News Disneyland Magic Key Program (all pass types will be available to purchase beginning March 5, 2024)

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Announcement comes tomorrow on the new pass program-

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 12.15.29 PM.png

Stevek

My underwhelming expectation is a loyalty program. Buy 10 visits and get the 11th for half-price or something.

View attachment 576731
I don't think you'll be that far off. Maybe more like Buy 5, get 1 free?

Tangent...I have worked for the same company for almost 30 years. One of our specialties is harnessing frequent shopper data in grocery stores and delivering incentives (printed coupons and digital) to a retailers shoppers. Many years ago, when I really wanted to work for Disney, I thought that Disney should be doing the same things with their APs. They should have been looking at what people are purchasing or more importantly, what they aren't, and developed programs to get nudge people to a certain behavior. See guest A has been to the parks 10 times and their AP number has never been seen in a meal purchase, push them an offer via their next purchase (assuming it's not dining) offering them a % off of a meal at any restaurant. Disney did this with merchandise discounts but from what I could tell, completely failed to harness all of this possible data they could have (and may have) been gathering from a giant AP population.

mikenatcity1

They must be struggling to fill the parks if they are launching this so soon.
it seems like it...especially once schools go back in session and people stop traveling. I can tell you from a lot of the people in the area, the wonder of going to Disneyland is gone and most locals (including myself) don't want to keep paying $100s to go to a park...maybe around Christmas, but not now- nothing new (the merchandise is still the same as it is in Downtown Disney).

waltography

My underwhelming expectation is a loyalty program. Buy 10 visits and get the 11th for half-price or something.

View attachment 576731
I think the name implies it too; you're buying "keys" to the kingdom and the more keys you buy the more... magic you get?

I'm curious at what price point they're gonna put this at. Totally spitballing, but could it be a tiered system where purchasing additional visits costs less (so your fifth visit costs less than your first)?

SoCalDisneyLover

Well, it appears my days of visiting Disneyland regularly, probably ended in March 2020.

I paid $600 for my Flex Pass, but now I'll probably get maybe 1 pass every couple of years, like I used to. I'm sure there are more than enough die hard fans who will buy into whatever program they put out. Enough that losing someone like myself, won't matter.

There's simply no way I'm going to be interested in some program where you purchase a certain # of days, to get 1 free. Doesn't work for me, or excite me at all.

Knott's is my new theme park going forward. It's not Disneyland, but it offers the kind of value I am looking for. One where I don't have to count how many full priced visits I have left, before I get the 1-day bonus. Where EVERY visit, I don't feel the need to spend a full day, rather than pop in for a few hours.

mickEblu

How lame this ends up being depends on how they view this new program. Do they view the Magic Key program as some temporary thing until they inevitably bring back APs in some form? Or do they view this as the future? I guess it all depends on what the guest response is. Originally I thought whatever this new program ended up being was going to be temporary until they felt ok about packing the parks again but seeing that they are already ok with that maybe this is it.

Tamandua

Maybe they'll just build everything into the app. You get one boarding pass for X number of rides per visit. Additional rides cost extra. 1% discount on merch and 0.5% discount on food.

Lil Copter Cap

With the name being singular ("Key"), I assume it's going to be a tiered system. Bronze Key. Silver Key. Gold. Platinum. Much like Paris with access on certain days/certain amount of days.

We'll know soon enough.

waltography

User hopemax over in the Disneyland thread had a pretty informational post that it throws back to an older product that was attraction-based. Thought I’d share here as well. Still supports the idea mentioned that this product may be along the lines of purchasing x number of “keys” to the kingdom.
Thanks for sharing! Makes a lot of sense, and unfortunately gives me a lot of dread for tomorrow's announcement.

Knott's is my new theme park going forward. It's not Disneyland, but it offers the kind of value I am looking for. One where I don't have to count how many full priced visits I have left, before I get the 1-day bonus. Where EVERY visit, I don't feel the need to spend a full day, rather than pop in for a few hours.
Universal will probably become my base park moving forward if Disney's new program doesn't appeal to me. All the California neighbor ticket has shown me is I hate going with the frequency of an AP with the necessary energy to justify a ticket. I much preferred the pass because it gave me the security to know that I didn't need to go so hard on a day since there'd be a next time to catch the experiences I missed.

VJ

With the name being singular ("Key"), I assume it's going to be a tiered system. Bronze Key. Silver Key. Gold. Platinum. Much like Paris with access on certain days/certain amount of days.

We'll know soon enough.
i'm not expecting guaranteed park access at all because that'd render the reservations moot

plus hey, you can squeeze more money out of rubes guests if you have a per-visit rewards program - after 3 park admissions you get 1 free park admission or whatever

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom