passenger model. As much as it sucks that it would put our family in the ineligible to sail column, fully-vaccinated ships are an absolute must for the foreseeable future.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
That's true, and I'd like to see how NCL fares if they can get going 100% vaxxed.

It can't be good to have 25+ crew out for any length of time, though I'm not sure what the answer is there. When off duty, they are - in a way - home. Whether in crew quarters, mess, or letting off steam at the crew bar (the latter being a place of eating/drinking, though public). The good news (so far) is that they're asymptomatic. I'm sure a few will pop symptoms if not on this sailing then another. Hopefully transmission goes down soon overall, reducing risk everywhere from Fishlips on the pier to actually on the ship.

Your previous point, about shore leave interactions, is likely just as much a spreader event. I'd also hedge bets on the "mostly vaxxed" passenger model. As much as it sucks that it would put our family in the ineligible to sail column, fully-vaccinated ships are an absolute must for the foreseeable future.
I guess soon Federal transportation mandate will lift masks for trains, buses and planes by next month or so like Amtrak and NJ Transit.

sullyinMT

I guess soon Federal transportation mandate will lift masks for trains, buses and planes by next month or so like Amtrak and NJ Transit.
Not at our current infection rate. I fully expect DOT & CDC to extend the transportation mandate. If our declines heading into and through June would have continued, then maybe. Expect an extension for at least 60, if not 90 days.

mmascari

When off duty, they are - in a way - home. Whether in crew quarters, mess, or letting off steam at the crew bar (the latter being a place of eating/drinking, though public).
I think this is where it’s gets strange. For a fully vaccinated ships crew, when off duty and in crew only areas, are they “home”, “in public”, or something else.

The mixed passengers and air shared between areas doesn’t help.

The size of the crew vs a normal household doesn’t help either.

What really makes a home a home for the guideline differences. Knowing the vaccinated status, group size, shared air, more things.

Most of us don’t live in that kind of scenario.

carolina_yankee

Are masks recommended when socializing with other fully vaxxed friends?

Currently, yes when indoors.

The distinction is if you are in a high transmission area or a large crowd of people you don’t know (public gatherings).

For friends who are vaccinated and hanging out together, masking is not necessary according to the CDC but could be a good idea.

We don’t mask with friends, and I don’t mask with my vaccinated co-workers. I do mask with my unvaccinated co-workers since they have to mask, and it seems only fair (as well as wise).

sullyinMT

I think this is where it’s gets strange. For a fully vaccinated ships crew, when off duty and in crew only areas, are they “home”, “in public”, or something else.

The mixed passengers and air shared between areas doesn’t help.

The size of the crew vs a normal household doesn’t help either.

What really makes a home a home for the guideline differences. Knowing the vaccinated status, group size, shared air, more things.

Most of us don’t live in that kind of scenario.
Yeah. I never worked on a ship and wasn't in the Navy. But is seems like a weird hybrid between an apartment, a dorm, and a hostel. Or maybe a WeWork type environment. It's great for a week as a vacationer (for us). I can't imagine living in their situation for months.

I guess I was just alluding to the fact that they (crew) must be allowed mask free time somehow, and not just when in their quarters. Especially when factoring in their long work hours.

I tend to think the best answer lies in 100% vaxxed passengers and crew, plus a shore activity bubble. Nothing is perfect, of course, but the aim must be to get better than what just happened.

This same situation ruined scout camp for my kid two weeks ago (we never left the house). A vaccine bubble wouldn't have prevented all cases and spread, but might have spared the experience for the last 4 weeks of scheduled campers.

TrainsOfDisney

But if that were the case, then there would’ve been more guests effected in this outbreak. The fact that it is 95% crew seems to indicate it spread amongst the crew.
Maybe. I would think crew would have more interactions with guests then fellow guests do. Even in normal times I don’t remember many interactions with guests on cruises... but I remember many interactions with crew members.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe. I would think crew would have more interactions with guests then fellow guests do. Even in normal times I don’t remember many interactions with guests on cruises... but I remember many interactions with crew members.
I would think the majority of the crew never interacts with guests. Lots of people cooking and cleaning and maintaining the ship. Similar to a hotel where most of the staff isn’t direct customer facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom