What is this? A fuse box?

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
2003 VW Beetle went dead. The AAA Battery Service guy said he did not want to attempt to jump start it because of this looking in need of servicing...
20210801_162713_HDR.jpg

Clamman73

There might be something unrelated going on…i don’t know but check this out.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
There might be something unrelated going on…i don’t know but check this out.
I read it. Thank you for sharing that. The car in the article was a 2001. There was a class action lawsuit. The VW corporation re-did the design in 2002 so it should not be the answer regarding my daughter's 2003.
My daughter's VW was so blazing hot a couple of weeks ago,
The first thermostat that was put in worked for 24 hours and then we were back in the blazing hot problem again.
The mechanic said it must have been "defective" and he put in another one.
Now 2 weeks late this problem.
I'm done with THAT mechanic.
My daughter's car will be evaluated by someone else tomorrow.
@Clamman73 , I am grateful for your help.
Tomorrow I will let you know what happens ;)

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
The car is being evaluated by a business I've gone to for over a decade....
They say my theory of the car's coolant system failing twice causing a melted fuse box cover and melted wires is wrong.
Wrong. Wrong Wrong.
It has to be an electrical issue that caused the WIRES to melt like that.
A new fuse box is being delivered to them at 1pm.
We'll likely need a new battery as well.

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
End result, $423 which reflects 1)Labor 2) A new battery 3)A new fuse box
Mr. Tire's Representative stated: "There was an electrical shortage in the battery, causing the alternator to compensate and thus the alternator over charged...over compensated...that caused the burned wires associated with the fuse box"
Thank you @Clamman73
You were a great help !

Last edited:

yensid1967

I USE to go to MR TIRE too...until I finally wised up...they were finding 'something' wrong everytime I went in! Racked my credit card to the max! Found a good mechanic now who is honest! even let's you pay on time if you don't have the money right away!

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I USE to go to MR TIRE too...until I finally wised up...they were finding 'something' wrong everytime I went in! Racked my credit card to the max! Found a good mechanic now who is honest! even let's you pay on time if you don't have the money right away!
I'm glad you have someone you respect and trust. That is truly great!
I think the Mr. Tire shops will vary depending on who is the local independent owner/manager.
Just because you had a bad experience does not mean every Mr. Tire in the USA is like that.
I keep a skeptical attitude each visit.
Often they do NOT find or suggest anything.
I'll stick with them for now ;)
Thanks for taking the time to post here :)

yensid1967

I'm glad you have someone you respect and trust. That is truly great!
I think the Mr. Tire shops will vary depending on who is the local independent owner/manager.
Just because you had a bad experience does not mean every Mr. Tire in the USA is like that.
I keep a skeptical attitude each visit.
Often they do NOT find or suggest anything.
I'll stick with them for now ;)
Thanks for taking the time to post here :)
Agree not bashing MR TIRE just giving my experience!

Smiley/OCD

Steve, next time you need service, try Tranz-Connection on Washington St. (just off 37) in Toms River…I’ve been dealing with Bobby for almost 30 years…very honest and fair…if you don’t need it, he doesn’t sell it to you.
Try him for just an oil change just to meet him (he does oil changes at 8am, not during the day) GREAT GUY

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom