Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedijax719

I actually found the article he was referring to:

And here is a scientist's response to the idea that "leaky" vaccines will make the virus worse:

Also relevant:

I understand the basic principle behind the worry over the vaccine-caused mutations. However, it is no way near the risk created from the overuse of antibiotics. The idea that rogue viruses can get through the guard of vaccine-induced immunity and, thus, mutate and cause new strains is something that is a risk no matter what. The variants came about regardless of vaccines. If anything, the whole idea of vaccines would more likely reduce the amount of variants (if enough people are vaccinated). Antibiotic resistance is a "survival of the fittest" sped up millions of times. So, the idea is there but the application is just not the same.

LittleBuford

I understand the basic principle behind the worry over the vaccine-caused mutations. However, it is no way near the risk created from the overuse of antibiotics. The idea that rogue viruses can get through the guard of vaccine-induced immunity and, thus, mutate and cause new strains is something that is a risk no matter what. The variants came about regardless of vaccines. If anything, the whole idea of vaccines would more likely reduce the amount of variants (if enough people are vaccinated). Antibiotic resistance is a "survival of the fittest" sped up millions of times. So, the idea is there but the application is just not the same.
Just to be clear, I'm not endorsing the concern over "leaky" vaccinations in any way; quite the opposite! I just wish individuals like Joe Rogan would exercise their influence responsibly and not engage in fearmongering.

JoeCamel

Did you get the newer Shingrix vax? That one seems on par with Covid 19.

“In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 97% effective in preventing shingles; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 91% effective. In adults 50 to 69 years old who got two doses, Shingrix was 91% effective in preventing PHN; among adults 70 years and older, Shingrix was 89% effective.”

I did not, it was before it was available so much less. I will get the Shingrix next year I think

mellyf

As I said, I’m only speculating. Short of a scientific poll, we’ll never know how many people find it strange that Disney is still opening its doors to tens of thousands of visitors while the state of Florida faces an unprecedented health crisis. I for one can’t fully comprehend it, and I’m more than a little disappointed in Disney.
I agree, and I have to say that I'm even more disappointed in Universal (which I love) for only "encouraging" masks.

correcaminos

By the time I got to college I know it was required. I had an exemption for it because I was supposed to get a booster and my doctor was like, "nope".
I'm pretty sure it was required by the time my kid made it to K. So wouldn't be surprised if required for colleges.

That's the thing that gets me about all this. Outside of people like you obviously, the ones who do not vaccinate tend to be on the "natural is best" side. All these anti-vax covid people are the ones who have been vaccinated for everything under the sun. But this, somehow, is too much.

Rumrunner

’Incompetent so-called scientist’ And what is your competency to determine that Dr. Fauci is both incompetent and not a scientist?

People can have their own opinions, but not their own facts, and having an opinion doesn’t make it right especially if its based on spurious facts.
I wonder when these so called scientist are going to recommend we close the Southern Border. Surely Fauci understands that is a problem but he has been silent.
Thousands of covid infected people coming across daily. It is a danger to this nation. Those of us that live in Texas are very concerned about this situation.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fauci still has to answer for funding the Wuhan lab-4 redacted pages is a dodge. I remember Fauci telling us masks do not work-now he says wear two mask.
I remember Fauci say early in the process that cruises were fine and you should not be afraid to take a cruise.
Fauci even played down some effective therapy treatments-I say in those cases follow the money.

I have no confidence in Fauci or the CDC and that is my choice. Our science experts and their community have failed this nation.

It is rather pathetic to watch how a difference of opinion is treated on this site-it is pounce and attempt to bully.

You really need to do some research and not just listen to the anti-Fauci talking points. For example Fauci never said masks don't work.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Fox misinformation at it's finest. Back to Tucker
It’s a legit concern for some border communities. So not really misinformation. Here’s one example from august 4.

“According to the city of McAllen, since mid-February of 2021, there have been over 7,000 confirmed COVID-19 positive immigrants released into the City of McAllen by CBP, including over 1,500 new cases in the past seven days.”

jlhwdw

Fauci still has to answer for funding the Wuhan lab-4 redacted pages is a dodge. I remember Fauci telling us masks do not work-now he says wear two mask.
I remember Fauci say early in the process that cruises were fine and you should not be afraid to take a cruise.
Fauci even played down some effective therapy treatments-I say in those cases follow the money.

I have no confidence in Fauci or the CDC and that is my choice. Our science experts and their community have failed this nation.

It is rather pathetic to watch how a difference of opinion is treated on this site-it is pounce and attempt to bully.
You realize there is an ebb and flow to things, right? None of this is black and white.

Guidance is issued as we learn more and as things evolve and change.

There's difference of opinion and there's the sharing of blatantly false information to fit a narrative.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I'm curious - what's closed - anywhere in the country?

We know enough about this disease to know that virtually nothing has to close in order to be safe. We're safe by a) getting vaccinated, b) masking, c) distancing. Along with that is reducing the amount of time you are in confined areas with other people.

Florida's numbers are a scandal, but they aren't high because theme parks are open. They are high because people are making stupid choices. Including Disney, for pretending that the honor system worked.

Unless people are going to cough up the $$$ to cover workers salaries, absolutely nothing should close again. That will just create a different problem. Last year, when we didn't have vaccines and didn't know enough about how COVID spread, it was different.

While Orange County has about as many COVID cases as my entire most densely populated state, we have found that those who follow common sense are safe. My congregation has been open for services for over a year now - following guidelines - with the county per capita rate at one point equivalent to Florida's today - not a single incident of COVID spread.

Disney may well have to cut back capacity and socially distance again, but they do not have to close.

The scandal is that we know how to be safe, and we don't require people to take those steps. I'm all in favor of vaccine mandates and, if necessary, the choice of passports or testing.
So let’s all congregate at the busiest entertainment complex in the country. I don’t care what anyone else says. It shouldn’t be open right now.

Lilofan

So let’s all congregate at the busiest entertainment complex in the country. I don’t care what anyone else says. It shouldn’t be open right now.
August 12 is the next TWDC public earnings call w/ Wall Street. During Q&A if this question is directed at Chapek, let's hear his response.

kong1802

This is just insane. Anyone fighting against vaccines and masks should be straight up ashamed of themselves right now.

720E081B-43B8-469B-9B34-9DF3511CFC49.jpeg

correcaminos

August 12 is the next TWDC public earnings call w/ Wall Street. During Q&A if this question is directed at Chapek, let's hear his response.
Reality here? The state as a whole is a problem. To try to pin it on just one company isn't fair. Disney will say they are safest wearing masks and such. Vaccinating employees. They'll look like (to the majority) that they are doing enough. Compared to evil competitor they'll look like a golden child. Feel as you wish about "shutting things down" but the problem isn't just one company.

Lilofan

Reality here? The state as a whole is a problem. To try to pin it on just one company isn't fair. Disney will say they are safest wearing masks and such. Vaccinating employees. They'll look like (to the majority) that they are doing enough. Compared to evil competitor they'll look like a golden child. Feel as you wish about "shutting things down" but the problem isn't just one company.
Don't assume I support " shutting things down ".

jlhwdw

What good? Wow. I guess I remain the only realist around here. The “sky is falling” snark was also uncalled for. The pearl clutching is so so old.
If you shut Disney down then I'll go to Universal. Shut all the Florida parks down and I'll fly up to Cedar Point or Kings Island.

Shut every park down and I'll recreate another way.

Your constant battling and worst case "nothing will ever be ok ever again" dread is so so old.

Lilofan

Your phrasing here suggests that @Parker in NYC is calling for people not to engage in recreational activities, but I don't think that's what they're saying at all. There are plenty of things to do and places to go that don't involve crowding together in a theme park.
In regards to enjoying open spaces like a park, Central Park in NYC comes to mind, however in regards to safety, I wouldn't be in that area at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom